Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bobby Carpenter resigns.

Mitchrapp

Northern Michigan Wildcats
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/8/3/2341981/bobby-carpenter-detroit-lions-nfl-free-agency

The vacancy on the roster and at linebacker created by the move to release Zack Follett looks like it will be filled by Bobby Carpenter. Just as rumors suggested, Carpenter has agreed to a deal with the Lions and is planning to re-sign today, according to Dave Birkett. Lions team president Tom Lewand says the move is pending a physical.

After the Lions upgraded their group of linebackers with Justin Durant and Stephen Tulloch, it looked like Carpenter could end up signing with another team. His chances of starting with the Lions greatly dropped with the moves made last week, so there was no guarantee he would return to Detroit with playing time potentially being limited.

Now that Carpenter is set to re-sign with the Lions, the linebacker position has some solid depth. Carpenter made two starts last season and played very well for the Lions down the stretch. Before the Lions added Tulloch I was thinking Carpenter would be in the mix to start, but now he will be returning as a backup and someone who is ready to start if injuries happen.

With DeAndre Levy, Durant, Tulloch, Ashlee Palmer, Doug Hogue, Isaiah Ekejiuba and Carpenter likely making up the linebacking corps, this position has gone from a weakness to a strength very quickly.

More depth. I thought he played okay last season.

happy with this. follett is twice the ST player but half the LB.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]happy with this. follett is twice the ST player but half the LB.

and unfortunately for Zack, he's now a ST player who can't hit anybody

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]happy with this. follett is twice the ST player but half the LB.

Well as a Cowboys fan let me tell you... Bobby Carpenter was known for his special teams play and was a TERRIBLE linebacker. Zero toughness, zero ability to shed a block, and was thrown around like a rag doll. He was only around because he played very well on special teams. I dont know much about Follett but if he's half the line backer Bobby Carpenter is, he should be cut and head to Canada.

Bobby actually played LB pretty well last year.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]Bobby actually played LB pretty well last year.

No offense but I think that just means you guys have forgotten what real linebacking looks like. lol Paris Lenon ruined Detroit expectations. I have a hard time believing that Miss Carpenter got that much better after his stops in Dallas and STL. Maybe he started a roid cycle.

He was no stud obviously, but played well enough to be a solid backup for most teams.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]He was no stud obviously, but played well enough to be a solid backup for most teams.

Thats good. I was glad to see him go though. I was never impressed with him in college and then when Dallas drafted him so soon with a broken foot or whatever it was I was disgusted.

I think we're missing one important point.

Wait for it..He's a Cowboy fan. Holy Roy E. Williams.

lol he's a Wolverine fan, so I can forgive him, especially since we took advantage of Jerry Jones. It's hilarious because cowboy fans were so excited.

While I was pissed about the price we paid for a player no one was going to give up a 2nd rounder for at that time, I will admit I thought Roy was going to be revived and have a solid 3-4 years in Dallas. We all F*** up from time to time. lol

Back