Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The "Just wins something" crowd

We have other rivals to give us some perspective. It's weird that Spartan outsider views are so different from Buckeye outsider views.

Buckeyes, animals that they are, still basically revel in their own success. Spartans instead revel in our misery and disappointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When MSU went 3-9 in 2016, did any of the M posters here even care?

Which time?

In my almost 50 years as a Michigan/college football fan, I'm pretty sure the Spartans have done that more than once.

That said...naw...I never cared.

Back in the days before the evolution of the internet trolls, I guess the very few occasions the in state rivals had success in the Big Ten, I'd be glad it was them as opposed to anyone else, if it wasn't Michigan that season.

Which time?

In my almost 50 years as a Michigan/college football fan, I'm pretty sure the Spartans have done that more than once.

That said...naw...I never cared.

Back in the days before the evolution of the internet trolls, I guess the very few occasions the in state rivals had success in the Big Ten, I'd be glad it was them as opposed to anyone else, if it wasn't Michigan that season.

I mean ... makes sense. Never begrudged any MSU team that enjoyed success. Never celebrated it, either.

When MSU went 3-9 in 2016, did any of the M posters here even care?

Plenty of them found joy in our misery last year. I understand that you only faintly recognize that there is another Big Ten team in the state of Michigan though.

Sadly, yes. We won a Sugar Bowl and I think we won the Flint Michigan Mega Bowl.

So you agree with my original premise

There are others who disagree with you. The Sugar Bowl that year was won by luck. Michigan didn't deserve to be there. The Sugar Bowl is not a championship. Etc etc.

Buckeyes, animals that they are, still basically revel in their own success. Spartans instead revel in our misery and disappointment.

Again, I would't consider 8-4 to be misery.

We focus on our own program, but of course a Michigan loss brings a smile to our faces as well. Of course that's the nature of a rivalry, I really don't care about what happens to Wisconsin or Iowa

We focus on our own program, but of course a Michigan loss brings a smile to our faces as well. Of course that's the nature of a rivalry, I really don't care about what happens to Wisconsin or Iowa

A Spartan loss has only brought a smile to my face if a) it came against Michigan - that's all sports of course, or b) Michigan benefited in the B1G standings - again, all sports.

If Michigan benefits in the B1G standings with a Spartan win, I'm going to want that.

Other than that, I don't much care.

There ? you admit it. An MSU loss, other than to Michigan (which are presently rare) garners no reaction whatsoever from me. The ?nature of the rivalry? does not include, for me, anyway, smiling when MSU loses.

Last edited:
Plenty of them found joy in our misery last year. I understand that you only faintly recognize that there is another Big Ten team in the state of Michigan though.

?Plenty? ? how many is that? Lots? Numerous?

There ? you admit it. An MSU loss, other than to Michigan (which are presently rare) garners no reaction whatsoever from me. The ?nature of the rivalry? does not include, for me, anyway, smiling when MSU loses.

You're not going include that you want the Spartans to lose when it benefits Michigan in the standings, and you want them to win when that benefits Michigan in the standings, like I did, in the post above yours?

You're not going include that you want the Spartans to lose when it benefits Michigan in the standings, and you want them to win when that benefits Michigan in the standings, like I did, in the post above yours?

Must not matter if I didn?t mention it. Out of my control. And how often has that happened anyway?

I used to pull for MSU when they weren't playing Michigan. But in the last decade or so, things have changed; I generally don't care but I don't want them doing better than Michigan. So now, whether I don't care or want them to lose depends on how they are doing relative to Michigan. And really, it's just for the sake of interacting with their fans.

Then I guess we just look at rivalries differently. I'd bet that UNC fans like it when Duke loses, Bama-Auburn, Florida-FSU, etc.

Then I guess we just look at rivalries differently. I'd bet that UNC fans like it when Duke loses, Bama-Auburn, Florida-FSU, etc.

The rivalry exists for me when the teams play each other.

Must not matter if I didn?t mention it. Out of my control. And how often has that happened anyway?

Well, I hate to break it to you, but it's also out of your control who wins when they play each other, too.

It's happened a little more often in the D'Antonio era in football, and it's pretty common in basketball, if a Michigan fan is also a fan of Michigan basketball.

I used to pull for MSU when they weren't playing Michigan. But in the last decade or so, things have changed; I generally don't care but I don't want them doing better than Michigan. So now, whether I don't care or want them to lose depends on how they are doing relative to Michigan. And really, it's just for the sake of interacting with their fans.

well prior to the last decade us doing better to Michigan wasn't really much of a threat, at least throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's. It's hard to have that much hatred towards a rival that was clearly not up to par for so long.

The rivalry exists for me when the teams play each other.

That may be the case for you, but when MSU was playing Bama I doubt many Michigan fans were pulling for us, nor should they have been.

well prior to the last decade us doing better to Michigan wasn't really much of a threat, at least throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's. It's hard to have that much hatred towards a rival that was clearly not up to par for so long.

That's not all it's about. Like with Bama. There's absolutely no reason I should like Bama. I really don't. Made one good Bama friend, and I find myself hoping things go well for them for his sake as long as it doesn't impact Michigan. For MSU, there are so many people I like that I would like to root for MSU for, it's really incredible that there are people that have swung me the other way. It's entirely personal. People with college educations and decent lives that turn around and say the dumbest things. Otherwise good people that turn around and get mean-spirited about anything relating to Ann Arbor. They've changed how I feel about things.

Back