Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DeAndre Jordan

food4thought

I think it would be wise to offer him and see how badly the Clippers want him. I see no likelyhood of us landing Gasol (and think he will be overpriced), while Chandler and Oden are too big of an injury risk for the money they'll get (we have too many amnesty worthy contracts as it is). If we can land him he can grow with the younger core we have (Stuckey, Knight, Monroe), if we can't no great loss since I see no real difference maker available to us this offseason, at least none that fit a rebuilding mode.

Otherwise we should save the amnesty for next season when the free agent class is much stronger, or save it until Rip's contract expires and have a large chunk of cap to work with in one offseason.

Jordan is all about the price. He's all but useless offensively (no handle, no shot outside 5 feet, not particularly aware), and his defense isn't elite. He CAN be pretty good defensively, but he's not locked in enough to be a consistent defensive force. In the last CBA, he would get 10 million on potential alone. We can't possibly risk that much on potential. Moreover, we simply cannot afford good-but-not-great players making that much money with the more punitive measures in place with this CBA.

I think if we are really looking at free agency, it has to be a for a really good player (Gasol) or a really good fit (Afflalo). Jordan doesn't bring enough to the table to be offering him enough that the Clippers don't match.

Pretty sure the Clippers will resign him anyways. Isn't he Griffin's best friend on the team? I wanted us to get Kaman 4ish years ago, but as each year passes, the more that want fades.

To me Jordan is Chandler with a higher ceiling. Long, athletic, good shot blocking ability but has a better athletism on the offensive end as far as slips and dunks. I personally like Jordan n think he could grow into a very solid NBA player but you guys are spot on when you say it has to come at a very solid price (which it probably won't)

everyoneneedsasmil said:
Jordan is all about the price. He's all but useless offensively (no handle, no shot outside 5 feet, not particularly aware), and his defense isn't elite. He CAN be pretty good defensively, but he's not locked in enough to be a consistent defensive force. In the last CBA, he would get 10 million on potential alone. We can't possibly risk that much on potential. Moreover, we simply cannot afford good-but-not-great players making that much money with the more punitive measures in place with this CBA.

I think if we are really looking at free agency, it has to be a for a really good player (Gasol) or a really good fit (Afflalo). Jordan doesn't bring enough to the table to be offering him enough that the Clippers don't match.

Yeah you guys have already blown your good but not great player load on Charlie and ben. Don't even know if Charlie is still "good" either. lol

Ugh. I remember two years of trying to talk myself into AI and then Ben/Charlie. Complete duds the lot of them.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
Ugh. I remember two years of trying to talk myself into AI and then Ben/Charlie. Complete duds the lot of them.

As much as I loved ben Gordons hot streaks I was estatic when the pistons threw that cash at him.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
I think if we are really looking at free agency, it has to be a for a really good player (Gasol) or a really good fit (Afflalo)..

Ugh....damnit joe. Letting him go really pissed me off.

Yeah, the Afflalo thing kills me too. I understand the reasoning - never going to get time behind Rip who was still good at the time and Gordon. But he was deadly from 3 even when we had him. I don't see why he was the one to go when it was such a cheap salary dump anyway. Just another casualty of the AI-Gordon-Charlie debacle.

He was good from 3 and seemed like the epitome of what Joe would want his players to be. Always played hard, solid defender, never bitched.

But yeah. I toed the company line on that whole deal, but it's clear that it turned out to be a complete disaster.

DeAndre JOrdan is nothing more than a poor man's black Beidrens.. I don't think he'll ever be a factor offensively, but at the right price he is exactly what we need next to Monroe..

Back