Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017-2018 Off Season Thread

Sure they did. Call their bluff. It's not like we had to trade him in December. In-fact they didn't have t trade him at all.

I think the only reason Detroit picked up the option was to trade him (which was smart). There were 4 teams interested in him. He refused to go to 3 of those teams. That left the Angels. They had zero leverage because everybody knew that the Tigers wanted no part of that $11M contract. If AA calls their "bluff" and he can't trade Ian then he looks even more foolish (which is hard given his track record with Detroit)

The way I look at it...the Tigers added two players to the farm system. Maybe they are similar to 10th and 15th round players. They basically got something for nothing (since the Tigers weren't out any more money this year for Ian)

Fuck Chris Ilitch more than the buffoon also known as Al Avila.

I don't blame Chris Illich. His dad is the one who mortgaged the future of the franchise chasing a ring.

As much as it's going to hurt, IMO the path they are taking is the right one. Gota tear this thing down and start over.

I don't blame Chris Illich. His dad is the one who mortgaged the future of the franchise chasing a ring.

As much as it's going to hurt, IMO the path they are taking is the right one. Gota tear this thing down and start over.

I don't care what you think about them either.
but;
do you really think these two asswipes and the rest of the fucked up front office knows or gives a fuck what they are doing?

That would for me, make me think that going through some 100+ loss seasons would be worth it, but he/they don't know the art of dealing or when to deal, and that is why most of these prospects already received won't amount to anything more than organizational fodder.

I think the only reason Detroit picked up the option was to trade him (which was smart). There were 4 teams interested in him. He refused to go to 3 of those teams. That left the Angels. They had zero leverage because everybody knew that the Tigers wanted no part of that $11M contract. If AA calls their "bluff" and he can't trade Ian then he looks even more foolish (which is hard given his track record with Detroit)

The way I look at it...the Tigers added two players to the farm system. Maybe they are similar to 10th and 15th round players. They basically got something for nothing (since the Tigers weren't out any more money this year for Ian)

But since it's his last year you could afford to hold onto him. Maybe let him go out and have a good year, maybe get more return in July. Or injuries in spring.. 10m was not going to kill the payroll. Avila wouldn't look foolish for not accepting an inferior trade. Not that it is that, maybe the RF we got surprises. He looks foolish for trading him this early.

As far as his no trade clause. If Ian wants to play for a better team eventually he'd waive it to go else where.

I don't care what you think about them either.
but;
do you really think these two asswipes and the rest of the fucked up front office knows or gives a fuck what they are doing?

That would for me, make me think that going through some 100+ loss seasons would be worth it, but he/they don't know the art of dealing or when to deal, and that is why most of these prospects already received won't amount to anything more than organizational fodder.

I think they care about the job they are doing but I don't think they know what the fuck they are doing. In that respect, I agree.

I think this will be the last time I look at this thread. What is happening to the Tigers makes me sad. I know it's part of the process but I don't think I've been less excited for baseball season since 2004.

I don't blame Mr. I. He was passionate about the Tigers and and wanted to win. He wanted the fans to get a win. High payroll regardless we had some very exciting seasons the past 12 years. And especially after the previous decade. Somehow I expect if Mr. I was still here he would have gotten rid of Avila.

I gotta be honest. there is a fairly good chance I will not be very interested in watching many Tiger games in 2018 if i'm not around much during games next year it'll be because I don't care to waste my time watching the Al Millen show.

I gotta be honest. there is a fairly good chance I will not be very interested in watching many Tiger games in 2018 if i'm not around much during games next year it'll be because I don't care to waste my time watching the Al Millen show.

iu

I don't blame Mr. I. He was passionate about the Tigers and and wanted to win. He wanted the fans to get a win. High payroll regardless we had some very exciting seasons the past 12 years. And especially after the previous decade. Somehow I expect if Mr. I was still here he would have gotten rid of Avila.

I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I were in Mr. I's shoes (a billionaire with one foot in the grave). But that doesn't mean it was the right decision for the long term health of the franchise.

Kinsler, barring a complete waste of 1/2 season, would have garnered as much for a mid-season trade. And in July, he would be more apt to waive his no trade. Saying this is the best they could do is being short-sighted and just making excuses.

I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing if I were in Mr. I's shoes (a billionaire with one foot in the grave). But that doesn't mean it was the right decision for the long term health of the franchise.

Long term health? 2 ways to win, spend lots of money or do the Astro tank and gather high draft picks. Maybe a 3rd, The Marlins way. Can you be good with 100m payroll, sure. Win a title less sure. That's just the way it is.

Either way no long term effect if you have the money to keep on spending. I'm not sure if prices were increased the more Mr. I spent but for me I wasn't going to games anyway. That article that KC posted.. That is not a bad strategy. Trade your long term guys or one in done in the summer and re-spend again in the winter.

I don't believe the long term health of the franchise was messed up because of a high payroll.

I'm OK with the the front office completely tearing everything down, it's probably necessary, but I just have no faith that they can build it back up. Trades and free agents (plus a lot of $$$$$) were enough to keep this team afloat for a good while, but drafting and player development were never their strong suits and this team is going to be very bad for a while because of it.

