Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MRI reveals Miggy has 2 herniated discs

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
An MRI test showed Miguel Cabrera has two herniated discs in his back.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/09/miguel_cabrera_herniated_discs.html#incart_river_index
Tigers' Miguel Cabrera has 2 herniated disks; treatment plan undetermined.
Mlive

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/09/24/detroit-tigers-miguel-cabrera/698415001/
Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera has 2 herniated discs in his back.
Freep

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...miguel-cabrera-diagnosed-herniated-disks-back
Tigers' Miguel Cabrera diagnosed with herniated disks in back.
espn

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...era-diagnosed-herniated-discs-back/105969704/
Tigers’ Cabrera diagnosed with herniated discs in back.
Detnews

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/articl...era-has-two-herniated-disks/?topicId=27118376
MRI shows Miggy has two herniated disks.
Tigers official site

The Tigers said Sunday that an MRI showed damage between the L3 and L4, and the L4 and L5 disks.

A sports medical professional, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to comment on the issue, told the Free Press tw a typical timetable for recovery is 4-8 weeks. Oftentimes, the issue gets better with rest, meaning Cabrera should be healed in time for spring training.

Cabrera’s injury is similar to that of Dodgers ace left-hander Clayton Kershaw, who has missed significant time in each of the past two seasons. The injury typically doesn't require surgery and the Tigers almost certainly will try treating it with anti-inflammatory drugs or epidural injections before considering surgery.

Last edited:
It amazes me they didn't do an MRI much earlier..

I wrote at the Tigers site;
These Incompetent Idiots in Tigers front office and bozo in the dugout Kevin Rand didn't think to have Miggy get the MRI in April??

What a stupid organization.

Once again the Tigers braintrust of Head Bozo Al Avila and the Idiots Deluxe do nothings Chadd, Littlefield, Owens, Bream, and Pleis are collecting paychecks for this from an owner who could care less from his comments the other day on how great Avila and company are in their rebuild. None of these clowns suggested an MRI.

Sad times for us Tigers fans.

It amazes me they didn't do an MRI much earlier..

Exactly. The best hitter on the planet hits .250 all year with no power and needs to be removed from every other game...just trot him out there again tomorrow

If only there were any obvious warning signs something might be wrong. Smh

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ogram-improve-miguel-cabreras-back/106014896/
Tigers: Offseason program will improve Cabrera?s back.
Detnews

The disk herniations were discovered when Cabrera agreed last week to an early MRI as part of the annual ?exit physical? when players? conditions are evaluated ahead of offseason conditioning and rehab programs.
Players also are given a complete physical when they report for spring camp,
or if they are injured or disabled during the season.

But they have the right to decline MRIs or more comprehensive in-season exams, just as they have a right to tell superiors they?re able to play
and prefer to play, which has been Cabrera?s steady insistence in 2017.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ogram-improve-miguel-cabreras-back/106014896/
Tigers: Offseason program will improve Cabrera?s back.
Detnews

The disk herniations were discovered when Cabrera agreed last week to an early MRI as part of the annual ?exit physical? when players? conditions are evaluated ahead of offseason conditioning and rehab programs.
Players also are given a complete physical when they report for spring camp,
or if they are injured or disabled during the season.

But they have the right to decline MRIs or more comprehensive in-season exams, just as they have a right to tell superiors they?re able to play
and prefer to play, which has been Cabrera?s steady insistence in 2017.

can't blame an athlete for wanting to stay in and play...but sometimes I wish they would look at the big picture more often. Easier said than done

They might have a right to say "I want to play." But a manager has a right to say "sit your ass down."

They might have a right to say "I want to play." But a manager has a right to say "sit your ass down."

if a player isn't honest about the way he feels the manager can't make an informed decision. Not saying this is the case here...but in general

if a player isn't honest about the way he feels the manager can't make an informed decision. Not saying this is the case here...but in general

Informed decision? He's been removed from games all year because of his back.. And a manager can sit a guy down for no reason at all. He's the manager.

Last edited:
Informed decision? He's been removed from games all year because of his back.. And a manager can sit a guy down for no reason at all. He's the manager.

I said in general...I am talking about players reporting injuries

Last edited:
3d - Bradford Doolittle

Players who should be traded for their own good: Miguel Cabrera (ESPN headline)
Now Why would you trade someone with there worst trade value and coming off a season that he had injuries that gave him his worst season.

Also why trade Kinsler at his lowest trade value, unless someone over pays, trade value wise.
And yea screw the tv deal trade Fulmer and take the next 10 seasons to rebuild from nothing.

Tigers need to fix there bull pen until they do that they'll win and lose and lose more than win.

3d - Bradford Doolittle

Players who should be traded for their own good: Miguel Cabrera (ESPN headline)
Now Why would you trade someone with there worst trade value and coming off a season that he had injuries that gave him his worst season.

Also why trade Kinsler at his lowest trade value, unless someone over pays, trade value wise.
And yea screw the tv deal trade Fulmer and take the next 10 seasons to rebuild from nothing.

Tigers need to fix there bull pen until they do that they'll win and lose and lose more than win.

10 players in the article and 3 were Tigers. Miggy, Nick and Ian.

10 players in the article and 3 were Tigers. Miggy, Nick and Ian.

I only saw Cabrera and Castellanos. And the writer is stating who would benefit from a trade, from the player's viewpoint, not the team's.

Cabrera would be unlikely to be traded, but like Verlander, deserves a shot at being in the World Series again.

No team wants Castellanos, except maybe an AL team so he could DH. That limits the number of suitors. Bad teams are not going to trade for a full-time DH and most good teams do not have a hole there to fill. The article suggests that Comerica is hurting Castellanos, but that is hogwash. Castellanos has hit 19 Triples in CoPa vs 5 Triples on the Road for his career. What does that tell you? He hit .300 BAVG at home in 2017, versus .243 BAVG away. Again, CoPa is not the issue.

I only saw Cabrera and Castellanos. And the writer is stating who would benefit from a trade, from the player's viewpoint, not the team's.

Cabrera would be unlikely to be traded, but like Verlander, deserves a shot at being in the World Series again.

No team wants Castellanos, except maybe an AL team so he could DH. That limits the number of suitors. Bad teams are not going to trade for a full-time DH and most good teams do not have a hole there to fill. The article suggests that Comerica is hurting Castellanos, but that is hogwash. Castellanos has hit 19 Triples in CoPa vs 5 Triples on the Road for his career. What does that tell you? He hit .300 BAVG at home in 2017, versus .243 BAVG away. Again, CoPa is not the issue.

I did see it was for the players benefit. I agree, I don't see any team trading for either of those two players.

Back