Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford's next!!!

I think his best point was when he said the Lions have 22 upgrades.. Lol.

Lions oline cant open any holes....and you guys have cried and whined that they suck so bad that they are the reason stafford underperforms. But now miraculously they are better than the teams oline that went to the super bowl last year, had an amazing run game and one of the better passing games in NFL history. Yup...LKP is in mid season dumbfuck form.

Funny thing is, Stafford doesn't underperform. Even with a shit OLine and running game last year. He just needs to be a little bit better and/or smarter than your average QB. They're finally building an OLine around the guy and people aren't allowed to be excited? Come the fuck on lol. No, we're not the Falcons but things are looking better. Much better if AA stays upright and this OLine starts to mesh. It just sucks that our potential stud LT goes down though. I'm really starting to worry about Staff's blindside....

Last edited:
Swanson was hurt. Lang and wagner upgrades. Glasgow year 2. Decker will be back. Its a completly different oline. 2 new backup tackles as well

Yes you complain about 2014 and 2015 olines. Yes 2016 oline had major injuries down the stretch. Yes stafford was hurt in most crucial time

Hughes is off his meds again

This thread sums up Stafford well. Even his biggest supporters are still giving if/then statements on his performance. How many teams with top QBs are debating IF their QB can have a good year. Teams with top QBs know their QB will perform in the upcoming season.

Year 9 of this guy and no one is sure what to expect from him.

Last year was the first year he played better than the sum of his parts around him. But I'm not comfortable saying he is going to do that again. Hopeful? Yes. Confident? No

This thread sums up Stafford well. Even his biggest supporters are still giving if/then statements on his performance. How many teams with top QBs are debating IF their QB can have a good year. Teams with top QBs know their QB will perform in the upcoming season.

Last year was the first year he played better than the sum of his parts around him. But I'm not comfortable saying he is going to do that again. Hopeful? Yes. Confident? No

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. I have 100% faith that Stafford will perform. It's guys like Abdullah, that defense and if the OLine holds up i'm more worried about. You go ahead and believe whatever the fuck you want to believe in. Obviously #9 isn't one of them...lol. Whatever! Out of everyone on this fkn team, the last guy we should be worried about is Stafford.

Stafford always performs well. The offensive stats suffer due to run game (ie RB injuries) and Oline (ie Lombardi and injuries). It's a revamped Oline and the stud RBs are back.

Run game, number of healthy reliable weapons, protection, drops and short fields are key for EVERY QB

Big year for Stafford. MVP type year.

So no excuses why Stafford shouldn't finish the year as a top 5 QB. I like it. No excuses.

I think he only performed better than the sum of the parts around him last year because he completely eliminated all the risk from his game. He completed alot of short passes last year and rarely pushed the ball down the field. He has good YAC play makers, so he played to their strengths.....he doesnt have anyone that can go get the ball down field in traffic. We were a ball control, low scoring offense last year. And it was his best year in quite some time.....go figure.

I think he only performed better than the sum of the parts around him last year because he completely eliminated all the risk from his game. He completed alot of short passes last year and rarely pushed the ball down the field. He has good YAC play makers, so he played to their strengths.....he doesnt have anyone that can go get the ball down field in traffic. We were a ball control, low scoring offense last year. And it was his best year in quite some time.....go figure.

That is a big part of it. To Stafford's credit he wasn't missing the short throws last year. First 7 years was filled with short throws that would be horribly placed or flat out miss the guy.

Stafford is maturing as well. He worked with a QB guru this year. He scoffed at the idea in prior years of getting outside help. I think he realized that a strong arm doesn't mean a good arm. He seems to be taking his job seriously.

That said, it's hard to forget the first 7 years. Which is why it's hard to have complete confidence that he can play at the high level for a full year. Because we still have never seen that.If they do open up the playbook more and try downfield throws, will his new found accuracy translate? Or will it be same old Stafford, missing guys by a few yards.

So no excuses why Stafford shouldn't finish the year as a top 5 QB. I like it. No excuses.

Injuries can happen anytime to multiple 1st and 2nd stringers. But based on starter talent, no excuses. The NFL is one big injury roulette.

Who gets hurt, how many, does the depth get hurt too, did you get hurt in an area of thin depth or strong depth. It varies

That is a big part of it. To Stafford's credit he wasn't missing the short throws last year. First 7 years was filled with short throws that would be horribly placed or flat out miss the guy.

Stafford is maturing as well. He worked with a QB guru this year. He scoffed at the idea in prior years of getting outside help. I think he realized that a strong arm doesn't mean a good arm. He seems to be taking his job seriously.

