Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Manager Job.. Interviews.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know anything about him. What's his deal?

He self admittedly isn't a good communicator. Says he learned from Mattingly this last year. He also isn't knowledgeable about analytics, a subject he just recently tried "boning" up on so he could be knowledgeable on the subject during interviews. His ties to Al Sr dates back to 1992. In both his manager stints, his teams steadily got worse (might argue circumstances). Additionally, he has a terrible record at protecting/developing young arms. (Josh Johnson, Mike Minor, Tommy Hanson, Kris Medlen, Shelby Miller, etc, etc).

If we generally agree that managers cannot win you more games than the talent will allow, then Gonzalez would appear in my opinion of one you don't want for a young club trying to learn and develop.

He self admittedly isn't a good communicator. Says he learned from Mattingly this last year. He also isn't knowledgeable about analytics, a subject he just recently tried "boning" up on so he could be knowledgeable on the subject during interviews. His ties to Al Sr dates back to 1992. In both his manager stints, his teams steadily got worse (might argue circumstances). Additionally, he has a terrible record at protecting/developing young arms. (Josh Johnson, Mike Minor, Tommy Hanson, Kris Medlen, Shelby Miller, etc, etc).

If we generally agree that managers cannot win you more games than the talent will allow, then Gonzalez would appear in my opinion of one you don't want for a young club trying to learn and develop.

thanks

The truth is most managers aren't knowledgeable about analytic's. At least he was trying to know something about it. It's not like Avila knows anything about it either. Would he know the difference?

The truth is most managers aren't knowledgeable about analytic's. At least he was trying to know something about it. It's not like Avila knows anything about it either. Would he know the difference?

Mitch...most of the newer managers are analytics based.

An article from 2 1/2 years ago:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...-shifts-jeff-banister-joe-maddon-clint-hurdle

And it isn't like analytics came out of nowhere. It has been around quite some time, even if it isn't embarrassed by all.

Even without analytics, Fredi is still not a good fit with this young club.

Mitch...most of the newer managers are analytics based.

An article from 2 1/2 years ago:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...-shifts-jeff-banister-joe-maddon-clint-hurdle

And it isn't like analytics came out of nowhere. It has been around quite some time, even if it isn't embarrassed by all.

Even without analytics, Fredi is still not a good fit with this young club.

I know they've been out for a while but I'm not sure I believe that "most managers .." Because honestly watching games they basically manage like Brad. They, or some, might know the basics - but very few are full blown saber-metrics like a pro. And I suspect the best players on these teams have a star or two and just stick him in the 3-hole, for example, and he stays there.

One example on Texas - Profar. Not a star or anything but based on his numbers he should have batted more in the lead off spot. He didn't at all this season.

Last edited:
I know they've been out for a while but I'm not sure I believe that "most managers .." Because honestly watching games they basically manage like Brad. They, or some, might know the basics - but very few are full blown saber-metrics like a pro. And I suspect the best players on these teams have a star or two and just stick him in the 3-hole, for example, and he stays there.

One example on Texas - Profar. Not a star or anything but based on his numbers he should have batted more in the lead off spot. He didn't at all this season.

Profar had 70 PAs this year. Not many sabermatric guys would do anything on that small of a sample size. James McCann is atrocious against RHP. Ausmus had him hit cleanup against RHP not just once, but more than once. There are not many managers who are that agnostic to sabermetrics to do that. Gonzalez is one. A manager's lineup is very telling. Additionally, all these shifts are due to savermetrics. As soon as the first teams to implement found success, they all do it. Does it mean those managers are now into analytics? No. They followed a pattern of success and did not want to be left out.

Bottom line. He didn't research sabermetrics because he felt it could improve how he did things. He took a course in order to know what they might ask him during the interview. It would be like a tech guy studying some feature he wasn't familiar with just to have a chance during the job interview. I am sorry, I am not that gullible to believe he is now an sabermetric manager.

Profar had 70 PAs this year. Not many sabermatric guys would do anything on that small of a sample size. James McCann is atrocious against RHP. Ausmus had him hit cleanup against RHP not just once, but more than once. There are not many managers who are that agnostic to sabermetrics to do that. Gonzalez is one. A manager's lineup is very telling. Additionally, all these shifts are due to savermetrics. As soon as the first teams to implement found success, they all do it. Does it mean those managers are now into analytics? No. They followed a pattern of success and did not want to be left out.

Bottom line. He didn't research sabermetrics because he felt it could improve how he did things. He took a course in order to know what they might ask him during the interview. It would be like a tech guy studying some feature he wasn't familiar with just to have a chance during the job interview. I am sorry, I am not that gullible to believe he is now an sabermetric manager.

That's because he sucked.. At lead off where he goes .700+ OPS maybe he has more PA.

are you talking about Jurickson Profar?

Back