Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Well, if a computer model says so....

inkfreq

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...off-odds-five-thirty-eight-football-outsiders

I will say on a serious note, Nate Silver's prediction model has been about the most accurate model we've seen thus far. However, I do not believe there will ever come a time when a computer can predict a sporting event with enough accuracy to be reliable.

Computers don't understand when a guy has the flu, or just doesn't want to play as hard. Computers don't account for bad turf, odd winds, or the inevitable Ed Hochuli "WTF Play of the Game" where the refs make a call while scratching their heads and trying not to look too much like underdeveloped gorillas.

Computers can't account for fan noise, or even momentum shifts after a couple of lucky throws in a row.

I don't buy into this stuff at all... but while ever Lions fan thinks we're coming up empty, the computers say it's a good day to be a Lions fan.

I'm pretty sure most of us are predicting 8-9 wins, same as HAL.

Marshall Faulk predicted playoffs for us too. And i quote..."it's time"

Back