Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rodgers Medically Cleared To Play

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/12/did_the_green_bay_packers_viol.html#incart_river_index
Some NFL teams believe the Packers should be forced to release Aaron Rodgers.
Mlive

https://detroitsportsnation.com/det...-forced-release-aaron-rodgers/12-2017/100596/
Could the Green Bay Packers be forced to release Aaron Rodgers?
DSN

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...violated-ir-rule-think-aaron-rodgers-released
Teams complain that Packers violated IR rule, think Aaron Rodgers should be released.
espn

But AR wouldn't have to sign with another team, right?

He wouldn't have to resign with them but the remainder of his current contract would be with whoever got the waiver claim.

edit: His contract is currently through 2020

Last edited:
He wouldn't have to resign with them but the remainder of his current contract would be with whoever got the waiver claim.

edit: His contract is currently through 2020

Maybe I don't understand this football rule but why would he get waived if being released?

Maybe I don't understand this football rule but why would he get waived if being released?

When a player is released, he goes on waivers to see if any team want to take on the contract. Any team willing to take on the contract, they put in a claim. Basically they follow the draft order for who gets the claim. If no one is willing to take on the contract, the player has cleared waivers and is free to sign with any team in the league.

When a player is released, he goes on waivers to see if any team want to take on the contract. Any team willing to take on the contract, they put in a claim. Basically they follow the draft order for who gets the claim. If no one is willing to take on the contract, the player has cleared waivers and is free to sign with any team in the league.

Thanks. It's this last sentence that makes him get waived...

RELEASED: When a team drops a player from the roster who's considered a vested veteran, with four or more years in the league, his contract is terminated and he's immediately free to sign with any other club. Only after the trade deadline, set this year for Nov. 1, does a vested veteran first pass through the waiver system.

I doubt anything happens

from an article I just read

It's pretty obvious what the Packers did and the rule was clearly broken. But does that mean the team should be forced to cut Rodgers loose? According to the rules, yes. But the Packers have one excellent line of defense: The NFL has to approve IR moves before they happened, meaning the league already signed off on this. So you can bet it's going to stand.

Back