Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Robert Mueller Russia inquiry: first charges have been filed

Lol.
Only a hard core right winger would think that this president is doing a good job. He is not . His daughter just made a profit of over 50 to 80 million dollars working for the the administration. How is that even leagal ? No Trump is a fool and will either end up in jail or impeached or hopefully beat in the 2020 election . Better sell that house soon before the crash happens again!!!!!!!

Most of the right wingers I’m aware of can’t stand trump they were all part of the never trump movement recall.

Also have no plans to sell the house why would anyone in there right mind want to move and pay 3x the property tax that’s insane

Last edited:
Ivanka and her husband Jared did have business ventures prior to 2016.

they've gotten more profitable since November 2016 though.

82 million dollars while working at the White House . If any fucking democratic president had his kids doing this every GOP political operative including Gix News would be all over them. How is it not a conflict of interest ? It is a shame the Republican Party has flat out let America down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...80389a4e569_story.html?utm_term=.2b75c80513b3

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...rump-jared-kushner-outside-income-white-house

Last edited:
82 million dollars while working at the White House . If any fucking democratic president had his kids doing this every GOP political operative including Gix News would be all over them. How is it not a conflict of interest ? It is a shame the Republican Party has flat out let America down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...80389a4e569_story.html?utm_term=.2b75c80513b3

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...rump-jared-kushner-outside-income-white-house

so you're saying people that work in the Whitehouse should forfeit their outside income?

so you're saying people that work in the Whitehouse should forfeit their outside income?

they should have done what everyone else has done when they took office or entered government service: sold off their assets and put the proceeds in a blind trust.

Let me guess: in this case, open corrupt behavior and quid pro quos are okay because they're Republican, and you'll entertain all sorts of twisted excuse making to defend this because the most important thing to you is "owning teh libs online"

that about right?

Last edited by a moderator:
they should have done what everyone else has done when they took office or entered government service: sold off their assets and put the proceeds in a blind trust.

Let me guess: in this case, open corrupt behavior and quid pro quos are okay because they're Republican, and you'll entertain all sorts of twisted excuse making to defend this because the most important thing to you is "owning teh libs online"

that about right?

I honestly didn't know that's what all politicians do. If that's what all politicians do then maybe that's what Ivanka and her d-bag hubby should have done. I would have been happier if neither were involved with the government at all...her dad is in that group as well.

I honestly didn't know that's what all politicians do. If that's what all politicians do then maybe that's what Ivanka and her d-bag hubby should have done. I would have been happier if neither were involved with the government at all...her dad is in that group as well.

We... agree. 100%.

it's not what all politicians do. For years congressional reps were legally allowed to trade on insider information - see Nancy Pelosi or search for Congress insider trading for a long list of people doing slimy things. The Clinton's didn't shut down their foundation when Hillary held a cabinet position and they took tons of donations from foreign governments AND Bill continued to sell his services for speaking engagements with foreign governments as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the POTUS and VP are supposed to move their assets into a blind trust (not necessarily sell all their holdings) but I don't think the same is required of cabinet positions or advisors. I'm not saying it shouldn't be, I'm only saying I don't think they are required to.

that about right?

It's not because Trump is a Republican at all - every other Republican POTUS and VPOTUS has done the blind trust thing, at least in my lifetime.

President George H.W. Bush brought George W. Bush briefly into the White House on some staff position to ask Chief of Staff John Sununu to resign. Other than that, I can't think of any other family of any President of either party to play a significant role in the administration.

Trump does the shit he does because he's Trump.

Trump isn't really even a Republican, really. He's been a registered Democrat and registered to third parties in the history of his life as a voter.

it's not what all politicians do. For years congressional reps were legally allowed to trade on insider information - see Nancy Pelosi or search for Congress insider trading for a long list of people doing slimy things. The Clinton's didn't shut down their foundation when Hillary held a cabinet position and they took tons of donations from foreign governments AND Bill continued to sell his services for speaking engagements with foreign governments as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the POTUS and VP are supposed to move their assets into a blind trust (not necessarily sell all their holdings) but I don't think the same is required of cabinet positions or advisors. I'm not saying it shouldn't be, I'm only saying I don't think they are required to.

Unfortunately, the most easy to navigate and most to the point list of congress people's net worth is from Wikipedia.

Looking at the various lists, net worth estimates and rankings by wealth vary dramatically. This list puts Nancy Pelosi at 16.

There are plenty of both Republicans and Democrats in the list.

Trump isn't really even a Republican, really. He's been a registered Democrat and registered to third parties in the history of his life as a voter.

Is that actually true? I've read it in several places and you're the most credible source I've seen. Take that how you wish. :cheers:

If I'm not mistaken, the POTUS and VP are supposed to move their assets into a blind trust (not necessarily sell all their holdings) but I don't think the same is required of cabinet positions or advisers. I'm not saying it shouldn't be, I'm only saying I don't think they are required to.

