Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Voting maps of past elections

Chaos seems to be the norm back then. But no one locked their doors, either.

everything I know about the 60's I learned from video montages that consist of Kennedy getting shot, the civil rights movement, hippies dancing in San Francisco, Vietnam, Woodstock, and the other Kennedy getting shot.

the 60's were all very confusing, and impossible to make sense of. no one knew what the fuck was happening. in fact, the chaos was so overwhelming that America stayed collectively hung over and blacked out until 1980.

everything I know about the 60's I learned from video montages that consist of Kennedy getting shot, the civil rights movement, hippies dancing in San Francisco, Vietnam, Woodstock, and the other Kennedy getting shot.

the 60's were all very confusing, and impossible to make sense of. no one knew what the fuck was happening. in fact, the chaos was so overwhelming that America stayed collectively hung over and blacked out until 1980.

...when everyone woke up and elected Reagan? Not the narrative I expected from you. I guess it was morning in America though.

...when everyone woke up and elected Reagan? Not the narrative I expected from you. I guess it was morning in America though.

Well he was born in 1980, or just about.

So it certainly was morning for him anyway, in America, or anywhere else he would have been.

Maybe I laid it on too thick there. was mocking the dumbass Time magazine-like "The 60's are too complicated to understand so just accept that and don't think too hard about" view of the 60's.

no one was responsible for racism; it was just like that, then the 60's happened and everyone realized it was bad and stopped being racist. it's over, move
on.

no one understands how the Vietnam War started, why we were there, etc. so just rub you chin thoughtfully and move on. be sure to support the next war we get in though.

Hippies? they had nothing worthwhile to say. they just did too many drugs. drugs are bad, don't do drugs.

Maybe I laid it on too thick there. was mocking the dumbass Time magazine-like "The 60's are too complicated to understand so just accept that and don't think too hard about" view of the 60's.

no one was responsible for racism; it was just like that, then the 60's happened and everyone realized it was bad and stopped being racist. it's over, move
on.

no one understands how the Vietnam War started, why we were there, etc. so just rub you chin thoughtfully and move on. be sure to support the next war we get in though.

Hippies? they had nothing worthwhile to say. they just did too many drugs. drugs are bad, don't do drugs.

Anyone who thinks that time can be segmented into 10-year epochs with completely different views of life is not paying attention. What a silly way to view history.

Anyone who thinks that time can be segmented into 10-year epochs with completely different views of life is not paying attention. What a silly way to view history.

This is how historic eras should be delineated:

4.8 Fielding H. Yost (1901?1923, 1925?1926)
4.9 George Little (1924)
4.10 Elton "Tad" Wieman (1927?1928)
4.11 Harry Kipke (1929?1937)
4.12 Fritz Crisler (1938?1947)
4.13 Bennie Oosterbaan (1948?1958)
4.14 Bump Elliott (1959?1968)
4.15 Bo Schembechler (1969?1989)
4.16 Gary Moeller (1990?1994)
4.17 Lloyd Carr (1995?2007)
4.18 Rich Rodriguez (2008?2010)
4.19 Brady Hoke (2011?2014)
4.20 Jim Harbaugh (2015?present)

I don't think that, nor was I saying that.

I know, for example, the roots of the Vietnam conflict go back much further, at least to the 19th century French colonialism. the decision to escalate in the 60's was very much made in the Pentagon & WhiteHouse after the fraudulent Gulf of Tonkin incident, and were easily avoidable IF we wanted to avoid a military quagmire. Ho Chi Minh had reached out to us post-WWII. we ignored him, and made the decision to bankroll the French military effort in the 50's.

the whole conflict, who wanted it, why it happened, who profited from it, and how and why we lost, none of those things are unknowns. just like the history of racial oppression and the Civil Rights movement, backlash to consumerism of the 1950's, the roots and causes of the Drug War... all that information is out there, but is intentionally obscured in the history books.

I don't think that, nor was I saying that.

