Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should the Lions draft Trent Richardson?

everyoneneedsasmil said:
If Richardson is still on the board when we pick (hopefully mid 20s), there is a very good chance that he will be, by far, the best player available. Richardson has Adrian Peterson-level ability, and I cannot see how we pass on him for the 4th or 5th best tackle at that point. It's exactly like the Fairley pick. We in no way needed another DT that high, but he was too good to let someone else have him. Richardson would be the same if he fell that far in the first round.

That said, Richardson isn't going to be on the board. A lot of teams would love to get an elite workhorse RB, and many of them will be picking before we do.

Hows that working out for us? If we went by BPA over the 4th or 5th OT year after year after year (lets say Lions pick 20 for the next 5 years) then how do they ever get a OT? Eventually you'll need to draft a need position.

I hope to the football gods we dont waste another high draft pick on a rb. First off he will go top 10...we arent picking top 10. Secondly, they should have learned by now that picking high draft pick rbs doesnt equate to a good running game.

mhughes0021 said:
I hope to the football gods we dont waste another high draft pick on a rb. First off he will go top 10...we arent picking top 10. Secondly, they should have learned by now that picking high draft pick rbs doesnt equate to a good running game.

No doubt. I don't want a high round RB. We've done that.

Demarco Murray>Felix Jones...runningbacks can be had. The only way I spring on a rb is if he looks like a game changing special back. Guys like AP...they gont come around often but maybe Richardson is one of those guys. We'll find out.

On the other hand you do get guys like Arian Foster but they may be even more rare. Depends on how you look at it I guess. Do you want to find a servicable VALUE back or do you want to try to get that every downish, superstar back like AP. another thing to note is that runningbacks life spans are usually short. Look at guys like Barber..though he was never a 1500 yard stud, he was still one of the most effective backs in the entire league...short lived.

NO NO NO NO NO

We can get a guy in the lower rounds. Hell look at Demarco Murray tearing it up right now, beating out a former 1st rounder in Felix Jones.

No draft talk!

Funny, because the last few years like half the threads would be about next years draft. Change is good.

johnny2x2x said:
No draft talk!

Funny, because the last few years like half the threads would be about next years draft. Change is good.

Eh, it's the bye week, we need to talk about something. It's a sort of mid-season report card in a format that we as Lions fans are used to.

To answer the OP, if he's there (he won't be) I'd take him. I think we need another year of BPA (at any position except DL) in the first round and then go all out for OL and DB the rest of the way. All the teams in need of QB's will all but guarantee a good player will drop to us. With the strides we've made since Mayhew took over however, I'll put my faith until him until he proves me wrong so if he decides we need to take another DT for whatever reason then I'll just assume he knows what he is doing.

I think we should take a DT, two WR and a P with the first 4 picks.

I would kill for Peter Konz in the 1st and then Nate Potter in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
everyoneneedsasmil said:
If Richardson is still on the board when we pick (hopefully mid 20s), there is a very good chance that he will be, by far, the best player available. Richardson has Adrian Peterson-level ability, and I cannot see how we pass on him for the 4th or 5th best tackle at that point. It's exactly like the Fairley pick. We in no way needed another DT that high, but he was too good to let someone else have him. Richardson would be the same if he fell that far in the first round.

That said, Richardson isn't going to be on the board. A lot of teams would love to get an elite workhorse RB, and many of them will be picking before we do.

Hows that working out for us? If we went by BPA over the 4th or 5th OT year after year after year (lets say Lions pick 20 for the next 5 years) then how do they ever get a OT? Eventually you'll need to draft a need position.

And what if we keep picking guys like Goz in the late first because it is a need? Goz can't even begin to play LT, and really isn't good at RT either. Need can bite you just as badly (and perhaps worse because the margin for error is less) as BPA. The fact is, Richardson is being talked about like McFadden and Peterson were going into the draft. Both of those guys are true feature backs now.

If Richardson is still there when we pick, we'll take him because he will be better than anyone else we could pick. But, like everyone else said, he won't actually be there. I am all for going O-line next year in the draft, but I don't want the team to pass on elite talents to do it.

The problem is the Lions are in a tough spot. They should have been drafting OL over the past few years since it usually takes time to develop the OL. They didn't and now it is biting them in the ass. If they draft OL in the first round next year it is unlikely they will have any immediate impact....they need to do it...just don't expect any improvement for a few years. Look at what the 49ers did a few years ago. They drafted 2 OL in the first round and now they have a very good OL and are 7-1 with an average QB and no WRs.

tomdalton22 said:
The problem is the Lions are in a tough spot. They should have been drafting OL over the past few years since it usually takes time to develop the OL. They didn't and now it is biting them in the ass. If they draft OL in the first round next year it is unlikely they will have any immediate impact....they need to do it...just don't expect any improvement for a few years. Look at what the 49ers did a few years ago. They drafted 2 OL in the first round and now they have a very good OL and are 7-1 with an average QB and no WRs.

no WRs ? Crabtree , Ginn and Braylon were all top 10 picks.....so they have to have a little talent at the position , no ?

SF also runs the ball top 10 in the League and they stop the run #1 in the League.....pretty good recipe for winning.

SLICK said:
tomdalton22 said:

no WRs ? Crabtree , Ginn and Braylon were all top 10 picks.....so they have to have a little talent at the position , no ?

Ginn is a punt kick returner and Braylon is a bust too. The verdict is still out on Crabtree but I don't think he is any good either. Compare them to what the Lions have....I don't think any of them would be the #2. Ginn wouldn't see the field as a WR.

tomdalton22 said:
SLICK said:

Ginn is a punt kick returner and Braylon is a bust too. The verdict is still out on Crabtree but I don't think he is any good either. Compare them to what the Lions have....I don't think any of them would be the #2. Ginn wouldn't see the field as a WR.

ya Nates 26 catches for 245 yds is all world.

anyways back on point......quite a few of the early mocks Ive seen have the Lions going LB in late 1st round.

going to change a bunch from now until the draft....but I think Tulloch needs to be re-signed as soon as the off season begins.

Im for OLINE in round 1....Best available...dont care if its C, OG or OT

I wouldn't call braylon a bust. He hasn't quite had the best Qbs. He does do some dumb things though.

Fitzgeral was a high pick too

everyoneneedsasmil said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

And what if we keep picking guys like Goz in the late first because it is a need? Goz can't even begin to play LT, and really isn't good at RT either. Need can bite you just as badly (and perhaps worse because the margin for error is less) as BPA. The fact is, Richardson is being talked about like McFadden and Peterson were going into the draft. Both of those guys are true feature backs now.

If Richardson is still there when we pick, we'll take him because he will be better than anyone else we could pick. But, like everyone else said, he won't actually be there. I am all for going O-line next year in the draft, but I don't want the team to pass on elite talents to do it.

Then explain to us all how we're going to get a LT G or C? You won't get one through trade or FA and if not 1st round round, when? 3rd round, 5th round? I get your point on another Goz but we have to draft one eventually. Unless you want to wait for 3 win season and grab one high.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
everyoneneedsasmil said:

Then explain to us all how we're going to get a LT G or C? You won't get one through trade or FA and if not 1st round round, when? 3rd round, 5th round? I get your point on another Goz but we have to draft one eventually. Unless you want to wait for 3 win season and grab one high.

With a very high priced QB the Lions may need to go the FA route while developing draft picks.

Back