Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fantasy baseball question

Sbee

i get to keep 5 keepers, these are the players I'm considering

Braun (keeping 100%)
Carpenter (same)
Cobb
Butler
Altuve
Bogarets

Xander bogarets is the tough one, i'd have to bump someone out of that top 5 for him. he won't produce a ton in my opinion but he's 21 and will be a solid SS for a long time. i don't know if the upside is worth a keeper pick, he might make it through a few rounds of the draft were altuve and bulter may not.

For me it would depend on how valuable stolen bases are in your league. In my league SB are at a premium, so I would keep Altuve just for that. Butler had an off year, but he is still a 20 HR 100 RBI guy with above average BA - that is tough to come by, although if there are still some 1B available (meaning not all the good ones are "kept"), he would be the one I would drop if Bogarets becomes a must have.

SS is a rough spot for good stats - so his positive WAR will come in handy, but I'm guessing due to his age, he will still be available in about round 5 (assuming 10 roto teams).

All told, I would say keep the top 5 on your list, and watch the early draft for SS, and waste a bit to make sure you lock him up if they start going too fast.

Oh and Cobb is real solid keeper. No question he would be on my list.

Last edited:
For me it would depend on how valuable stolen bases are in your league. In my league SB are at a premium, so I would keep Altuve just for that. Butler had an off year, but he is still a 20 HR 100 RBI guy with above average BA - that is tough to come by, although if there are still some 1B available (meaning not all the good ones are "kept"), he would be the one I would drop if Bogarets becomes a must have.

SS is a rough spot for good stats - so his positive WAR will come in handy, but I'm guessing due to his age, he will still be available in about round 5 (assuming 10 roto teams).

All told, I would say keep the top 5 on your list, and watch the early draft for SS, and waste a bit to make sure you lock him up if they start going too fast.

Oh and Cobb is real solid keeper. No question he would be on my list.

thanks, it's 10x10 so i always go for higher OBP/SLG guys and don't worry too much about one stat like steals or K's. that's why a guy like Carpenter is a must keep because he helps with walks, doubles, etc.

That's why Bogarets is tough, i could end up kicking myself for years if i don't keep him. I'm considering letting Altuve go, he's a better 5x5 guy anyway, then slotting Carpenter at 2b where he's still eligible and Bogarets at SS, the pick up a 3b in the draft.

Have to agree 10X10 would devalue Altuve.

Also, I believe what you say is sound thinking, as 3B is not the black hole that it used to be for reasonable stats. I would expect if there are more than 1 15 homer 75 RBI 3B available (expecting those would not be keepers), that is sound way to go.

If there are a number of 3B keepers already - Dominguez, and Middlebrooks (he won't be as bad as last year), will still be available in the lower rounds. They both have some reasonable upside if the horrible happens, and you get shut out of 3B depth due to keeping Bogarets, and slotting Carpenter at 2B.

Last edited:
Have to agree 10X10 would devalue Altuve.

Also, I believe what you say is sound thinking, as 3B is not the black hole that it used to be for reasonable stats. I would expect if there are more than 1 15 homer 75 RBI 3B available (expecting those would not be keepers), that is sound way to go.

If there are a number of 3B keepers already - Dominguez, and Middlebrooks (he won't be as bad as last year), will still be available in the lower rounds. They both have some reasonable upside if the horrible happens, and you get shut out of 3B depth due to keeping Bogarets, and slotting Carpenter at 2B.

Keepers need to be in next week, I'm hoping Jason Donaldson is available for 3b, i'd jump all over that pick if i get the chance. very consistent performer at every level of the organization.

given positional scarcity i'd be happy with Carpenter/Bogarets up the middle.

thanks for the info, i like your reasoning and it confirms what i'm thinking about this along with Cobb/Butler.

Bogaerts - Should be on your keeper list. The guy has hit at every level thrown at him. No reason for him to stop now.

He has decent speed, hits for AVG, has great OBP, has a lot of power , gets a ton of doubles, he had 6 Triples in 259 AB's at AA por last year. OPS is in the .822 to .900 range. You gotta keep him

Bogaerts - Should be on your keeper list. The guy has hit at every level thrown at him. No reason for him to stop now.

He has decent speed, hits for AVG, has great OBP, has a lot of power , gets a ton of doubles, he had 6 Triples in 259 AB's at AA por last year. OPS is in the .822 to .900 range. You gotta keep him

kept him, had the draft tonight. i need to get some higher ranked guys as keepers, had a lot of guys flame out over the years.

Back