I know, for example, the roots of the Vietnam conflict go back much further, at least to the 19th century French colonialism. the decision to escalate in the 60's was very much made in the Pentagon & WhiteHouse after the fraudulent Gulf of Tonkin incident, and were easily avoidable IF we wanted to avoid a military quagmire. Ho Chi Minh had reached out to us post-WWII. we ignored him, and made the decision to bankroll the French military effort in the 50's.

the whole conflict, who wanted it, why it happened, who profited from it, and how and why we lost, none of those things are unknowns. just like the history of racial oppression and the Civil Rights movement, backlash to consumerism of the 1950's, the roots and causes of the Drug War... all that information is out there, but is intentionally obscured in the history books.

Ho Chi and Geo. Washington. Hard to tell the two apart. I know that Viet Nam was a mess from the get go, but Ho Chi was no proponent of self-government.

Ho Chi and Geo. Washington. Hard to tell the two apart. I know that Viet Nam was a mess from the get go, but Ho Chi was no proponent of self-government.

well...

he reached out to us first: link, link.

Imagine what could have been if we listened, instead of backing the French, then occupying S Vietnam and bombing the shit out of N Vietnam, Cambodia, & Laos.

and the underlying rationale, the "Domino Theory" only held up for 2-3 years after the fall of saigon, when Vietnam invaded Cambodia, and China invaded Vietnam.

and I only know this stuff because I was "brainwashed" by the liberal elitist college professor who taught History 218 at Michigan. it was not taught in any of my history books in grade school, or high school. gee, I wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator:
well...

he reached out to us first: link, link.

Imagine what could have been if we listened, instead of backing the French, then occupying S Vietnam and bombing the shit out of N Vietnam, Cambodia, & Laos.

Listened to Ho Chi the Communist? In 1946? Good luck with that. I mean it's clear the guy is on par with Adams, Madison and Frankin in regards to personal freedom and expression. It's why he wanted to include S. Vietnam in his "vision" of "independence."

and I only know this stuff because I was "brainwashed" by the liberal elitist college professor who taught History 218 at Michigan. it was not taught in any of my history books in grade school, or high school. gee, I wonder why?

We didn't take Viet Nam history because it was not history yet. But I knew this stuff as well at the time because I watched Lou Gordon. Who was the professor?

Last edited:
Listened to Ho Chi the Communist? In 1946? Good luck with that. I mean it's clear the guy is on par with Adams, Madison and Frankin in regards to personal freedom and expression. It's why he wanted to include S. Vietnam in his "vision" of "independence."

he won independence for his people at a terrible cost, but still. I am not endorsing communism, but really after we rebuffed his overtures and backed France against him, he did what he had to do.

We didn't take Viet Nam history because it was not history yet. But I knew this stuff as well at the time because I watched Lou Gordon. Who was the professor?

ah, good point.

the prof was Victor Lieberman. he's still there (i had to check the dept listing to remember the name)

the prof was Victor Lieberman. he's still there (i had to check the dept listing to remember the name)

I had him too. Really liked him.

http://i.imgur.com/8kuwcII.png?1

I'd never seen it presented like this before. The 60's must have been crazy. Just looking at 1956 and then 1964...hard to imagine.

i kinda got us off topic.

but yeah, the 60's were crazy. notice anything in particular about the differences between teh 1960 and 1964 maps?

arguably the craziest map is 1976, where Carter got the whole South to go blue, post-Civil Rights era. then Reagan went to Mississippi and said (basically) "like you I also hate black people and I think you are right and good to be a bunch of openly racist fucks" and the South turned bright red and stayed that way to this very day.

Last edited by a moderator:
i kinda got us off topic.

but yeah, the 60's were crazy. notice anything in particular about the differences between teh 1960 and 1964 maps?

arguably the craziest map is 1976, where Carter got the whole South to go blue, post-Civil Rights era. then Reagan went to Mississippi and said (basically) "like you I also hate black people and I think you are right and good to be a bunch of openly racist fucks" and the South turned bright red and stayed that way to this very day.

Not bright red. The margin of victory in most of the Southern states in '80 was less than 5%. And 92 and 96 were the same in most Southern states.

There's a big chunk in the middle that always votes together.
Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah...36 votes. Roughly Texas. I think that's the biggest contiguous alliance. More votes in the NE, but they don't always go the same way.

Back