Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017-2018 Off Season Thread

but they have Miggy...attendance will be fine

#sarcasm

Miggy should noticably rebound from his painfully abysmal '17 season, but I would like to see the DH position open for him, Nick, and maybe Christin to bat in next season. Tigers are probably not going to eat VMart's salary, anymore than he himself would forego it by retiring. They will be still be paying on a big chunk of Fielder and almost 2/3rds of Verlander's contracts. I think that Sheffield's is finally off the books....lolz. How much Miggy rebounds to his career averages remains to be seen.

Miggy should noticably rebound from his painfully abysmal '17 season, but I would like to see the DH position open for him, Nick, and maybe Christin to bat in next season. Tigers are probably not going to eat VMart's salary, anymore than he himself would forego it by retiring. They will be still be paying on a big chunk of Fielder and almost 2/3rds of Verlander's contracts. I think that Sheffield's is finally off the books....lolz. How much Miggy rebounds to his career averages remains to be seen.

It was reported that the Tigers sent $16M to the Astros which is less than 30%

From what I understand, all of the money sent away in those trades has been paid but the prorated amounts still go against their annual luxury cap limit (which they won't be reaching)

The best thing for the Tigers is for V-mart to walk off into the sunset. Ideally, he will retire on his own citing health concerns but that is highly unlikley.

If this trade happened, I doubt seriously if they would lose 100 games, let alone 120. At current, DET does not even have a credible leadoff hitter. This trade would at least give them 2.

Additionally, making a trade like this makes trading for the likes of Dawel Lugo and Sergio Alcantara even more ludicrous. Both are on the 40-man roster and have less of an upside as Wade and/or Estrada. Wade and Estrada would provide just as good defense as Iglesias and Machado, and would produce more runs if they performed up to expectations. Frazier immediately becomes our best OFer. Adams is more than capable of providing a replacement for Fulmer.

Burrows, Manning, Perez and/or Faedo allare not too far from DET in development.

If you make this trade, then you spin Iglesias and Castellanos into anything worthwhile.

Fulmer is a known quantity, while Adams isn't. He would need to be in the Tigers rotation for at least 1/3 of the season pitching at an ace level for him to start to attract a fanbase. Maybe sooner if he was to hand-groom the mound, wore a long curly blond wig, and talks to the baseball...

One outstanding pitcher can't overcome a shitty BP and a subpar to garbage remaining rotation. Maybe by '19 but '18 looks 100 losses plus regardless. You pointed out how Fulmer was the only Tigers SP whose pitching was not negatively affected by McCann as his battery-mate. So there is really no guarantee that Adams wouldn't either.

Last edited:
Fulmer is a known quantity, while Adams isn't. He would need to be in the Tigers rotation for at least 1/3 of the season pitching at an ace level for him to start to attract a fanbase. Maybe sooner if he was to hand-groom the mound and talks to the baseball...

One outstanding pitcher can't overcome a shitty BP and a subpar to garbage remaining rotation. Maybe by '19 but '18 looks 100 losses plus regardless. You pointed out how Fulmer was the only Tigers SP whose pitching was not negatively affected by McCann as his battery-mate. So there is really no guarantee that Adams wouldn't either.

Are you forgetting Fulmer ended the season with an elbow injury/surgery? How is that a known quantity?

If giving up a player that plays 7 innings a week can fill multiple every day spots and possible get a replacement for said player being traded. Sign me up. This deal should have been done if it really was what is being reported.

Jeremy Hellickson was a AL ROY winner too.

I think what he was getting at though was that who knows if that injury is a problem going forward.

Isn't about what I think about the trade, which the Tigers brass balked at, but possible reasons about why they didn't go through with it. And for the most part, many Tigers fans who attend the games and buy season/part-season tickets. They tend to see familiar names, not unfamilar MiLB stats.

I posted earlier that I thought that it was a fair trade, under the circumstances. Yankees might not have even made any offer for Fulmer, had they not acquired Stanton.

Michael's nerve surgery wasn't Tommy John or Jeremy Bonderman level of major, so other than having a new manager/coaching staff and shaking off the rust from a long layoff of pitching during ST, he should be able to resume where he left off, and the Yankees apparently believed that he would as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how a top 100 prospect becomes a top rotation guy.. But I might have done that deal.. Just based on getting a bunch of young guys for 1 SP that got hurt.

