Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ron Gardenhire next Tigers Manager

Kapler will be out in 2 years..

Why?

There is no reason to think he wouldn't get 3 good years, if not more.

If not the Phillies, rumor had the Yankees possibly naming him their next manager. That is how coveted he is/was.

Why?

There is no reason to think he wouldn't get 3 good years, if not more.

If not the Phillies, rumor had the Yankees possibly naming him their next manager. That is how coveted he is/was.

Lots of guys are coveted that don't do well. Just my gut that says he's not ML managerial material.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/10/tigers_joe_vavra.html#incart_river_index
Tigers hire 2 longtime Twins coaches as Ron Gardenhire builds new staff.
Mlive

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/10/ramon_santiago_tigers.html#incart_river_index
Tigers to hire Ramon Santiago as first base coach.
Mlive

I like Ramon Santiago aka 'Little Buddy' as much as anyone, but from what I remember about him, Santiago isn't the brightest bulb...
Seriously a first base coach?

Last edited:
That's what managers do.. They do it in the NFL, and probably every where else.

Knowing this and liking this are different things. Based on some reports, Gardenhire was attempting to be more progressive, then he turns around and puts the same worn out slippers on.

Knowing this and liking this are different things. Based on some reports, Gardenhire was attempting to be more progressive, then he turns around and puts the same worn out slippers on.

Not sure if being progressive and going with guys you don't know matter much. Not saying I like it or not just that it happens.. You want real chance with analytics it starts in upper management.

Lloyd McClendon will return to the Tigers coaching staff as hitting coach and Dave Clark as third base coach.
We can't get rid of these Shit Bums.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/1...2018-coaching-staff-ramon-santiago-dave-clark
The 2018 Tigers coaching staff revealed.
Ron Gardenhire’s crew is a mix of old friends and new faces.
BYBTB

Currently the coaching staff is about fifty percent existing staff — if Leon “Bull” Durham returns as Assistant Hitting Coach — and fifty percent Gardenhire’s old staff. It’s not unusual for managers to bring on staff they are familiar and comfortable with, but the choices being made here by Gardenhire seem to suggest he possibly isn’t as interested in analytics or new methodology as he may have implied.

Leaving the Tigers are bench coach Gene Lamont, pitching coach Rich Dubee, first base coach Omar Vizquel, and bullpen coach Mick Billmeyer. As of right now there is no confirmation if Matt Martin is staying on as the Tigers Defensive Coach.

Last edited:
Little Buddy is coming back !!!!!!

I always liked Ramon Santiago.

Lloyd McClendon will return to the Tigers coaching staff as hitting coach and Dave Clark as third base coach.
We can't get rid of these Shit Bums.

Have a feeling that this manager, coaching staff, and FO won't be around by '20, and there will probably not be anywhere near enough star power and winning to draw very many fans to the ballpark.

IMO, the Tigers fans deserve far better than this halfass comfort-zone staff, esp after dealing away their last homegrown superstar.

But maybe the Ilitch family plans on selling the franchise, which makes a little more sense as to what they are doing (or not) with it.

Have a feeling that this manager, coaching staff, and FO won't be around by '20, and there will probably not be anywhere near enough star power and winning to draw very many fans to the ballpark.

IMO, the Tigers fans deserve far better than this halfass comfort-zone staff, esp after dealing away their last homegrown superstar.

But maybe the Ilitch family plans on selling the franchise, which makes a little more sense as to what they are doing (or not) with it.

We can only hope....

Last edited:

Who would you want then? Was there a better choice, at least better than "well this guy or that guy could be good, maybe." And Imo, selling the team would be a horrible idea. I'll give Chris Ilitch the benefit of the doubt for now. If we got past the bad 90's we'll make it through.

Who would you want then? Was there a better choice, at least better than "well this guy or that guy could be good, maybe." And Imo, selling the team would be a horrible idea. I'll give Chris Ilitch the benefit of the doubt for now. If we got past the bad 90's we'll make it through.

So what makes Gardenhire so "good" for this ballclub?

Even most of his contending teams got thumped or swept in the first round of their postseasons, and only his '02 twinks team even made it to the ALCS, where they got bounced 4-1 by the Angels. His twinks teams after their ballclub's contending years were just gawdawful. He is basically an old-school throwback in an entirely different statistically-analytically driven era.

The Tigers era of jumpstarting via top FA and trading fireballing SP prospects for expensive past-prime short-term vets into competitiveness and contention are over, and rebuilding requires more shrewdly drafting and developing positional players in virtually the direct opposite manner of what has been done in the past. That means totally revamping the personnel and a modernizing sea-change in operation @ all levels.

The single best outcome for the Tigers this offseason, is if VMart retires, or the Tigers negotiate with him into annuitizing his final contract season over a span of 5 years or longer. But like many old vets, he is likely still in denial over his declining batting skills and snail slowness on the basepaths. His recent reportedly contentious and withdrawn clubhouse demeanor is a good indication of that.

The only Tigers manager in my lifetime, who went on to manage another MLB team was the late Billy Martin. And he had a solid record managing his teams from competitiveness to contenders. Sure would like a firey manager similar to him, (but w/o the obstinance and plus analytics) after or better still, IF the Tigers become competitive by 2021 or so.

Last edited:
My dream team manager/coaching staff:

Carlos Guillen-Manager

Sean Casey-Bench

Kenny Rogers-Pitching

Todd Jones-Bullpen

Magglio Ordonez-Batting

Gary Sheffield-First Base

Placido Polanco-Third Base

Ivan Rodriguez-Defense

Last edited:
So what makes Gardenhire so "good" for this ballclub?

Even most of his contending teams got thumped or swept in the first round of their postseasons, and only his '02 twinks team even made it to the ALCS, where they got bounced 4-1 by the Angels. His twinks teams after their ballclub's contending years were just gawdawful. He is basically an old-school throwback in an entirely different statistically-analytically driven era.

The Tigers era of jumpstarting via top FA and trading fireballing SP prospects for expensive past-prime short-term vets into competitiveness and contention are over, and rebuilding requires more shrewdly drafting and developing positional players in virtually the direct opposite manner of what has been done in the past. That means totally revamping the personnel and a modernizing sea-change in operation @ all levels.

The single best outcome for the Tigers this offseason, is if VMart retires, or the Tigers negotiate with him into annuitizing his final contract season over a span of 5 years or longer. But like many old vets, he is likely still in denial over his declining batting skills and snail slowness on the basepaths. His recent reportedly contentious and withdrawn clubhouse demeanor is a good indication of that.

The only Tigers manager in my lifetime, who went on to manage another MLB team was the late Billy Martin. And he had a solid record managing his teams from competitiveness to contenders. Sure would like a firey manager similar to him, (but w/o the obstinance and plus analytics) after or better still, IF the Tigers become competitive by 2021 or so.

Maybe he isn't but is there a better option? That's what I was asking. Plus you're talking playoff success but this team isn't playoff worthy, so to speak. Not sure why that matters. As far as analytics go.. starts at the GM level. A manager just needs common sense.

My dream team manager/coaching staff:

Carlos Guillen-Manager

Sean Casey-Bench

Kenny Rogers-Pitching

Todd Jones-Bullpen

Magglio Ordonez-Batting

Gary Sheffield-First Base

Placido Polanco-Third Base

Ivan Rodriguez-Defense

You're kidding right? Did you just pick guys you like who had good careers and assume they'll be good? I'll take a guy that has been good, Gardenhire over this bunch.

Though I am curious what makes you think Guillen would be a better manager?

Back