Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions fan misery index

Lions winning percentage in my lifetime is 43%, but that is skewed by the inclusion of the '56 season, most of which I spent while still in utero.

Skipping the lowlights of the 60s-80s, such as Chuck Hughes dying on the Tiger Stadium turf in '71, Lions losing their first playoff game 5-0 vs Cowboys in '70. Billy Sims sustaining a career-ending knee injury in '84, Eddie Murray wide right in the closing minute of their '85 playoff game vs @ Niners...

Almost forgot about Tom Dempsey's record 63 yd game-winning FG @ Saints in '70. The Lions, not being happy with other teams having 60+ yd FGs kicked against them, doubled their total in '13 vs @ Ravens, when Justin Tucker kicked a 61 yd game-winning FG...his 6th FG of the game.

Last edited:
41% for me as well, but that's a bit skewed because the Lions were actually good when I was only 2-3 years old.

Just knowing I was only 27 when they won last playoff game. Amazing.

I was in the end zone in that playoff game when Murray missed. It was like slow motion watching that thing.

I was Lionized pretty quickly too. My first memory of this franchise...I was listening to the game on the car radio when Paul Edinger kicked that 50+ yarder to kill their playoff hopes in 2000, which was then followed by 10 losing seasons in a row. People wonder why fans are so down on this team, it's because of introductions like that.

I was Lionized pretty quickly too. My first memory of this franchise...I was listening to the game on the car radio when Paul Edinger kicked that 50+ yarder to kill their playoff hopes in 2000, which was then followed by 10 losing seasons in a row. People wonder why fans are so down on this team, it's because of introductions like that.

I feel bad for you, zero success and no consistent success since you started watching. I at least got to witness Sanders, Moore and quite a few widcard births, lol. Not sure if I'd be a lions fan if I was born 10 years later.

Last edited:

This happened fairly early in my life as a Lions fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7_Jzq4jWNM

Things haven't gotten a whole lot better ever since.

Me at age 70: Total wins 451 Total Losses 563 Total ties 19

My age during the franchise's notable lowlights:
2016: Calvin Johnson retired 69
2008: Lions completed their 0-16 season 61
1999: Barry Sanders retired 52
1994: Lions clinched their last division title 47
1992: Lions last won a playoff game 45
1958: Bobby Layne was traded to the Steelers 11
1957: Lions' last championship 10

We must be around the same age. My first real memories are Barry retiring, the Lions beating the Rams in 1999 regular season and getting excited thinking they could win it all, only to get destroyed by the Redskins in the wild card game that year. Stopped being a fan altogether after the 2005 season I would say. Matt Millen killed my interest in this franchise, I watch on occasion but I never live and die with them like other people.

Oh boo hoo they lost a few games. Cheer up Nancy boys, this is a very good team.

Oh boo hoo they lost a few games. Cheer up Nancy boys, this is a very good team.

You saying they have "lost a few games" is like saying the Browns "don't have a great record" this year. Stop being an idiot.

This franchise has been abysmal for 50+ years. That being said, I never get into that argument. I simply don't care if they were bad in the past.

he lives in fantasy land...where every game is a true win and the Lions are the true Super Bowl winner every year

Super Bowl contender. And it's only a handful of games not every game. It's not a fantasy. The ref errors and injuries are facts with specific examples.

Lions are a good team. No misery needed

S
Me at age 70: Total wins 451 Total Losses 563 Total ties 19

My age during the franchise's notable lowlights:
2016: Calvin Johnson retired 69
2008: Lions completed their 0-16 season 61
1999: Barry Sanders retired 52
1994: Lions clinched their last division title 47
1992: Lions last won a playoff game 45
1958: Bobby Layne was traded to the Steelers 11
1957: Lions' last championship 10

Least you get the 1950's. Shit I'm cursed. Born in 1961 right when Ford became President I think. He bought the team 2 years later. The Ford's will go down as one of the worst team owners of all time unless they can win a few super bowl wins soon. I mean I drink the Honolulu blue and silver cool aid every damn year only to get let down .

Last edited:
The Lions apparently do not practice with caution in mind, or are taught that they can't get away with the same ticky-tack penalties that teams who have a history of being winners more often will, depending upon their opponent/rival. That also goes for many other teams, but the Browns and Lions especially so. Its bad enough that the refs are enforcing obscure rules on them once or twice per season, which end up costing wins.

Super Bowl contender. And it's only a handful of games not every game. It's not a fantasy. The ref errors and injuries are facts with specific examples.

Lions are a good team. No misery needed

No, they're not a good team. They have a few good players, but they're not good. This coaching staff proves time and time again that they can't get their players up for battle. They fall into a hole immediately and the good players on this team start playing well. It's a vicious circle that keeps repeating itself. The coaches gotta go!!!

Back