Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Steelers loss

If it lights a fire under them good. If it costs them the playoffs bad.

2011 Lions were 7-5 and finished 3-1 to make the playoffs.

Long way to go folks.

Horrible. It shows that even perennially good teams will/have more often than not outcoach(ed) this team to a victory. How in the fuck does Calvin Johnson rack up over 150 yards in one half, and the other half he barely gets looked at, and the Steelers didn't even change up the coverage on him? That's some assclown trying to be "cute" coaching. When things aren't working they force the issue a lot but when things are good the coaches wanna change it up?

For example the lack of sacks; instead of blitzing more they will argue that they won't blitz.

I'm not even mad about the 4th down play because he would have been considered a genius if it had worked, I'm just saying that good coaches of other teams consistently make an ass out of Schwartz and his bunch.

Makes no sense. 179 and 2 TD's in one half, most 2nd quarter. 2nd half, bupkis. I think they only threw to him twice, one being that desperate attempt by Stafford. What a horrible throw.

Makes no sense. 179 and 2 TD's in one half, most 2nd quarter. 2nd half, bupkis. I think they only threw to him twice, one being that desperate attempt by Stafford. What a horrible throw.

The Lions didn't have many plays in the second half because of the Loins long drive followed by the Steelers long drive. 3rd and 5 went to Calvin before the fake FG should have been PI on the Steelers. Bullshit non call. 3rd and 10 it was correct going to Calvin but a terrible throw into double coverage this time while in the first half was a single coverage TD. 2nd and 10 was a great throw by Stafford but Ross dropped the sure first down. The two most pivotal plays they went to Calvin.

The last drive down 10, it didn't matter but they went to Calvin once. Game was over. Stafford threw a strike to Ogletree to give a glimmer of hope deep but Ogletree dropped the bomb.

Two 3 and outs early in the 3rd starting at their own 12 they didn't go for Calvin. The one there was a sack so the pass pro broke down. Calvin may not have gotten open on the 4 pass plays run (1 was a sack). You don't force it on your own 12 yard line.

They had it enough to get him the ball more..do what good teams do to get good players the ball, throw it to CJ behind the line of scrimmage and give him a chance to make a play. Though the way Matt was playing he would have missed his target.

They had it enough to get him the ball more..do what good teams do to get good players the ball, throw it to CJ behind the line of scrimmage and give him a chance to make a play. Though the way Matt was playing he would have missed his target.

On the 3 and outs you may be right. We'd have to see if he got open though on those 3 plays that matter (sack play didn't matter). You don't want to force it in your own 12. See the DeAngelo Hall pick 6. The fake FG drive, they were moving the ball well without him with strikes to Durham and Ross, 2 good Bell runs and Bush converting a first down and big Stafford 3rd and 3 first down run. Plus on the critical play they went to Calvin and it should have been a PI. Defenders ride up Calvin's back early all the time but they don't seem to ever call it. I'd say if Bell was playing too the 2nd and 4 they ran the ball isn't a -1 yard play that Bush slipped.

The second to last drive again on the critcial play they went to him. 1st or 2nd down, was he open, Ross was on 2nd down (correct read), Stafford made a play but Ross dropped it.

There is a lot of blame to throw around, but it should be almost entirely on the defense/defensive coaching. How many balls were dropped that hit recievers directly in thechest or the hands? Even Calvin had a couple in the second half. Of course, it was raining and slippery, but we lost seemingly 6 first downs on dropped passes alone in the second half. The offense scored 27 points and was making the right plays, but the weather was against them.

Giving up 37 points to the otherwise punchless Steelers sporting a bad O-line is ridiculous though. Our DBs couldn't cover anybody at any time, and the playcalling apparently had us ignoring Miller all game. The fact that the Steelers have a poor O-line, yet we refused to blitz more and take advantage is stupid. Coaches should have known by the end of the first quarter that our DBs needed more help, yet we failed to adjust whatsoever.

I think the loss itself doesn't mean a whole lot. We are still first in the division, we still have an easy schedule, and our playoff destiny is still firmly within our grasp. Now, if this loss can convince ownership to get a better D-coordinator, then it could end up as being positive. There is simply no reason we can't have a better defense with the talent we have in the front 7 and at safety. If we end up dropping more games we should win, and this loss is the difference between playoffs and going home, then it's definitely bad - but no worse than other losses against bad teams would be.

Agreed on blaming the defense. 2nd and 3rd Quarters were pretty good for the D especially with 2 of the FGs, the opposing team started in Lions territory (45 and wherever they started after the Bush fumble). The 1st and 4th Quarter was beyond atrocious and the main reason they lost. That is on the coaching staff and the players though.

