Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Question about FG holders

grandy

What happened in this game sparked my interest, but it's more of a general question.

Why do teams, such as the Lions, elect to use a punter as the primary FG holder?

Obviously bringing in a skill player in the punter's place as the holder would throw up red flags to the opposing team.

Why not choose to have a backup QB/RB/WR as the primary holder? Players that are familiar with passing and running the ball at the pro level? Wouldn't having a capable skill player as the primary holder leave you with more options in the event of a fake, perhaps even a higher chance of success?

I know this question is mostly irrelevent since fakes rarely happen at the pro level, just curious.

It used to be the back up QB but has switched to the punter since those 2 don't participate in normal practice they can spend more time working on kicking and holding and such.

It used to be the back up QB but has switched to the punter since those 2 don't participate in normal practice they can spend more time working on kicking and holding and such.

That's what I'm reading elsewhere as well, thought there might be more to the decision than that. Seems like a simple job, but even one mistake can be extremely costly at this level.

What happened in this game sparked my interest, but it's more of a general question.

Why do teams, such as the Lions, elect to use a punter as the primary FG holder?

Obviously bringing in a skill player in the punter's place as the holder would throw up red flags to the opposing team.

Why not choose to have a backup QB/RB/WR as the primary holder? Players that are familiar with passing and running the ball at the pro level? Wouldn't having a capable skill player as the primary holder leave you with more options in the event of a fake, perhaps even a higher chance of success?

I know this question is mostly irrelevent since fakes rarely happen at the pro level, just curious.

tell Schwartz to youtube videos of dileo holding for u of M. Dileo probably has the best measurable for any holder in the NFL. Throw in some youtube scouting and you got yourself a solid 4th rd pick for a holder.

That's what I'm reading elsewhere as well, thought there might be more to the decision than that. Seems like a simple job, but even one mistake can be extremely costly at this level.

Yes it does seem simple, and then there's Tony Romo.

Last edited:
Back