Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Science fiction and Fantasy Books

Lord of the Rings, By JRR Tolkien... Man i read these three books ages ago...

"A Song Of Fire And Ice" Series is up to five Books now.. By George R.R. Martin. I am on the 5th book now and George is a pretty darn good writer. He has written a lot of books and short stories

1. A Game Of Thrones. (Now a HBO series)
2. A Clash Of Kings.
3. A Storm Of Swords.
4. A Feast For Crows.
5. A Dance With Dragons.

The only other book of his I have read is.
'Hunters Run' Co-authored with Gardner Dozois, and Daniel Abraham.
Pretty fast and decent little read..

I have read a bunch of Iain M. Banks books... He writes both fiction and Science Fiction.. I think he is best known for his Science fiction 'Culture Novels'... It is not really a series per-say.. My two favorite of his are.

'Consider Phlebas' 1987.
'The Player of Games' 1988.

He has many other books...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Banks

I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. They're working on a movie deal for it, with Ron Howard directing, but it's currently in limbo. I really hope they do it right, if they're going to do it at all.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/

I have read nearly all Tolkein's stuff and love it, the Chronicle's of Narnia (kinda childish tho but entertaining), Harry Potter series (read all of them twice), currently reading Diamond Throne by David Eddings so far so good

staegrac said:
I have read nearly all Tolkein's stuff and love it, the Chronicle's of Narnia (kinda childish tho but entertaining), Harry Potter series (read all of them twice), currently reading Diamond Throne by David Eddings so far so good

I will read anything entertaining. The harry potter books are definitely entertaining. maybe the best fantasy world ever created.

never read narnia, but the movies are...eh okay. The real books that you should read are the percy jackson series. They're short and easy to go through. I love mythology (especially greek) so I had to read these eventually. I'm glad i did.

To the topic: I love the eragon books (Loved dragons since i was a kid), Gail Z Martin has a series called "The Chronicles of the Necromancer" that are insanely cool and much more adult oriented. Cinda Williams Shima has two cool series out. They're basically meant for older teens and up, but they're very cool. One is the Seven Realms series and the other is The Heir series. Also as I've mentioned before, The books by George R R Martin are awesome.

This is probably my favorite reading category. I love anything to do with dragons, fighting (armed or unarmed), magic (as long as it's not cheesy),and kings.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
staegrac said:

I will read anything entertaining. The harry potter books are definitely entertaining. maybe the best fantasy world ever created.

never read narnia, but the movies are...eh okay. The real books that you should read are the percy jackson series. They're short and easy to go through. I love mythology (especially greek) so I had to read these eventually. I'm glad i did.

To the topic: I love the eragon books (Loved dragons since i was a kid), Gail Z Martin has a series called "The Chronicles of the Necromancer" that are insanely cool and much more adult oriented. Cinda Williams Shima has two cool series out. They're basically meant for older teens and up, but they're very cool. One is the Seven Realms series and the other is The Heir series. Also as I've mentioned before, The books by George R R Martin are awesome.

This is probably my favorite reading category. I love anything to do with dragons, fighting (armed or unarmed), magic (as long as it's not cheesy),and kings.

I have read the first 2 of the percy jackson stuff then got side tracked, the lightning thief movie sucked badly (one of the worst movies from a book I have seen), and just finished 2 books on Nicolas Flamel

A new author that i like was Paolo Bagigalupi He only has three books out but

'The Windup Girl' 2009, won both the Hugo, and Nebula awards , and the John W. Campbell Award...It was named as the ninth best fiction book of 2009 by TIME magazine...

He has a collection of short stories called 'Pump Six' which does include a shorter version of the book above. He also has a 2010 book out called ' Ship Breaker' for young adults...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Bacigalupi

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]"A Song Of Fire And Ice" Series is up to five Books now.. By George R.R. Martin. I am on the 5th book now and George is a pretty darn good writer. He has written a lot of books and short stories

1. A Game Of Thrones. (Now a HBO series)
2. A Clash Of Kings.
3. A Storm Of Swords.
4. A Feast For Crows.
5. A Dance With Dragons.

The only other book of his I have read is.
'Hunters Run' Co-authored with Gardner Dozois, and Daniel Abraham.
Pretty fast and decent little read..

Just started A Feast for Crows. I have absolutely loved the books so far, although I have seen the HBO series now, and so now I picture everybody the way they are in the TV Series. I enjoyed their casting, but it definitely changed the way I pictured a few characters when I had first started reading them.

Not a huge sci-fi fan, but I read Dune when I was younger and really liked it. Ill second the Dark Tower series. After seeing season 1 of Game of Thrones, A Song of Fire and Ice is at the top of my priority list of books to buy in the very near future.

DR said:
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. They're working on a movie deal for it, with Ron Howard directing, but it's currently in limbo. I really hope they do it right, if they're going to do it at all.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/

This the first 3 were far better then the rest though.

Also, the Talisman and Black House by King and Straub (Ghost story fame) are the first outside references outside of The Stand that mention the Crimson King or the Breakers, though several other books do later.

I have not read the Harry Potter books, but I enjoyed the Movies once they got a bit darker, so I might give them a spin.

I have read all 3 Lord of the Rings books, plus The Hobbit, and The Similarion.

The series I just finished reading was the The Emberverse Series. I was pretty impressed with the first three. The next four are OK but they changed a bit. I will read the last few when they come out.

Dresden Series by Jim Butcher, simply amazing if your a guy. Its about supernatural things like wizards, vampires, trolls, magic, etc, etc, etc all the while the main character is a funny smart ass that throws bad action movie references in.

Scott Westerfeld has mostly written teen books and he is very successful
at it. A New york Times Bestseller....
But he did foray into the hard science fiction with around 4 or 5 books..
Here are two gems. These are the only two books of his i have read. They really are one book broken into two I think.. He has mentioned doing a few more but his teen books are more successful.

1. The Risen Empire, Book one of Succession. 2003
2. The Killing of Worlds, Book Two of Succession. 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Westerfeld

A couple other authors need to be mentioned.

Joe Haldeman , The Forever War'. 1974. Won the Nebula Award in 1975,[1] and the Hugo and the Locus awards in 1976.

Peter F. Hamilton.
Jack McDevitt.

We should mention the classic SF guys. Some have already been mentioned but these are some of the all time greats. I know i missed a few.

Isaac Asimov.
Ray Bradbury.
Robert A Heinlein.
Arthur C Clarke.
George Orwell.
Frank Herbert.
Kurt Vonnegut.
Frederik Pohl.
Orson Scott Card.
Aldous Huxley.
H.G. Wells.

Back