Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Free Agents

inkfreq

Normally this time of year, we're talking about which other team's free agents we should try to sign. This year, I'm gonna talk about our own free agents we should be bringing back.

Here is a list of our free agents after this season:

QB Shawn Hill
RB Joique Bell
WR Kris Durham
TE Brandon Pettigrew
OT Jason Fox
C Don Muhlbach
C Dominic Riola
DL Israel Idonije
DL Austen Lane
DL Willie Young
CB Rashean Mathis
FS Don Carey

Not an overwhelming list at, and not exactly filled with star caliber names that will break the bank, but I do see a few names I think we need to resign.

Durham, Bell, Muhlbach, Riola, Idonije, Mathis, Carey, and Young.

Durham and Bell have become a big portion of the skill positions in our offense, and both are coming along nicely as solid players.

Muhlbach because really... what is a long snapper going to cost us anyway?

Riola because he's been a stud this season, and I think he's earned one more if he wants it and doesn't get stupid with his money demands.

Don Carey is a solid ST guy who's developing into a pretty darned good player.

Mathis has been our best CB this season when healthy.

Young... flashes of talent, too many stupid penalties. I could take him or leave him really, but since he's not getting paid big anywhere next year, he might as well not get paid big in Detroit.

Bell, Pettigrew and Raiola are definitely must signs. Mathis and Young would be nice to retain. Muhlbach will resign and is one of the better LS out there. Don Carey Played well against Chicago and I am interested to see if he gets more PT because he changed that game defensively in the second half.

I would have to add Hill as well, he's been a solid backup in the past and as we have seen from many other teams this season a solid backup is a must.

Bell and Durham will be restricted free agents. Won't be tough to re-sign them.

Hill, Young and Pettigrew are must resigns.

Idonije not necessary with the development of Taylor and Jason Jones back.

Mathis depends on Slay.

Also we'll need to extend Suh (which will lower his 21 million cap number), have Burleson take another pay cut(7 million cap number for next year) and do something with Delmas contract. Delmas cap number will be around 6-8 million with him playing every game so far. Maybe a longer extension for Delmas if he continues to stay healthy.

Bell and Durham will be restricted free agents. Won't be tough to re-sign them.

Hill, Young and Pettigrew are must resigns.

Idonije not necessary with the development of Taylor and Jason Jones back.

Mathis depends on Slay.

Also we'll need to extend Suh (which will lower his 21 million cap number), have Burleson take another pay cut(7 million cap number for next year) and do something with Delmas contract. Delmas cap number will be around 6-8 million with him playing every game so far. Maybe a longer extension for Delmas if he continues to stay healthy.

I don't think delmas has been worth 6-8 mil personally. Maybe its health....but you can get a lot better for 6-8 mil on the open market.

I don't think delmas has been worth 6-8 mil personally. Maybe its health....but you can get a lot better for 6-8 mil on the open market.

Agreed that is alot for any safety. An extension for him could lower his cap number at least for 2 years actually but a longer term extension is still very risky for him. Giving him similar to what Quin got is possible. It's a tough call what to do with him next year by Mayhew. My guess is they'll extend him because they love him. Depends on his health the rest of the season though.

I'd let Hill, Young, Idonije and Mathis walk if we could get the CB Verner from the Titans.

Top priority has to be resigning Suh. After that Bell, Pettigrew, Young would be next on my list.

I'm not sold on Pettigrew only because he's going to want a raise from a 1st round deal signed prior to the rookie cap, so he's not going to resign cheap. With Fauria there, we have flexibility to let Grew go if need be.

Hill is a solid backup, but I think we can get by with Moore just as easily, and pick up a developmental prospect in the draft.

I'm not sold on Pettigrew only because he's going to want a raise from a 1st round deal signed prior to the rookie cap, so he's not going to resign cheap. With Fauria there, we have flexibility to let Grew go if need be.

Hill is a solid backup, but I think we can get by with Moore just as easily, and pick up a developmental prospect in the draft.

Cue LKP. "But Pettigrew can BEEELOOOOCK!"

I don't disagree with LKP either. I think Pettigrew (Droptimus Prime) is far better than people give him credit for.

However, he's going to be asking for top 3 TE money out of the Lions, and we can't afford it. So bye bye, and we move on.

I don't disagree with LKP either. I think Pettigrew (Droptimus Prime) is far better than people give him credit for.

However, he's going to be asking for top 3 TE money out of the Lions, and we can't afford it. So bye bye, and we move on.

if im mayhew and pettigrew is in my office and asks for top 3 TE money. I immediately stand up...unzip my zipper....and piss all over him.

if im mayhew and pettigrew is in my office and asks for top 3 TE money. I immediately stand up...unzip my zipper....and piss all over him.

No way he gets top 3 money from us or anybody. If that happens I agree with this quote.

Nature of the business guys... players get more money with each contract from the same team.

Grew signed a big old fashioned 1st round rookie deal. He's not taking less money now, he's wanting more or he walks.

... so he walks.

I know the line has played well this year, but I don't see the value in bringing back Raiola. He was terrible when the line was terrible, and he's been adequate with two strong guards doing most of the work. If he comes back cheap, sure, no problem keeping someone who knows the system. But it would probably be a better idea to draft a C in the third or later and just replace him. Raiola is a highly replaceable player.

If Raiola is willing to come back at the veteran's minimum, I'd be ok with it as long as we get a center to develop behind him for 2015. Otherwise, I hope we draft a center in the 3rd or 4th round and giving him an offseason to learn the O-line calls.

I know the line has played well this year, but I don't see the value in bringing back Raiola. He was terrible when the line was terrible, and he's been adequate with two strong guards doing most of the work. If he comes back cheap, sure, no problem keeping someone who knows the system. But it would probably be a better idea to draft a C in the third or later and just replace him. Raiola is a highly replaceable player.

Agreed. ...I think a cheaper option would fill in just fine.

Nature of the business guys... players get more money with each contract from the same team.

Grew signed a big old fashioned 1st round rookie deal. He's not taking less money now, he's wanting more or he walks.

... so he walks.

Not neccesarily true. . The market sets the rate....which is why we let his contract expire. When he realizes he wint get shit on the open market...he then decides to get shit here or get shit elsewhere.

I don't think Pettigrew will ask for top 3 money. I don't care if the trend is to ask for more money on the next contract. He should know that he's not a top 3 tight end and that it would hurt the team more than it'd help it. If he asks for a contract that big, we'll have to move on and let him leave.

Back