Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young Now a Met

Just saw JV in his 'Stros hat. Weird. I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all.

Really miss watching him pitch already. But out of all the teams out there, the Astros are one of the least offensive ones to see him playing for. They've got a humbler group of players. Would make me sick to see him in a Yankees or a Red Sox uni.

Well McLain is and always has been an ass.

But two Cy Youngs, an MVP and 30 win season.

Nobody has done that shit since nor before going back to Cy Young himself.

That is some monster shit right there.

Koufax won three CYs and an MVP from 63-66. (finished #2 MVP in 1964 and 65) 24-6 avg. w-l record and avg. whip of .910 in those 4 seasons.

Really miss watching him pitch already. But out of all the teams out there, the Astros are one of the least offensive ones to see him playing for. They've got a humbler group of players. Would make me sick to see him in a Yankees or a Red Sox uni.

Maybe least objectionable but I can't see myself watching him, or looking at a box score - just too weird for me and it actually bums me out.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=370922118
Verlander, Gurriel lift Astros over Angels 3-0.
espn

Justin Verlander pitched one-hit ball over seven innings to remain perfect with Houston and Yuli Gurriel hit a three-run homer to propel the Astros to a 3-0 win over the Los Angeles Angels on Friday night.

Verlander (14-8) walked two and struck out six to improve to 4-0 since being traded from Detroit on Aug. 31.

Justin Verlander (HOU): 4th pitcher in last 20 years to win his first 4 starts for a team after being acquired mid-season (via @EliasSports).

Justin Verlander w/ #Astros: 4-0, 28 IP, 11 hits, 2 earned runs (2 HR's), 5 walks, THIRTY-TWO K's, a WHIP of 0.57 & an ERA of 0.64

good article. I thought they would mention my personal favorite JV game (non no-hitter) vs. the Angels in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIWHfUoEyG4

One of my all time favorite gifs. I link it whenever possible.

xdypzt.jpg

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017...-from-tigers-to-complete-verlander-trade.html
Astros Acquire Juan Ramirez From Tigers To Complete Verlander Trade.
MLBTR

The type of player the Tigers need to hold on to.

Ramirez saw 46 games of action this year in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, turning in a .301/.385/.362 batting line with twenty walks against just 14 strikeouts. Despite the clear lack of power, that sort of approach holds obvious appeal.

Chris Ilitch needed to broom the Tigers' FO and much of their MiLB coaching/scouting personnel, not just their ML manager and his coaching staff.

I don't envision them doing much if anything to field a competitive, much less contending team next season, and instead could weaken it even further by trading away its veteran middle IFers for prospects and/or mediocre RPs.

I also could expect a team that is destined for 100+ losses, along with a correspondingly sharp decline in home attendance numbers and media viewership, comparable to the early 00s.

Chris Ilitch needed to broom the Tigers' FO and much of their MiLB coaching/scouting personnel, not just their ML manager and his coaching staff.

I don't envision them doing much if anything to field a competitive, much less contending team next season, and instead could weaken it even further by trading away its veteran middle IFers for prospects and/or mediocre RPs.

I also could expect a team that is destined for 100+ losses, along with a correspondingly sharp decline in home attendance numbers and media viewership, comparable to the early 00s.

Veteran middle infielders did what this year?

Iglesias finished middle of the road at WAR. Offensively, he is a bottom 1/3 at shortstop. While he is better on defense, he grades out only at #10 defensively over the last few years. Is he worth any raise he will get during salary arbitration? IMO, no.

Kinsler is on the downward slope. Sure, he grades out a top 3 defensive 2B, but his offense is on the decline. He would only be around for 1/2 year anyways, and that is only with the intent to trade him.

Detriot's infield offense ranked 13th in the AL for 2017. (HOU and CLE were 1 and 2). DET outfield offense was ranked 3rd.

C = 5th
1B = 11th
2B = 10th
SS = 14th
3B = 7th
LF = 1st
CF = 9th
RF = 5th
DH = 9th

We traded for a bunch of infielders. Let them prove themselves.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017...-from-tigers-to-complete-verlander-trade.html
Astros Acquire Juan Ramirez From Tigers To Complete Verlander Trade.
MLBTR

The type of player the Tigers need to hold on to.

Ramirez saw 46 games of action this year in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League, turning in a .301/.385/.362 batting line with twenty walks against just 14 strikeouts. Despite the clear lack of power, that sort of approach holds obvious appeal.

a 5'9" 160'lb outfielder? Unless he is one of the best defensive CF's in the minors...

a 5'9" 160'lb outfielder? Unless he is one of the best defensive CF's in the minors...

His size/height doesn't matter when I was talking about his plate discipline.
High obp.
Lou Whitaker was standing next to me years ago as the Tigers got off the bus at Fenway. Listed at 5' 11'. Lou was about 5'8 or 9". Lou had a very good career obp,
Altuve is listed at 5'6". another similar and better.
Tigers need players with plate discipline and pitch recognition. Way too many times we see Tigers batters chasing low and away, and swinging at too many OOZ out of zone.

Last edited:
His size/height doesn't matter when I was talking about his plate discipline.
High obp.
Lou Whitaker was standing next to me years ago as the Tigers got off the bus at Fenway. Listed at 5' 11'. Lou was about 5'8 or 9". Lou had a very good career obp,
Altuve is listed at 5'6". another similar and better.
Tigers need players with plate discipline and pitch recognition. Way too many times we see Tigers batters chasing low and away, and swinging at too many OOZ out of zone.

gotcha

Kirby Puckett was listed as 5'8" and 178 lbs.

Ramirez Away

2016 .316 BAVG .431 OBP .395 SLG .826 OPS

2017 .320 BAVG .427 OBP .360 SLG .787 OPS

Thank gawd they got rid of this bum. At 18, there is no room for improvement.

game 2 Houston vs Yank Verlander plan to attack. My is that not the plan that every pitcher should go with? To many Tigers do not follow it.

Veteran middle infielders did what this year?

Iglesias finished middle of the road at WAR. Offensively, he is a bottom 1/3 at shortstop. While he is better on defense, he grades out only at #10 defensively over the last few years. Is he worth any raise he will get during salary arbitration? IMO, no.

Kinsler is on the downward slope. Sure, he grades out a top 3 defensive 2B, but his offense is on the decline. He would only be around for 1/2 year anyways, and that is only with the intent to trade him.

Detriot's infield offense ranked 13th in the AL for 2017. (HOU and CLE were 1 and 2). DET outfield offense was ranked 3rd.

C = 5th
1B = 11th
2B = 10th
SS = 14th
3B = 7th
LF = 1st
CF = 9th
RF = 5th
DH = 9th

We traded for a bunch of infielders. Let them prove themselves.

The rankings for LF, RF, and 3B are mostly from players who left, being JUp, JD, and who moved to RF in Nick C, who is not equal to JD offensively, and obviously needs more experience and improvement defensively.
Candelario s/b better defensively/offensively than Nick C, except for less power. Machado roughly equal to Iggy, except no power, No idea who would play 2B, but not going to just assume that he will be equal defensively and offensively to Kinsler's average over the past 3 seasons.

Last edited:
Not there yet because he only has 188 wins. Even as a fan that's not enough. Just stay healthy and 250+ wins he'll get there.

250 wins is pretty tough. 15 wins is a good total these days. That means that Verlander needs 4-5 good years. I don't know if he has that in him. I agree that is what it will take. Maybe the change of scenery will rejuvenate him.

Back