Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

SOCIAL SECURITY

tsmith7559 said:
why would people be opposed to having it privatized?

Because for some reason people believe the government is more responsible than the private sector. Why? I will never know.

great idea... taking that money from a secure, low-risk, government fund backed by stable treasury bills, and giving it to Wall Street to gamble away couldn't possibly backfire... right?

All I know us that I could make good use of that lump sum that I've accumulated and I'd make it grow a lot faster than the gub'mint can.

MSUspartan said:
tsmith7559 said:
why would people be opposed to having it privatized?

Because for some reason people believe the government is more responsible than the private sector. Why? I will never know.

jesus... maybe because the private sector just tanked the whole freaking banking industry in 2008 and required a massive government bailout to prevent a bank run and economic collapse?

were you asleep from January 2008 to March 2009?

My god... some of you should never vote again. Or even leave your mom's basement.

ok, so we give the our money to a government 17 Trillion dollars in debt and they mix the money into the general fund and say we will honor payments in the future? how can they promise such a thing?

MichChamp02 said:
great idea... taking that money from a secure, low-risk, government fund backed by stable treasury bills, and giving it to Wall Street to gamble away couldn't possibly backfire... right?

so those T bills, who pays for them.....US! we pay ourselves back on money we already invested....nice

MichChamp02 said:

It's my money. Let me risk it as I wish. I don't want it doled out to me like it was some sort of allowance.

tsmith7559 said:
ok, so we give the our money to a government 17 Trillion dollars in debt and they mix the money into the general fund and say we will honor payments in the future? how can they promise such a thing?

+

There is no money for Social Security! It's almost gone...rightttt we should trust the government. I feel so much better now.

smayschmouthfootball said:
MichChamp02 said:

It's my money. Let me risk it as I wish. I don't want it doled out to me like it was some sort of allowance.

Can't argue this at all. The government believes we are too stupid to make our own choice.

The government sucks at pretty much anything it does. Give the power back to the people.

sad little truth, its nothing more than a tax with future promises of payback......Madoff was a saint compared to the SS debt

MichChamp02 said:
MSUspartan said:

jesus... maybe because the private sector just tanked the whole freaking banking industry in 2008 and required a massive government bailout to prevent a bank run and economic collapse?

My god... some of you should never vote again. Or even leave your mom's basement.

You think that the government was not complicit in this? The K-constant cadre of government officials who dissolve and solidify from Bank CEOs to high-level economic advisers in the recent presidential administrations has remained the same for 30-plus years!

MichChamp02 said:
MSUspartan said:

psst, tanked? the government is $17 trillion in debt what do you called that...we have $50 Trillion in unfunded mandates, wakeup,

Its stupid to think that the US population is smart enough to manage that money for retirement. Most americans are in debt and you think giving them their retirement is a good idea?

Social Security has not contributed one dime to the debt, never missed a payment, is solvent for 27 years at least(with below average projections for taxes and GDP growth) and projected after that to at least cover 80% of coverage with no tweaks or completely solvent if we raise the income cap.

What the fuck is wrong with some people?

hockeywings said:
Its stupid to think that the US population is smart enough to manage that money for retirement. Most americans are in debt and you think giving them their retirement is a good idea?

Social Security has not contributed one dime to the debt, never missed a payment, is solvent for 27 years at least(with below average projections for taxes and GDP growth) and projected after that to at least cover 80% of coverage with no tweaks or completely solvent if we raise the income cap.

So people are in debt so they shouldn't manage their own SS, correct?

So the government is in debt so they SHOULD manage OUR SS?

Doesn't make sense to me. There needs to be options.

On a per person basis you are in $48,061 debt because of the federal government. Besides a mortgage, the general public is not putting themselves in that type of hole.

hockeywings said:

Social Security lost money this year, they took in less than they collected, LOL.

Yup, just take it away from the 4.3 Trillion it has taken in extra from years past

one of the biggest misinformation campaigns waged by conservatives is that government budgets need to be managed like household budgets.

certainly, the government should not waste money, and should spend it prudently, but the idea that the government should not carry debt, or run deficits is nonsense, and is absolutely based on fraudulent economic theory.

there are many people who *think* they could manage their own investments, specifically for retirement. FEW of them actually could.

and since our society frowns on leaving old people out in the street to die from exposure when they get too old and feeble to feed themselves and wash themselves, elderly care is not an individual choice, but a cost society often has to bear.

MichChamp02 said:
one of the biggest misinformation campaigns waged by conservatives is that government budgets need to be managed like household budgets.

certainly, the government should not waste money, and should spend it prudently, but the idea that the government should not carry debt, or run deficits is nonsense, and is absolutely based on fraudulent economic theory.

there are many people who *think* they could manage their own investments, specifically for retirement. FEW of them actually could.

and since our society frowns on leaving old people out in the street to die from exposure when they get too old and feeble to feed themselves and wash themselves, elderly care is not an individual choice, but a cost society often has to bear.

It's good to hear the our $15 TRILLION dollar debt is good for the economy. I was getting worried.

Households run on debt all the time...mortgage, credit card, etc. The fact is our government is irresponsible.

Good, lets keep the party that blew up that debt out of office, vote not republican.

Back