Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Caldwell

biggunsbob

Maybe some guys are just better coordinators.. although i am sure that can be debated also..

College Wake Forest Demon Deacons (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1993–2000)Year

Team ............Overall.........Conf Standing Bowl/playoffs
W-L
1993 Wake Forest 2–9 1–7 9th
1994 Wake Forest 3-8 1–7 8th
1995 Wake Forest 1–10 0–8 9th
1996 Wake Forest 3–8 1–7 8th
1997 Wake Forest 5–6 3–5 7th
1998 Wake Forest 3–8 2–6 7th
1999 Wake Forest 7–5 3–5 5th W Aloha
2000 Wake Forest 2–9 1–7 8th
Wake Forest............26–63 12–52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFL

IND 2009 14-2 Lost in superbowl (2-1)
IND 2010 10-6 Lost in the playoffs (0-1)
IND 2011 2-14

DET 2014 11-5 Lost in the playoffs. (0-1)
DET 2015 0-5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Ability to understand the games nuances, zero.
Ability to lead and inspire, negative infinity.

There is NOTHING positive with this guy. The 2008 0-16 season was more enjoyable to watch. Didn't think it was possible to have worse coaching, but at least in 2008 the obvious problem was lack of talent on the team. This team had enough talent last year to make the playoffs, so there is a degree of talent on this team relative to 2008 that makes this mostly a coaching problem. He is a quitter who has lost his players respect. The only solution at this point is a coaching change, which should have happened already. You quit on the organization, they need to quit you. Fuck you Caldwell. I would say be a man and resign, alas you don't know when you actually should quit versus when you should not, yet again demonstrating your poor judgment and leadership abilities.

The Lions just went WAY too far in the other direction in their coaching search.

I understand they wanted to get away from Schwartz and his "I don't give a fuck lets play street football" mentality.......but Caldwell seems just as bad in a totally different way.

It's like Hughes and LKP.......both trolls.....neither know anything about the game......but TOTALLY different perspectives on the team.

What are the Fords gonna do now?? Back to a Schwartz type guy?? Fuck it, lets hire PJ Fleck and "row the boat" for a couple years!!!!! (ps......I HATE that fucking mantra.....I cannot wait for him to leave Kalamazoo so I don't have to hear that anymore)!

Serious question, who is or will be out there for GM and HC that we can/should hire?

Doesn't matter. This is not working, you don't look around and see if you want to continue to do what is not working. You stop what is not working and then try something else.

Honestly, I'd have Matt on a short leash. 1st half against Chicago if we're not scoring point's and Matt isn't doing good.. Dan O is the starter for the rest of the year.

Matt was told at halftime, another INT your benched. And that's what happened. So after the game he had an interview basically saying he was shocked. The guys an idiot.

Doesn't matter. This is not working, you don't look around and see if you want to continue to do what is not working. You stop what is not working and then try something else.
That doesn't answer my question... I was simply asking who is or will be out there. That question in no way should be taken as me wanting to keep Mayhew or Caldwell. I think we should clean house. I hated the Mayhew hire, didn't love the Caldwell hire, and can see that it isn't working too. I'm just asking who we could pursue to replace these clowns since I don't know what options are or will be on the market.

Honestly, I'd have Matt on a short leash. 1st half against Chicago if we're not scoring point's and Matt isn't doing good.. Dan O is the starter for the rest of the year.

Matt was told at halftime, another INT your benched. And that's what happened. So after the game he had an interview basically saying he was shocked. The guys an idiot.

I didnt get the impression that he was shocked - he is the one who told reporters about the conversation with caldwell. It seemed to me he was more annoyed than surprised, like he thought he should have stayed in or something.

Regardless, if he doesnt look average against CHI, send him packing

Stafford threw a pick on the Lions' first series of the second half, was benched and apparently was surprised by what happened.

"I was a little caught off-guard, to be honest," Stafford told the Detroit Free Press on Monday. "I went out there and tried to play aggressive. We're down 21 points. Try and get us back in the ballgame. Tried to make a big play to Calvin Johnson, and obviously Patrick Peterson made a good play, intercepted the football ... and I got to watch the rest of the night.

"Not something I'm accustomed to being around."

That doesn't answer my question... I was simply asking who is or will be out there. That question in no way should be taken as me wanting to keep Mayhew or Caldwell. I think we should clean house. I hated the Mayhew hire, didn't love the Caldwell hire, and can see that it isn't working too. I'm just asking who we could pursue to replace these clowns since I don't know what options are or will be on the market.

I think its harder (for fans) to list potential replacement GM's because they operate behind the scenes mostly, and aren't very well known. Plus their job roles all are different, some are strictly the numbers/contract guys, and let someone else draft/build the team. Other GMs are the opposite (Like Mayhew)...then you have the GM's which handle everything - Contracts/Draft/Free Agents/etc.

More than likely, the Lions would hire another teams assistant GM or VP of operations, and I cant name a single one of those lol.

For the Coaches...thats a bit more interesting - every year there are usually 1 or 2 'hot' coaches available at the end of the season. I would like the Lions to for once be able to jump on whoever that is, and not wait until 1/2 months after the season to make a coaching change. Pagano could be available, and rumors are floating around that Payton may be had via a trade if the Saints dont improve this year. Then you always have atleast 5 college coaches named as potential suitors..

My ideal situation would be Harbaugh wins the NC with UofM this year, then bolts to the Lions next year. I know that would never happen, but for you Michigan fans out there ( I am not one) how would you react if that happened? Happy or Pissed?

Back