Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Gaming

Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #21

To me, there are 2 main elements of video games and a game only needs to achieve 1 of the 2 things: interactive story telling and/or the trick of making people believe they've accomplished something. Nintendo is a master at designing games that can be beat by people of low skill while still having difficult elements that require higher levels of skill. But the low skill bar has dropped over the years and I get what MC is saying about there being weirdo comic book guy people out there. Looking up things online (which I do now and thought was an unforgivable sin 10 years ago) I've seen comments from people that act like these games owe them something - free games...and people complain when there are mildly difficult elements about how the company needs to include some workaround for people like them.

It's a pretty neat trick, making people believe they've accomplished something special while at the same time making sure absolutely everyone can do it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Gulo Blue; 11-02-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #22

I disagree with the low skill bar. I think that's a narrative that took off without any good evidence.

Souls Series, Nioh, DOS2 (what I am currently playing), there are SO many games that are available that can provide a big time challenge.

Games back in the day were hard because they were completely unfair and programmed horribly. If you think about a game like Punch Out, most of the game is relatively favorable until Tyson, and then he's basically unbeatable. Contra is one shot, you are gone.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
I disagree with the low skill bar. I think that's a narrative that took off without any good evidence.

Souls Series, Nioh, DOS2 (what I am currently playing), there are SO many games that are available that can provide a big time challenge.

Games back in the day were hard because they were completely unfair and programmed horribly. If you think about a game like Punch Out, most of the game is relatively favorable until Tyson, and then he's basically unbeatable. Contra is one shot, you are gone.
Challenges exist, but popular games these days are beatable by most people. If there was some threshold for popularity that made sense over the decades, I think we'd see a steady increase in the percentage of people that could complete popular games. But these days, people buy more games than they can play, so there's a difference between games that are beat and that could be beat, just because of the abundance of dirt cheap games that didn't exist in the past.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #24

Wife picked up Battletoads and discovered she doesn't have her childhood reflexes either.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #25

Our 'family' gift this year is a Switch. Wife is really excited, I'm looking forward to it but am more excited about the Steam Link I just got on sale for 15 bucks.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #26

Games are more beatable today because there is so much more information available to us, and they are programmed properly. We can get walkthroughs, guides, etc in a matter of seconds.

I think people confuse how hard the games were back in the day with how a lot of them were programmed incredibly poorly.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #27

the only video game I have played in the past 10 years is Wii golf or Bowling with my son when he was younger. Now he is in his teens and the Wii is collecting dust. He has a Xbox 360 that is mostly collecting dust and plays his XBox one almost every day. I hope he doesn't want this next novelty.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Games are more beatable today because there is so much more information available to us, and they are programmed properly. We can get walkthroughs, guides, etc in a matter of seconds.

I think people confuse how hard the games were back in the day with how a lot of them were programmed incredibly poorly.
I disagree with the idea that they were programmed poorly. Plenty bad games were made of course, but your typical Nintendo game was very well programmed. Same with a lot of the bigger names like Capcom and Squaresoft. If you compare old Mario to current Mario, old Zelda to current Zelda, old Resident Evil to current Resident Evil...I don't think the quality of the programming has improved (in the case of Sonic and Final Fantasy it actually got worse through the early 2000's.)
Old 11-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #29

Quote:

You're spot on regarding the information and tutorials that are readily available as soon as the games are released.