That said, it's hard to forget the first 7 years. Which is why it's hard to have complete confidence that he can play at the high level for a full year. Because we still have never seen that.If they do open up the playbook more and try downfield throws, will his new found accuracy translate? Or will it be same old Stafford, missing guys by a few yards.

His support was pathetic in 2012/2013 with lack of weapons, drops and lack of short fields. Stafford was good in 2012 and 2013 but there support wouldn't let his stats show it

2014 was a transition year with abysmal run game and poor protection due to Lombardi.

2015 more Lombardi problems and fumbles by non QBs in first half. Then Cooter took over and showed how to run the offense with 119 QB rating in second half of season. Then 2016 he was great again until the injury

He was good and now is great. He improved but his mid 80s ratings was the rest of the offense problem not a Stafford is mediocre or sucks problems. He was always good, now he is great

Top 5? Lol. I expect a top 10 at least. You don't even like the kid and you're expecting a top 5 performance? I think he's more than capable of performing at an extremely high level, but don't even tell me that our LT situation isn't giving you night sweats. There are undrafted players and camp bodies schooling our potential starters at LT as we speak lol. That's frightening....

Injuries can happen anytime to multiple 1st and 2nd stringers. But based on starter talent, no excuses. The NFL is one big injury roulette.

Who gets hurt, how many, does the depth get hurt too, did you get hurt in an area of thin depth or strong depth. It varies

i think were pretty thin at a lot of key positions. Nearly every position on the defense:

DE - Ansah....then everyone else
DT - We have some depth there.
LB - 2 new starters, nothing behind them
CB - Slay, a rookie....then alot of bodies with average talent
S - lost a lot of quality depth we had last year. Need Killebrew to be able to fill in for the role Bush played last year.

Couple major injuries to key starters and were done....

DE2 and DE3 is deep. Washington and Hyder are solid and can be interchangeable. Bryant can play. Ansah needs to get healthy though. TBD how the team would do if Ansah misses a lot of time. Remaining DEs and DT can provide some pressure but Ansah is a game changer.

DT is deep with experience and good starters. Jordan Hill has been looking good rushing from DT. His problem is health not talent. Also Hyder and Washington can slide to DT for pressure from there while the other plays LE

LB Worrilow is solid depth with lots of experience for Whitehead at least. Williams and Reeves-Mabin are the wildcard as 4th round rookie and 5th round improving second year player with some experience. Only two LBs play a lot. SAM is rarely on the field (20-30%) with lots of nickel. Williams has improved at SAM. Whitehead is better on outside so makes Will better. There is Mike depth moving Whitehead back though if Davis went down. LB has some depth and is really solid now.

CB2 and nickel CB are deep. Lawson is solid starter with Tabor behind him. Diggs, Hayden and Agnew are deep nickel, especially if you compare to the nickel depth any other year for Detroit (talking Asa Jackson, 2014 lack of nickel depth, Jacob Lacy 2012 etc). Slay cannot get hurt for long as CB1 depth lacks. However, Lions are better equipped to handle a Slay injury in 2017 than they were in 2016.

Safety has depth with Killebrew. Three safeties will play a lot. Alex Carter has looked good switching to safety as well. Don Carey grades solid at safety but lacks at nickel CB. Carey experience too. That is good for 4th safety. The safety depth is there.

Take out 3 best defenders on any team and they are toast (other than NE who has a system to fit people). But NE traded Jones in the offseason and Trey Flowers was outshining Collins last year. Butler and Hightower were healthy

Last edited:
I don't understand why guys don't negotiate during the season. In the article, Stafford says he lets his agent and the front office deal with it. Is it that difficult to sign a contract when your agent says that you got a good deal in place?

Especially since he's a FA afterward. Guarantee if no deal he gets tagged.. What's a QB tag worth? Though there's probably a good chance he's saying that to speed up a deal..

Btw, I heard the agent to L.Bell from Pittsburgh basically accepted a deal but then Bell squashed it.

Last edited:
Especially since he's a FA afterward. Guarantee if no deal he gets tagged.. What's a QB tag worth? Though there's probably a good chance he's saying that to speed up a deal..

Btw, I heard the agent to L.Bell from Pittsburgh basically accepted a deal but then Bell squashed it.

Was Bell high??? lol

If you tell you agent what the bottom line is and he brings you a deal that meets any requirements you set down, what's the problem. If your agent doesn't know what you expect, you need a new agent.

Back