Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

lions run D a mystery?

duh....both arguments are valid............whats worse, giving up 10pts on special teams(limited # plays) or 10 pts on numerous runs....take your pick

tsmith7559 said:
duh....both arguments are valid............whats worse, giving up 10pts on special teams(limited # plays) or 10 pts on numerous runs....take your pick

getting gashed for 200+ for me......for you it's 1 special teams breakdown....giddy up pipe.

The Mad Bomber said:
Meh... 10 points is 10 points.

Yards don't win/lose your games

Yards can sure have a big impact on games though. Field position is important as well as having time to get those points back. Running for more yardage eats up more clock. I say a good run game's 10 points is far worse than a couple of quick special teams plays. Sucks losing those points and momentum shifts can occur but at least with special teams breakdowns there is a chance to have much more time on the clock and better field position to do something about it!

We had chances at the end of both games to win it with the offense 1:30, 2:00 plus timeouts. Breakdowns in all three phases cost us, you can make an good argument in each case.

The Mad Bomber said:

Theres so many ways you can use data to stake your claim in the NFL. Take the lions for instance...if the league was about scoring more points than your opponent then the lions are the best team in the league seeing that we have the highest point differential. Now most nonsensical idiots would say thats cause we blew out 2 not very good teams. Well, blowing out teams is easier said than done in the NFL and take a double take if you have too but KC is tied for first place in their division. Were 6-2 and have faced 5 teams with above .500 record. Big picture wise...thats some pretty good numbers.

In my opinion we played really really poorly in our 2 losses....and they were still close games against 2 pretty good teams. The bad news is we have a horrendous schedule the rest of the way....the good news is i dont see a reason why we shouldnt atleast be in every ball game.

mhughes0021 said:
The Mad Bomber said:

Theres so many ways you can use data to stake your claim in the NFL. Take the lions for instance...if the league was about scoring more points than your opponent then the lions are the best team in the league seeing that we have the highest point differential. Now most nonsensical idiots would say thats cause we blew out 2 not very good teams. Well, blowing out teams is easier said than done in the NFL and take a double take if you have too but KC is tied for first place in their division. Were 6-2 and have faced 5 teams with above .500 record. Big picture wise...thats some pretty good numbers.

In my opinion we played really really poorly in our 2 losses....and they were still close games against 2 pretty good teams. The bad news is we have a horrendous schedule the rest of the way....the good news is i dont see a reason why we shouldnt atleast be in every ball game.

No doubt.

I meant in the instances given - which is worse 10 points rushing or 10 points on Special Teams.

Given those circumstances, points are points. Doesn't matter how you give them up.

Obviously Point Differential can mean jackshit in the big scheme depending on, like you said, dropping bombs on bad teams.

Its not as simple as 10 points is 10 points. I could elaborate but I don't feel like it.

Without looking at our ST rankings, the 200 yards on the ground vs the 49ers is a lot more troubling than the ST issues. ST tends to be flukey, maybe because there are fewer ST plays in a given game than normal plays. We are 30th against the run, and giving up a YPC average that if it were by one single back, that back would be a hall of famer.

I think what Slick and Tony are trying to say is that the run D has been/is a problem since week 1. Some of it schematic for sure, but this problem is not going away. The tackling must improve, because the run D will be a backbreaker as our schedule toughens in the regular season and will kill us in the playoffs if we get that far.

Call me crazy, but it seems like our primary issue in run defense is with our secondary. Our D-line is doing its job, stuffing short yardage plays and disrupting blocks before the ball-carrier gets to the line of scrimmage. Our linebackers have been filling the run lanes better than I have seen in over a decade. The LBs don't seem to miss many tackles either when they actually have the opportunity. The problem I see is that when the opponents block well, our secondary is nowhere to be found. The prime example would be the end of the Atlanta game. We had 2 CBs and a safety all around a 185 lb. RB, and he was able to muscle his way to a first down after contact 5 yards away.

The long runs we give up (the primary cause of our overall low ranking) are the same issue. If a team gets a good play, good blocks, they are all but home free after they get passed the LBs. Our safeties don't seem to react quickly enough nor tackle well. Our CBs consistently get washed out by any WR blocking them.

Back