Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Misc Sports

Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
Yeah, we can concentrate on a lifeless baseball organization. Wee.

I'm sick over this. World Cup is 90000x better than anything baseball produces.
Well then you will still be entertained and engaged.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by byco42 View Post
Well then you will still be entertained and engaged.
As an American, it's good to go into the World Cup with a secondary team to root for, I stick with my heritage!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Yeah, we can concentrate on a lifeless baseball organization. Wee.

I'm sick over this. World Cup is 90000x better than anything baseball produces.
Unless you don't care about US soccer and the World Cup..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #24

That's fine. It's just a silly comment. As though sports requires some level of "concentration" to watch.

It's one of the best events in the world, period. And the ratings bear that out. I enjoy baseball, but I don't think there's anything more boring in the sporting world than midseason baseball.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
As an American, it's good to go into the World Cup with a secondary team to root for, I stick with my heritage!

too bad they have an even lousier national team than the US does most years.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #26

favorite non-US World Cup memory: watching '06 Italy France final at my friend's place. (he grew up in France). I was the only person there cheering for Italy.

friend starts giving me shit "Italians are so sleazy and underhanded. How could anyone cheer for this team, other than a sleazy Italian. Dirtiest team in Europe."

LITERALLY as soon as he finished saying that Zidane headbutted Materazzi away from the play, but still on camera. I said "Hey what the fuck was that?!? You can't do that!!!"

then they showed slo-mo replays of the headbutt, and I was cheering "Ha, who's sleazy and underhanded now?!? He's gone! he's done! he just attacked his opponent on globally broadcast television!"
Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
That's fine. It's just a silly comment. As though sports requires some level of "concentration" to watch.

It's one of the best events in the world, period. And the ratings bear that out. I enjoy baseball, but I don't think there's anything more boring in the sporting world than midseason baseball.
everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd watch a mid season Tigers game over a world cup match, even if it were the USA playing.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd watch a mid season Tigers game over a world cup match, even if it were the USA playing.
To each his own, of course, and I'm not a baseball hater, but it's tough to match the emotion and high stakes of a World Cup game with a mid season MLB game.

I mean, for one thing, there are 161 freaking more baseball games to watch in the season... and for another, it's not just a bunch of guys playing for contracts; this is for national pride.

I've never seen bars erupt in applause and cheers for any sport like I have World Cup soccer. Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria in 2010 to put the US through was insane.

but of course if you were just looking for something chill & relaxing to do while you ate peanuts and drank a beer, then midseason MLB is for you.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #29

Quote:

That's why humans differ.. Many say golf is boring but for me it's awesome.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 10-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
To each his own, of course, and I'm not a baseball hater, but it's tough to match the emotion and high stakes of a World Cup game with a mid season MLB game.

I mean, for one thing, there are 161 freaking more baseball games to watch in the season... and for another, it's not just a bunch of guys playing for contracts; this is for national pride.

I've never seen bars erupt in applause and cheers for any sport like I have World Cup soccer. Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria in 2010 to put the US through was insane.

but of course if you were just looking for something chill & relaxing to do while you ate peanuts and drank a beer, then midseason MLB is for you.
The problem with national pride is a situation like now that they've been eliminated is you need to wait 4 years to see it again. They say Olympics sports is for national pride but NHL, NBA and such the pro's are playing so it's just like a regular season game.. Not like 1980 anymore (Hockey)..