Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Great Story About Longsnapper Don Muhlbach

newton83

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/09/death_taxes_don_freaking_muhlb_2.html

Some of my favorite parts:
Muhlbach's game is so next-level, forget about his speed and accuracy, both of which are the class of the league. He can actually control the rotations on the ball so it arrives laces out nine times out of 10. The holder doesn't have to do anything other than catch the football and set it on its tip.

That's not normal.

"That," special teams coordinator Joe Marciano said, "is amazing."

Did you know he doesn't just throw the football before every game? That he throws it so hard, he's dislocated fingers on the poor staffers who catch for him? (Yes, plural.)

It seems everyone has a story. Don Carey, one of Detroit's top gunners, tells a good one. He and safety Glover Quin were throwing the ball around after practice one day, trying to hit the goal posts and throw it into trash bins and stuff like that.

Then Muhlbach walks in. He grabs a football, squats over the 30-yard line and hikes the ball right into the goal post.

There's a bunch more good stuff in there, like how Stafford likes to prank him. Read up, y'all!

Of course, the title should say Muhlbach, with an "h" not a "k". D'oh!

Thats awesome.

Don Freaking Muhlbach before Don Freaking Kelly.

I might spring for his jersey next season.

Last edited:
This whole article is gold. Great share, thank you. Some of my favorite parts not yet mentioned:

"I'll never forget the week we signed him," Hanson says. "This is back when Steve Mariucci was around, and coach was like, 'Hey, here's our new guy.' (Punter/holder Nick Harris) was already looking at me wide-eyed. He thought this guy was shooting the balls out of a shotgun at him. It was as fast as he's ever seen.

"Coach was like, 'Watch how fast this is! How cool this is!' And we were like, 'No, don't encourage him! Slow it down!'"

Ask around about what could make someone so good at something so weird, for so long, and a picture begins to emerge.

"Anal," coach Jim Caldwell says. "OCD," kicker Matt Prater says. "A freak," quarterback Matthew Stafford says, "and he needs to be medicated, to be honest."

"Probably," Muhlbach sighs a couple lockers away.

And my favorite bit:

Muhlbach said... "It's about routine, really. I just love change so much, and if there's a way to imply sarcasm in print, I want you to do that."

Back