Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young Now a Met

johnny2x2x

Nice haul. Will really miss JV.

Perez, Cameron, and Rodgers in return.

Last edited:
He's been my Tiger since 2006. Will miss him and thanks for the memories JV.

Not as nicest it should of been. We didn't get any of their top 3 prospects..

Stros took on almost all of his contract. We shaved $160 Million in payroll today.

So with Sanchez hopefully released what's the rotation going to look like in 2018? It's going to be really really bad. This deal sucks.

So with Sanchez hopefully released what's the rotation going to look like in 2018? It's going to be really really bad. This deal sucks.

Were you hoping to get an MLB ready starter in return?

I was hoping to get a future ML in return.. Best is 48th prospect of baseball.. for JV? We got screwed.

Fair enough. The wording made me assume otherwise.

I don't know much about the prospects, I really try to avoid the rankings. I could probably find sources that list that same prospect as somewhere in the top 30. Subjective stuff. Hopefully they pan out and JV gets his ring.

Fair enough. The wording made me assume otherwise.

I don't know much about the prospects, I really try to avoid the rankings. I could probably find sources that list that same prospect as somewhere in the top 30. Subjective stuff. Hopefully they pan out and JV gets his ring.

I hope so too.. I'm not a big fan of free agency / trade deadline. It would have been nice to have JV for the duration. It's been a long time since a player was drafted and retired a Detroit Tiger. I wanted to see him get more records in a Tigers' uniform.

Man AA stinks. Prospect # 48 wtf. ? Money dump and 5 years of 90+ loss teams coming . He didn't get on top prospect for jv. Don't like the deal .

Last edited:
Tigers are paying the Astros $8 million each of the next two seasons, $16 million total. Verlander makes $28 million in each of the next two seasons.

2 F'n cunts Al Avila and Chris Ilitch. Just cut out the collective hearts of a sizeable part of the Tigers fan base.

Last edited:
Trading Upton and Verlander should absolutely get the Tigers under the payroll tax. If not...well....I am speechless.

Trading Upton and Verlander should absolutely get the Tigers under the payroll tax. If not...well....I am speechless.

Was that their primary focus? For a family who are billionaires what's a payroll tax to them.

I'm happy for JV. We weren't gonna challenge for anything in the next couple years and I'm happy to see him go to a team that I don't hate and have that chance. We are in much better shape for a rebuild than we were 3 months ago. It sucked that the market just wasn't there for the JD trade, but these other 3 trade the return was acceptable imo.

I'm happy for JV. We weren't gonna challenge for anything in the next couple years and I'm happy to see him go to a team that I don't hate and have that chance. We are in much better shape for a rebuild than we were 3 months ago. It sucked that the market just wasn't there for the JD trade, but these other 3 trade the return was acceptable imo.

I'm happy for him, but I'm sad for me. Such a great player.

Was that their primary focus? For a family who are billionaires what's a payroll tax to them.

The Tigers have been losing money for years. While they were/are losing money (and other teams are making millions), they are not putting it into infrastructure and player development. It all adds up. This contributes to the Tigers farm system being one of the worst, if not the worst.

People honestly think people who are rich can spend the money anyways. Most didn't get rich by making bad business decisions. While I am all for supporting my wife's business ventures, I am not going to jeopardize my retirement in the process. It is a fine line sometimes.

Now, based on what they originally had as a payroll going into 2017, DET was going to lose roughly $60 Mil (including the payroll tax). While they still are probably going to lose money in 2017, it is closer to break even mark. It's one thing to lose money and be in the hunt. Is another to lose $60 Mil for the 2nd worse team in the AL. Additionally, losing money effects franchise value.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any updates on the DET TV deal. It cannot be good news. And these past 2 deals certainly don't help.

Back