Long term health? 2 ways to win, spend lots of money or do the Astro tank and gather high draft picks. Maybe a 3rd, The Marlins way. Can you be good with 100m payroll, sure. Win a title less sure. That's just the way it is.

Either way no long term effect if you have the money to keep on spending. I'm not sure if prices were increased the more Mr. I spent but for me I wasn't going to games anyway. That article that KC posted.. That is not a bad strategy. Trade your long term guys or one in done in the summer and re-spend again in the winter.

I don't believe the long term health of the franchise was messed up because of a high payroll.

It's not just the over spending but the fact that they made several trades that depleted the farm system over the years.

A good example of Mr. I making poor decisions because he wanted that title was getting rid of DD because DD wanted to re-build during the 2015 season. DD was making the move but Mr I wanted to keep going. DD left and Mr I hired AA. Then AA signed Upton, Lowe, Pelfrey and Zimmerman.

It's not just the over spending but the fact that they made several trades that depleted the farm system over the years.

A good example of Mr. I making poor decisions because he wanted that title was getting rid of DD because DD wanted to re-build during the 2015 season. DD was making the move but Mr I wanted to keep going. DD left and Mr I hired AA. Then AA signed Upton, Lowe, Pelfrey and Zimmerman.

Not sure exactly what happened to DD but I suspect if Mr. I was still around Avila would be gone and the spending would continue. We didn't have much when it came to prospects anyway.. They don't draft well.. That's the thing that needs changing.

DD was in his final year and rumor at the time was he was already in contact with Boston. He was also ignoring his boss' wishes.

Ben Cherrington was fired on August 18th, 2015 at the same time DD was hired. DD was fired by DET just 2-weeks earlier. This is evidence in and of itself, but no GM or manager gets fired and then be employed within 2-weeks without there being smoke. Certainly not "during" the season.

I found this interesting. Phillies with only $6.9M ??

MLB Team Financial Commitments For 2018

TEAM PLAYERS PAYROLL (IN MILLIONS)

Los Angeles Dodgers 16 $176.4
San Francisco Giants 10 S155.4
Boston Red Sox 9 $146.9
Washington Nationals 12 $140.1
New York Yankees 8 $114.2
Seattle Mariners 9 $113.2
Kansas City Royals 13 $107.4
St. Louis Cardinals 10 $107.0
Los Angeles Angels 7 $105.6
Detroit Tigers 8 $102.8
Miami Marlins 8 $95.3
Chicago Cubs 6 $94.2
Texas Rangers 9 $93.8
Toronto Blue Jays 8 $88.8
Cleveland Indians 12 $88.8
Houston Astros 10 $85.8
Atlanta Braves 8 $76.7
Pittsburgh Pirates 10 $75.1
New York Mets 5 $70.8
Colorado Rockies 8 $68.9
Cincinnati Reds 5 $68.8
Minnesota Twins 6 $67.4
Arizona Diamondbacks 5 $60.8
Baltimore Orioles 4 $59.9
Tampa Bay Rays 5 $36.2
Milwaukee Brewers 4 $32.2
San Diego Padres 6 $31.6
Oakland Athletics 5 $22.3
Chicago White Sox 3 $14.9
Philadelphia Phillies 3 $6.9

Last edited:
MLB as whole sure throwing the money around so far. Don't remember this much action, FA & trades, in a long time. Still have Darvish and JD out there..

I found this interesting. Phillies with only $6.9M ??

MLB Team Financial Commitments For 2018

TEAM PLAYERS PAYROLL (IN MILLIONS)

Los Angeles Dodgers 16 $176.4
San Francisco Giants 10 S155.4
Boston Red Sox 9 $146.9
Washington Nationals 12 $140.1
New York Yankees 8 $114.2
Seattle Mariners 9 $113.2
Kansas City Royals 13 $107.4
St. Louis Cardinals 10 $107.0
Los Angeles Angels 7 $105.6
Detroit Tigers 8 $102.8
Miami Marlins 8 $95.3
Chicago Cubs 6 $94.2
Texas Rangers 9 $93.8
Toronto Blue Jays 8 $88.8
Cleveland Indians 12 $88.8
Houston Astros 10 $85.8
Atlanta Braves 8 $76.7
Pittsburgh Pirates 10 $75.1
New York Mets 5 $70.8
Colorado Rockies 8 $68.9
Cincinnati Reds 5 $68.8
Minnesota Twins 6 $67.4
Arizona Diamondbacks 5 $60.8
Baltimore Orioles 4 $59.9
Tampa Bay Rays 5 $36.2
Milwaukee Brewers 4 $32.2
San Diego Padres 6 $31.6
Oakland Athletics 5 $22.3
Chicago White Sox 3 $14.9
Philadelphia Phillies 3 $6.9

Not sure where you got that and/or how old it is. PHI signed Carlos Santana for 3-years, $60 Mil. So by himself, he makes $20 Mil in 2018.

http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

DET has $105.5 Mil committed to just 7 players in 2018. They have 5 players arbitration eligible, including Castellanos and Iglesias. So even DET's numbers are suspect. To met the numbers cited, they would have included Kinsler and did not include the monies owed for Fielder and Verlander.

Back