The Lions don't blitz because they SUCK at blitzing. Tulloch, Levy or the safeties, almost always get picked up easily on the blitz leaving the back 6 vulnerable. This front 4 should win the job. I don't blame Gunther for not blitzing. He knows we suck at it. The fans don't seem to realize that yet.

There is a lot of blame to throw around, but it should be almost entirely on the defense/defensive coaching. How many balls were dropped that hit recievers directly in thechest or the hands? Even Calvin had a couple in the second half. Of course, it was raining and slippery, but we lost seemingly 6 first downs on dropped passes alone in the second half. The offense scored 27 points and was making the right plays, but the weather was against them.

Giving up 37 points to the otherwise punchless Steelers sporting a bad O-line is ridiculous though. Our DBs couldn't cover anybody at any time, and the playcalling apparently had us ignoring Miller all game. The fact that the Steelers have a poor O-line, yet we refused to blitz more and take advantage is stupid. Coaches should have known by the end of the first quarter that our DBs needed more help, yet we failed to adjust whatsoever.

I think the loss itself doesn't mean a whole lot. We are still first in the division, we still have an easy schedule, and our playoff destiny is still firmly within our grasp. Now, if this loss can convince ownership to get a better D-coordinator, then it could end up as being positive. There is simply no reason we can't have a better defense with the talent we have in the front 7 and at safety. If we end up dropping more games we should win, and this loss is the difference between playoffs and going home, then it's definitely bad - but no worse than other losses against bad teams would be.

The WR sucked. I agree with that. But you don't complete 41% of your passes just on dropped balls. He was very inaccurate.

The WR sucked. I agree with that. But you don't complete 41% of your passes just on dropped balls. He was very inaccurate.

5 dropped balls, 3 batted passes and 1 spike.

The final drive down 10, 6 incompletions in obvious passing situations.

However, I agree in the first half there were huge misses to Bush on 3rd and 2, Ogletree deep, pettigrew in the endzone and whatever the hell he was doing on the 3 incompletions from the 1 yard line.

5 dropped balls, 3 batted passes and 1 spike.

The final drive down 10, 6 incompletions in obvious passing situations.

However, I agree in the first half there were huge misses to Bush on 3rd and 2, Ogletree deep, pettigrew in the endzone and whatever the hell he was doing on the 3 incompletions from the 1 yard line.

Good quarterbacks aren't suppose to do that.

We need Rodgers to hurt his neck, Packers to release him and then sign his ass..ala Peyton Manning. Its our only hope.

Good quarterbacks aren't suppose to do that.

We need Rodgers to hurt his neck, Packers to release him and then sign his ass..ala Peyton Manning. Its our only hope.

My goodness do you overreact on things. Giving up on Stafford. Yeesh.

Stafford has proven he can make the throws he needs to. Dallas and Chicago game show that, Washington game.

He didn't make them on Sunday in the rain. Needed one more probably for the victory. We'll see how he rebounds in these last crucial 6 games.

How many balls were dropped that hit recievers directly in thechest or the hands? Even Calvin had a couple in the second half. Of course, it was raining and slippery, but we lost seemingly 6 first downs on dropped passes alone in the second half.

I know you aren't making the argument so this isn't directed at you, this is just a statement in general.

If it was so wet and slippery, why did it seem like the Steelers had no issues? Ben completed 10 more passes with 1 less attempt than Stafford (resulting in 64.4% completion vs Stafford's 41.3% completion). If one argues that the Steelers were utilizing short throws, why weren't the Lions? Why was Stafford airing it out in wet conditions? Obviously we remember those few drops, but let's not forget some of those awful overthrows. It either comes down to the gameplan/adjustments from Linehan, Schwartz, etc. or Stafford's decision-making, maybe both. Is this team prepared and capable of playing in adverse weather? Something tells me no, which could be a problem, since 4 of the other 5 current NFC playoff teams play in outdoor stadiums.

My goodness do you overreact on things. Giving up on Stafford. Yeesh.

Stafford has proven he can make the throws he needs to. Dallas and Chicago game show that, Washington game.

He didn't make them on Sunday in the rain. Needed one more probably for the victory. We'll see how he rebounds in these last crucial 6 games.

If it was just one game. He has a habit of missing open guys. Especially early.

If it was just one game. He has a habit of missing open guys. Especially early.

Stafford is way way way way more good than bad. He's a good player and the Lions are lucky to have him.

That 97 yard drive by Pittsburgh. Fucking garbage. Everything else pales in comparison to that. That was embarrassing.

Stafford is way way way way more good than bad. He's a good player and the Lions are lucky to have him.

Never said the contrary but when your starting QB, in a winnable game, goes out and completes a pass 41% of the time - something needs to change. Stafford needs to be better.

Last edited:
Back