Not only are they just advisers but I don't even believe they have a paid position. Seems like a pretty grey area to me. Hard to ask someone in a voluntary role, regardless of the benefits, to just give up their financial investments and/or jobs.

Is that actually true? I've read it in several places and you're the most credible source I've seen. Take that how you wish. :cheers:

Not only are they just advisers but I don't even believe they have a paid position. Seems like a pretty grey area to me. Hard to ask someone in a voluntary role, regardless of the benefits, to just give up their financial investments and/or jobs.

again, they don't have to "give up financial investments"... just put them in a blind trust. they still have the money.

if they want a government job, they should go and do the government job. if they're focus is still going to be the disgustingly gluttonous accumulation of personal wealth... they should stay in private business.

There's a government ethics office that has been there for decades, staffed with lawyers and accountants, who's sole job has been to help Government officials stay on the bright side of ethical rules. They had a statement on Trump when he was elected that the MAGA crowd, Republicans, and even most Democrats were just like "meh" about, link.

it can't be a blind trust if you know your hotel, condos, and golf club are it's primary assets, and you name your own kids as trustees.

again, they don't have to "give up financial investments"... just put them in a blind trust. they still have the money.

if they want a government job, they should go and do the government job. if they're focus is still going to be the disgustingly gluttonous accumulation of personal wealth... they should stay in private business.

There's a government ethics office that has been there for decades, staffed with lawyers and accountants, who's sole job has been to help Government officials stay on the bright side of ethical rules. They had a statement on Trump when he was elected that the MAGA crowd, Republicans, and even most Democrats were just like "meh" about, link.

it can't be a blind trust if you know your hotel, condos, and golf club are it's primary assets, and you name your own kids as trustees.

I won't pretend to be an expert, I don't even really get the whole gist of what a blind trust is.

It sounds to me that if people really want something like this to keep happening, they're going to have to make it law. Because Trump just set the precedent that these 'guidelines' or 'traditions' mean doo doo.

disgustingly gluttonous accumulation of personal wealth

Very difficult to rephrase that in objective terms. I don't fundamentally hate the idea, but how do you do it? A cap on wealth, beyond which, you have to put your assets in a trust? I'd like to see more rules aimed at building a firewall between wealth and government, but they always sound like they come with more problems than they fix.

I won't pretend to be an expert, I don't even really get the whole gist of what a blind trust is.

It sounds to me that if people really want something like this to keep happening, they're going to have to make it law. Because Trump just set the precedent that these 'guidelines' or 'traditions' mean doo doo.

A trust fund where the money is managed, invested, but the owner doesn't know specifically in what so they can't be accused of conflicts of interest.

We have pretty much the opposite of that now. Pay Trump to stamp his name on your stuff and he'll like you.

Unfortunately, the most easy to navigate and most to the point list of congress people's net worth is from Wikipedia.

Looking at the various lists, net worth estimates and rankings by wealth vary dramatically. This list puts Nancy Pelosi at 16.

There are plenty of both Republicans and Democrats in the list.

the list doesn't necessarily indicate which members engaged in insider trading. Also, I didn't choose Pelosi for partisan reasons - if I'm not mistaken she's one of the most egregious offenders. I would fully expect there to be people from both sides of the aisle taking advantage of the exemption from insider trading restrictions. What surprises me is nobody ever tried to start a hedge fund to run a campaign, get someone elected and then make him the portfolio manager, trading on inside information for massive returns.

It's not because Trump is a Republican at all - every other Republican POTUS and VPOTUS has done the blind trust thing, at least in my lifetime.

President George H.W. Bush brought George W. Bush briefly into the White House on some staff position to ask Chief of Staff John Sununu to resign. Other than that, I can't think of any other family of any President of either party to play a significant role in the administration.

Trump does the shit he does because he's Trump.

what about Bobby Kennedy?

it is true - Trump was a Democrat with typical Dem positions (pro choice right up until he wanted the R nomination, don't think he donated to a single republican in his career but did give money to many Dems).

same with a salaried appointed role where you can be fired at any time - would you give up a successful business you built to take a job with little or no job security.

From Ballotpedia:

Donald Trump donated $175,860 more to Democrats than Republicans from 1989 to 2010, but in 2011 his giving to Democrats significantly decreased. From 2011 to 2015, Republicans received $630,150 in donations from Trump, while Democrats received just $8,500. What caused Trump?s decision to abandon the Democratic Party in 2011 and throw his full support behind Republicans is unclear. It could have been his desire to be taken seriously in the political world and gain influence within the Republican Party in preparation for a future presidential run, as New York Times reporters Maggie Haberman and Alexander Burns suggested in their outline of Trump?s effort to court members of the conservative establishment beginning in 2011.​

Back