Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ron Gardenhire next Tigers Manager

Joe Girardi is out as Yankee's Manager. He had a 910-710 record and the Yankees won a World Series under him (or despite him being the manager). 10 years with the Yankees and he didn't have a single losing season.

BLUF...Girardi is an arrogant asshole, who refused to give into analytics.

Simply put, talent wins. The manager is there to not and screw things up. Girardi is on par with Ausmus, in that they do some of the stupidest things as a manager. There are at least 15-20 MLB caliber managers who would have done more with the Yankees during Girardi's tenure, then what Girardi did.

20-game winners need run support, or they don't win 20 games. Just ask Rick Porcello. Managers don't win, or win in the playoffs, without talent. Citing a starting pitcher's win-loss record his meaningless. Citing a manager's win-loss record is also meaningless. Even their playoff records can be suspect.

Money can buy you talent. For smaller market teams (see Pirates, Royals, etc) strong analytics gives you bang for the buck. Moneyball was all about analytics. When "old school" managers get fired, like Dusty Baker, it wasn't that their teams didn't win, it was that they didn't met expectations.

a lot of conjecture in this post but nothing that can be proven. Maybe he was great in the clubhouse but made some decisions that could be second guessed. You could have Steven Hawking making the absolute best in game decisions based on stats but if he can't manage people he's worthless. You have no idea if Girardi was a good manager....only his players do.

a lot of conjecture in this post but nothing that can be proven. Maybe he was great in the clubhouse but made some decisions that could be second guessed. You could have Steven Hawking making the absolute best in game decisions based on stats but if he can't manage people he's worthless. You have no idea if Girardi was a good manager....only his players do.

I live in New York and read the press. Only a moron would suggest he wasn't a good manager. Only a moron would suggest Ausmus was a good manager. Their record for tactical decision making is there as evidence. It is not conjecture. But hey, what do I know.

I live in New York and read the press. Only a moron would suggest he wasn't a good manager. Only a moron would suggest Ausmus was a good manager. Their record for tactical decision making is there as evidence. It is not conjecture. But hey, what do I know.

here I thought you were suggesting that Girardi wasn't a good manager

again, you have no clue what goes on behind the scenes.

Who said I anything about behind the scenes? Squirrel!

It is common knowledge that Girardi is horrible at managing a bullpen (sounds like Ausmus). He tends to use his own logic when making tactical decisions most managers wouldn't make (sounds like Ausmus). And is is arrogant when questioned on these topics (again, sounds like Ausmus).

What I find intriguing, in some NY media, Gabe Kapler is the leading candidate due to his strong analytic background. Now wouldn't that be a rub.

Who said I anything about behind the scenes? Squirrel!

It is common knowledge that Girardi is horrible at managing a bullpen (sounds like Ausmus). He tends to use his own logic when making tactical decisions most managers wouldn't make (sounds like Ausmus). And is is arrogant when questioned on these topics (again, sounds like Ausmus).

What I find intriguing, in some NY media, Gabe Kapler is the leading candidate due to his strong analytic background. Now wouldn't that be a rub.

if you don't know what goes on behind the scenes, you don't know if he was a good manager.

As far as Kapler, that would sting a little if he went to the Yankees and turned out to be great. The Tigers will be in the market for another manager in a few years anyway.

Last edited:
if you don't know what goes on behind the scenes, you don't know if he was a good manager.

As far as Kapler, that would sting a little if he went to the Yankees and turned out to be great. The Tigers will be in the market for another manager in a few years anyway.

What does anything going on behind the scenes have to do with being a good manager? That is a new one to me. I must file that along with TWTW.

What does anything going on behind the scenes have to do with being a good manager? That is a new one to me. I must file that along with TWTW.

you were the one who said the team quit on Brad...those are the types of behind the scenes things I am talking about. We see the manager during the game making a few decisions here and there. How he handles the players & the clubhouse are what I am talking about. Behind the scenes things that make up 95% of his job...the actions you and I have no idea about.

you were the one who said the team quit on Brad...those are the types of behind the scenes things I am talking about. We see the manager during the game making a few decisions here and there. How he handles the players & the clubhouse are what I am talking about. Behind the scenes things that make up 95% of his job...the actions you and I have no idea about.

Where did you get that 95% of the job is behind the scenes? Now you really are making a fool of yourself in an attempt to discredit. Unbelievable.

Where did you get that 95% of the job is behind the scenes? Now you really are making a fool of yourself in an attempt to discredit. Unbelievable.

Just a guess...his primary job is managing people, in game decisions are just a small part of his job

Last edited:
Just a guess...his primary job is managing people, in game decisions are just a small part of his job

That's a big part of it, becoming bigger, everyone knows the percentage plays, you try to disrupt that enough to keep the other team on their toes but overall it's somewhat elementary.

The old school guys are being pushed out for good reason, except in Detroit, where we're embracing antiquated philosophies of baseball.

I absolutely love what the dodgers are doing with their staff right now, i'd be shocked if the tigers ever do anything like that. The orioles tried something similar in the 70's but the 5 inning win and stats ended up winning out.

So Phily hires Kapler, that's what progressive front offices do, find a new school guy that embraces analytics.

Back