Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Manager Job.. Interviews.

I saw Gabe Kapler on a list. I didn't even know he went into coaching.

So I assume 90% of the names thrown out would get a negative reaction. So who would you LIKE to see hired?

Whoever is the manager, needs to be prepared to lose for 3-5 years. He needs to be sound fundamentally (baserunning, pitching changes) and IMHO, someone who embraces analytics. He doesn't have to be a seasoned manager. I also do not want anyone currently part of the organization (Vizquel, McClendon, etc). Who does that leave?

I wanted Gym Shorts as Lions HC back in the day so what do I know about choosing someone..

Here is the problem. We want someone who uses analytics. Our GM has no clue about analytics. No analytics manager will win with the players our dumbass GM puts in place.

Here is the problem. We want someone who uses analytics. Our GM has no clue about analytics. No analytics manager will win with the players our dumbass GM puts in place.

Nor will a non-analytics manager.

It is all about playing sound, fundamental baseball. Baserunning. Hitting behind the runner. Hit and run. Etc, etc. The GM might add players to the roster, but the manager does not have to use them, nor have them start 5 of the 7 days. It is about putting the players in a position to excel. Having James McCann hitting cleanup with a righthander on the mound is absurd. This would not be done with an analytical manager. The results might not change, but the stupidity did.

All a Gm has to do is take on look at Comerica Parks configuration and he will realize how to build a winning team. Pretty sure our Gm has zero clue how to do this sadly.

All a Gm has to do is take on look at Comerica Parks configuration and he will realize how to build a winning team. Pretty sure our Gm has zero clue how to do this sadly.

the configuration has little to do with how to put a winning team together.

Why are we talking about who the next sacrificial lamb/manager for the Dysfunctional Tigers when the biggest problem is the clueless Al Avila and his band of Idiots Deluxe in the front office. This franchise is dead until either Chris Ilitch fires the band of nitwits, and hires intelligent 21st century baseball minds or sells the team to an owner who has that type vision.

the configuration has little to do with how to put a winning team together.

I beg to differ. Big park with gaps, get some speed not this slow ass team. Get a stellar defense to roam that big outfield.. Might not be a sure winning team but it sure helps to get guys who can play in your park 81 times.

I beg to differ. Big park with gaps, get some speed not this slow ass team. Get a stellar defense to roam that big outfield.. Might not be a sure winning team but it sure helps to get guys who can play in your park 81 times.

Along with players who hit more line drives into the spacious gaps and run like the Flash.

speed and a stellar defense are things you would want regardless of ballpark configuration.

pitching, good defense and guys that can get on base. It isn't rocket science.

speed and a stellar defense are things you would want regardless of ballpark configuration.

pitching, good defense and guys that can get on base. It isn't rocket science.

Yes it is.. Remember when the Yankees got Granderson? They knew he had a skill set that would make him thrive in their park.. A lefty uppercut swing in a park with a short right field. You can go beyond the typical 'good pitching and defense wins..' mantra.

Yes it is.. Remember when the Yankees got Granderson? They knew he had a skill set that would make him thrive in their park.. A lefty uppercut swing in a park with a short right field. You can go beyond the typical 'good pitching and defense wins..' mantra.

Another player perfect for his home park was George Brett. Line drive hitter with gap power.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brettge01.shtml
6th all-time in doubles. 5th all time in triples post WWII.

Back