Fulmer needs to step up this season, stay healthy - and get 200 innings.

Hard to get excited for a team that is going to lose 90 to 105 games this year .

Hard to get excited for a team that is going to lose 90 to 105 games this year .

Just imagine how much worse that it would be if the Tigers were in the ALED or WD. But I am curious to see how Fulmer and Cabrera perform after being injured last year, how Jeimer Candelario performs @ 3B and @ the plate for a whole season, the misadventures of Nick Castellanos in RF, and maybe Mikie Mahtook in CF/LF. Can Zimmerbum achieve the lofty goal of being even mediocre for a whole season? Will the BP stink to high heaven? Will Farmer and the BP give up 3-4 homers apiece to Judge and Stanton in one game? Can Boyd and Norris hold up being #2-3 or 4 in the roto, or will someone else from the minors step in for one of them?

Last edited:
Just imagine how much worse that it would be if the Tigers were in the ALED or WD. But I am curious to see how Fulmer and Cabrera perform after being injured last year, how Jeimer Candelario performs @ 3B and @ the plate for a whole season, the misadventures of Nick Castellanos in RF, and maybe Mikie Mahtook in CF/LF. Can Zimmerbum achieve the lofty goal of being even mediocre for a whole season? Will the BP stink to high heaven? Will Farmer and the BP give up 3-4 homers apiece to Judge and Stanton in one game? Can Boyd and Norris hold up being #2-3 or 4 in the roto, or will someone else from the minors step in for one of them?

Same. Definitely interested in Candelario. And I sure hope Miggy bounces back.. Still a lot to look forward too..

I'm not sure how a top 100 prospect becomes a top rotation guy.. But I might have done that deal.. Just based on getting a bunch of young guys for 1 SP that got hurt.

Away

2015 = 1.52 ERA 0.89 WHIP .193 OPP BAVG 12.5 SO/9
2016 = 3.30 ERA 0.89 WHIP .177 OPP BAVG 8.5 SO/9
2017 = 2.52 ERA 1.08 WHIP .180 OPP BAVG 8.2 SO/9

Chance Adams is a high strikeout pitcher who doesn't walk many. He has succeeded at every level so far (AAA by age 22). There are not many front-line starters with his stat lines. Sure, he still has to prove it. But all indications are that he should succeed. There is no red flags in his peripherals.

Adams last 2 years (ages 21 and 22)

AA 12-1 1.72 ERA 0.93 WHIP 8.9 SO/9
AAA 11-5 2.89 ERA 1.08 WHIP 8.0 SO/9

Away

2015 = 1.52 ERA 0.89 WHIP .193 OPP BAVG 12.5 SO/9
2016 = 3.30 ERA 0.89 WHIP .177 OPP BAVG 8.5 SO/9
2017 = 2.52 ERA 1.08 WHIP .180 OPP BAVG 8.2 SO/9

Chance Adams is a high strikeout pitcher who doesn't walk many. He has succeeded at every level so far (AAA by age 22). There are not many front-line starters with his stat lines. Sure, he still has to prove it. But all indications are that he should succeed. There is no red flags in his peripherals.

Adams last 2 years (ages 21 and 22)

AA 12-1 1.72 ERA 0.93 WHIP 8.9 SO/9
AAA 11-5 2.89 ERA 1.08 WHIP 8.0 SO/9

Thanks. But why did the NYY want to trade him? Put him in the rotation now..

Thanks. But why did the NYY want to trade him? Put him in the rotation now..

Yeah, why did the Yankees offer up Adams in addition to the other two-three positional prospects rumored?

Unless they really didn't.

Yeah, why did the Yankees offer up Adams in addition to the other two-three positional prospects rumored?

Unless they really didn't.

I have a hard time believing that Adams was involved in that proposal. AA can't be that bad...can he?

It's still baseball. Bad baseball>no baseball.

Bad baseball us unwatchable in my opinion. If I thought Avila and his staff could pull off a Astros and win something in a few years it would be exciting but I really have no faith in AA.

Last edited:
Bad baseball us unwatchable in my opinion. If I thought Avila and his staff could pull off a Astros and win something in a few years it would be exciting but I really have no faith in AA.

Tanking to get a WS is a weak. That's exactly what they did.. Rebuild is one thing but losing 110 games 3 years in a row is losing on purpose.

Back