Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

lions run D a mystery?

tsmith7559 said:
SLICK said:
got beat by the run by Atl and SF.....sure didnt get beat by Matt Ryan or Alex Smith

special teams beat us with SF.... Hanson kicks a 52 yd FG.... 6 pt swing, dont give up the huge return by Ginn....WE WIN

SF GASHED us for over 200+ on the ground.

SLICK said:
manchild98 said:
We're good against the run when it's 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches. Then we seem to stuff everyone, but other than that we are not good at all against the run. Big plays count and you can't remove them. If you get to remove the big play then we should all come to grips that Barry Sanders was actually a terrible running back.

For some unknown reason we have yet to run into an offensive coordinator who has said we are going to run the ball against them 35-40 times. Even when teams run with success against us in the 1st quarter they outsmart themselves and turn to the passing game. I don't get it.

nobody has that 25 - 30 carry horse anymore.

and the WRs all want their touches.

well dammit burleson needs to start demanding some more touches. if defenses continue to run with 2 high safeties, they should have ample space for him to work underneath. there's no saying he cant or shouldnt catch 6-7 balls for 50-60 yds to help keep the chains moving.

I just don't see Nate getting open. I doubt Staff is ignoring him.

tonyballs said:
tsmith7559 said:
special teams beat us with SF.... Hanson kicks a 52 yd FG.... 6 pt swing, dont give up the huge return by Ginn....WE WIN

2 plays for 102 yards, 2 big plays, yes they count, but it wasn't a continuous pounding like in the past. Gore had 13/39 otherwise.

tsmith7559 said:
tonyballs said:

2 plays for 102 yards, 2 big plays, yes they count, but it wasn't a continuous pounding like in the past. Gore had 13/39 otherwise.

nobody said it was a continuous pounding you putz...but they still gashed this pathetic run defense for 200+ yards on 29 carries.

fact is 5.2 YPC blows....and its gash plays that get the YPC that high.

tsmith7559 said:
you still jacking off to your friend

why because you get smacked , you run to a homo reference ? lol

but ya keep defending a run D that ranks 30th in the NFL and gets ripped by gash plays regularly.

6 -2 is great....but it's all not sunshine and rainbows.

tsmith7559 said:
that D is sixth in scoring...smoke that, ouch

where did anyone rip the pass D , or scoring D , or even a decent pass rush ???

they get gashed at a 5.2 ypc clip and it cost them 2 games at HOME they probably should have won.

Forte will run wild after the bye and they'll lose in Chicago.

they also rank 2nd in the NFL in getting off the field on 3rd downs.

there is good that goes along with bad.

tsmith7559 said:
The D is a unit..... that run D has given up a 3rd or 4th & 1 all year.

Im sure it doesn't bother Schwartz there ranked 30th in run defense and they give up so many gash plays.

you're right they're a unit and thats the point #9 against the pass #30 against the run.

Chris Johnson regularly ran for 1-3 yards a pop and then busted a 50-75 yarder each game and people were considering him to be a top 2 back in the NFL. You can't just play good defense most of the time and then give up a huge play for a score.

fedexgooch78 said:
SLICK said:
nobody has that 25 - 30 carry horse anymore.

and the WRs all want their touches.

well dammit burleson needs to start demanding some more touches. if defenses continue to run with 2 high safeties, they should have ample space for him to work underneath. there's no saying he cant or shouldnt catch 6-7 balls for 50-60 yds to help keep the chains moving.

I am watching the game again and at least in the first half, Nate was targeted 6-7 times. A couple bad throws by Staff and one he caught out of bounds. So they made the attempt at getting him the ball.

SLICK said:
lp4ever41 said:
I think they're actually really good against the run except for 1-2 plays a game. Against Minny, Peterson and Harvin had huge runs. Against San Fran, Gore had two 50+ yd runs. Against Atlanta, Turner had a huge run. And yesterday, Denver had one huge run. For each game, if you take out those 1-2 big runs, the YPC is pretty low. Forte is the only running back I've seen who consistently gashed the Lions D. If they can avoid those huge plays they could have an elite defense.

ya you don't get to take out the 1 or 2 big runs.....doesn't work that way piper.

Obviously. But the point is, its something they can easily improve. They have the talent to be elite, they just have to play with more discipline, which (hopefully) will come with time. People forget they have 3 new starters on this defense, plus a safety still learning the position. I expect them to be much better after the bye week and beyond.

Beez said:
Chris Johnson regularly ran for 1-3 yards a pop and then busted a 50-75 yarder each game and people were considering him to be a top 2 back in the NFL. You can't just play good defense most of the time and then give up a huge play for a score.

show me one run anyone has broke for a score

tsmith7559 said:
Beez said:

show me one run anyone has broke for a score

Frank Gore just about scored.

Run D needs work as those big runs are game changing. However, a bunch of stops then 1-2 big runs is still better than consistently getting gashed for 6-10 often. I remember when the Lions used to get consistently gashed AND give up the big runs. So they've made progress and I'd put up short yardage run stopping against any team in the league.

we'll se what adjustments get made after the bye....Forte on his home turf will be a challenge.

IMO the Lions gear up for a pass rush and leave themselves vulnerable for a big run at times, BUT by doing this they protect the secondary and it works pretty well. If you want to play the run and reduce the pass rush I think the big plays will come via the pass and those will be TD's.

as Schwartz said the big runs result from the secondary either not being in the right position to amke the tackle or just plain not making the tackle when the runner gets to the 2nd level.

he also said the one Gore run that went 55 , they got caught in the wrong defense with the wrong group of players on the field.

thats going to happen....but the tackling in the secondary has to get better.

Back