Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

PFF Week 1 Grades...Really???

Nah they aren't grading him that way. The way I see it is like saying oh randy moss got a lower grade because he just kept beating guys by ten yards and no one was around so it was easy touchdowns for him. You can't discount someone's raw athletic ability to make things look "easy". Short passing is typically harder for weaker armed qbs as it is usually in tighter coverage and easier for defensive backs to break on. But staffords strong arm allows him to put it on guys before defensive backs can react in time. Throw in receivers who can make guys miss in space and it's a fucking genius combination.

lol...short passes are harder for weaker armed QBs?

Look at Stafford's passes this weekend. Most of the time the guys were wide open because the passes were so quick and short...DBs don't have as much time to make a play.

lol...short passes are harder for weaker armed QBs?

Look at Stafford's passes this weekend. Most of the time the guys were wide open because the passes were so quick and short...DBs don't have as much time to make a play.

Short passes are harder for weak armed qbs. They may be able to complete some of them but it allows more time for dbs to close and not much opportunity for YAC

they are grading him based on the difficulty of the throws, which makes sense.

Playing to his strengths / avoiding his weaknesses is very smart. This is what every coaching staff is supposed to do. Finally, the Lions have a staff that understands!!!

Difficulty of throws??? What a joke. Don't be a fucking sheep.

Staffords throws were easier to make. He line blocked well, his receivers got open, his checkdowns did their job.

I hope every game comes with a lower grade because of it, and I hope every game comes with a W too.

When your weapons do their job, your throws are easier to make. That's called football.

Nah they aren't grading him that way. The way I see it is like saying oh randy moss got a lower grade because he just kept beating guys by ten yards and no one was around so it was easy touchdowns for him. You can't discount someone's raw athletic ability to make things look "easy". Short passing is typically harder for weaker armed qbs as it is usually in tighter coverage and easier for defensive backs to break on. But staffords strong arm allows him to put it on guys before defensive backs can react in time. Throw in receivers who can make guys miss in space and it's a fucking genius combination.

I don't think that is a true comparison. Rand Moss's job is to get open, so if he is open by 10 yards that is a positive thing, even if the ball isn't thrown to him. I'm sure Stafford got credit for making the right read, but his throws were easy. There weren't many tight window in the entire game for either QB.

Who cares what his grade is. If he can keep making easy throws effectively that is a huge improvement.

I don't think that is a true comparison. Rand Moss's job is to get open, so if he is open by 10 yards that is a positive thing, even if the ball isn't thrown to him. I'm sure Stafford got credit for making the right read, but his throws were easy. There weren't many tight window in the entire game for either QB.

Who cares what his grade is. If he can keep making easy throws effectively that is a huge improvement.

Ill say it again....you throw 100% completion percentage to like 8 of your targets.....you had a great day.

Luck threw it further down the field more often....who can blame him?...his guys were all wide open.

Stafford did what he needed to against a shitty defense....good defenses wont allow us to dink and dunk our way to a win.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/how-we-grade/

According to their grading system - Stafford had an 'Average' day.

TkUlwW0.jpg

Clearly anyone who watched the game knows Stafford was excellent, and his QB rating reflects that. As others have mentioned on here, PFF values/grades 'long' throws much higher than short/intermediate throws, which makes sense to a certain degree, but should not be the major factor in rating a QB..

If you look at the below chart, it ranks the QBs in terms of total passing air yards. The top 10 QBs (outside of Cousins) all scored highly on the PFF rankings:

PhM57GV.jpg

1. Luck - PFF Grade = 96 | QB Rating = 119.5 (31/47, 385 yards, 4 TD/0 INT)
2. Brees - PFF Grade = 87.1 | QB Rating = 131.5 (28/42, 423 yards, 4 TD/0 INT)
3. Roethlisberger - PFF Grade = 82.0 | QB Rating = 112.4 (27/37, 300 yards, 3 TD/1 INT)
4. Cousins - PFF Grade = 44.0 | QB Rating = 72.6 (30/43, 329 yards, 0 TD/2 INT)
5. Smith - PFF Grade = 78.8 | QB Rating = 97.8 (34/48, 363 yards, 2 TD/1 INT)
-------
25. Stafford - PFF grade = 77.5 | QB Rating = 128.6 (31/39, 340 yards, 3 TD/0 INT)

Outside of Cousins (who had a horrible game), the top 5 'air yards' leaders had higher PFF rankings, despite the fact that only Brees had a better QB rating week 1 in the entire NFL.

I agree with everyone on here that PFF rankings dont mean shit, and that i'll take this performance out of Stafford every single week, but it does seem like their grading system is flawed...

Last edited:
3rd highest yac % shifts the higher grade to the wrs I'm assuming. It's pretty dumb....stafford put them in the position and got them the ball in a manner that allowed them all those yac yards.

All I care about is one stat.

1-0.

Now let's shore up the defense and get back to work with all the offensive weapons matt has..

Ill say it again....you throw 100% completion percentage to like 8 of your targets.....you had a great day.

Luck threw it further down the field more often....who can blame him?...his guys were all wide open.

Stafford did what he needed to against a shitty defense....good defenses wont allow us to dink and dunk our way to a win.

The dink and dunk game is a great way to beat good defenses. You know why?? It's the most frusturating offense to plan for. Quick and short passes, then hit an occasional long one. Two shifty RBs that are phenomenal pass catchers and if they can even show an inkling of a running game.....LOOK OUT. I know it's early but just sayin......

Dink and dunk keeps Stafford from doing the happy dance.

Two running backs who can catch the ball. A tight end who is very athletic. Three decent above average receivers, and a qb and a coordinator on the same page.
Plus a fairly easy football schedule. Lions need to start the winning years this year.

Oh and i forgot. A new GM from the New England football winning ways !!!!

Back