Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

take a knee for unity

Cliff

"Take a knee for unity" or maybe "social injustice" or maybe because "good reasons".

I don't comment often, but I have been following this board since the ESPN fallout.

Can we all agree that injecting politics is bad for football?

All started with Kap.... I'm with you leave it out of sports but they had no choice with the statements made...

The most powerful statement would have been to ignore him completely. How does this end?

Think about this for a minute. One of the few things that me and my dad talked about on the phone, was the lions. He is a Vietnam veteran. I guarantee that he is pissed off about this.

The NFL is driving the fans apart. Why?

I cannot make sense of what I am witnessing.

All started with Kap.... I'm with you leave it out of sports but they had no choice with the statements made...

I say it all started with the NFL taking money to become a recruiting tool for the military back in 2009. Before then, players weren't even on the field for the anthem.

The protest is primarily about law enforcement's treatment of minorities, and not the Armed Forces, the latter of whom haven't fought a true "freedoms-protecting" war since WWIi.

This topic s/b moved to the NFL General forum, btw.

Last edited:
I have been debating people at work about this as well, and no matter what you think about the protests, the one thing they are not, and never were about is military servicemen/women.

So many people have the incorrect notion that they do the "star spangled banner" or alternatively "America the beautiful" in honor of the troops. It's not about that. It's always been about patriotism and civic pride, and the people protesting that, for right or wrong, and saying there is a problem here, and they're not wrong about that.

I do find it funny that more people look at it as a slight against a group of people it has nothing to do with and never give any thought at all to the reason it was done in the first place.

And as much as Vietnam veterans might be upset, I'm sure that if any were alive today, some of the men who fought, bled, and died for the Union Army and it's cause in the early 1860's would understand completely.

"Take a knee for unity" or maybe "social injustice" or maybe because "good reasons".

I don't comment often, but I have been following this board since the ESPN fallout.

Can we all agree that injecting politics is bad for football?

NFL Football held the syringe and stuck it in its own ass. So the NFL owns it now. It can't simply be a football league anymore and really hasn't been just that since the merger in 1970, IMO.

This "protest" has divided people moreso than ever. If you don't think so then you need your fkn head examined.

Last edited:
That's the problem in all this. People need to stop equating this protest as an attack on veterans and the military, that's not what this is about.

Change is uncomfortable. It's not going to be something that makes those who are against change happy. This is the biggest stage that these players have to make a statement, and they are doing it in a peaceful protest.

The people that go fight for our freedoms allow things like this to happen. The players have done nothing wrong other than sit or take a knee during the playing of a song, that quite frankly really doesn't need to be played at local games. It should be reserved for the international stage.

That's the problem in all this. People need to stop equating this protest as an attack on veterans and the military, that's not what this is about.

Change is uncomfortable. It's not going to be something that makes those who are against change happy. This is the biggest stage that these players have to make a statement, and they are doing it in a peaceful protest.

The people that go fight for our freedoms allow things like this to happen. The players have done nothing wrong other than sit or take a knee during the playing of a song, that quite frankly really doesn't need to be played at local games. It should be reserved for the international stage.

Your first paragraph is exactly what Trump wants. Just tell everyone these guys hate the US, the flag and the military. It doesn't matter if it's not true. His supporters love it and eat i up.. It's been good for the Trump brand for about 2 years now.

Last edited:
I am a veteran and do not take the kneeling during the anthem as an insult. However, I don't agree with it and it is disrespectful which is the point. I get it and think that is each individual's right to protest in such a manner. The problem I have is that they are protesting racial injustice, and I believe it's valid in a lot of cases, but how do you measure such a thing? When do the protests stop? The obvious answer is when there is no longer racial injustice. Again, how is that measured? With cell phones and social media? You're a fool if you believe everything you read and see without knowing all of the facts but I think that's exactly what happens in the political spectrum from all sides involved. In short, I think the end result is people are going to accept the protests once they get bored with the topic, protesters are going to protest, and years down the road people will simply no longer stand for the National Anthem because they don't want to. They only way to defeat the United States is from within and ultimately this is another cog in that wheel.

On the one hand, people are applauding this protest. On the other hand, people are boycotting the NFL and the advertisers.

It doesn't make any sense.

On the one hand, people are applauding this protest. On the other hand, people are boycotting the NFL and the advertisers.

It doesn't make any sense.

There's also people like me that see it for the distraction that it is and think it's overblown.

Back