Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL Draft Thread 2017

inkfreq

Pick by pick discussion of the draft starting tonight. It kicks off with Cleveland taking Trubisky or Garrett... or a punter. Hard to say with the Brownies.

NO SPOILERS. IF TWITTER GETS THE PICK EARLY, DO NOT POST IT HERE UNTIL GOODELL OPENS HIS BIG MOUTH AND SAYS IT FIRST OR MONSTER WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND BITE YOUR DAMNED DOG, AND I WILL HELP HIM, YA DIG!?!

Last edited:
NFL Draft schedule
Thursday, April 27, 2017
Rounds: 1
Start time: 8 p.m. ET
Time per pick: 10 minutes
TV: ESPN/NFL Network

Friday, April 28, 2017
Rounds: 2-3
Start time: 7 p.m. ET
Time per pick: 7 minutes in 2nd round, 5 minutes in 3rd round
TV: NFL Network/ESPN?Moves to ESPN2 at 8 p.m. ET

Saturday, April 29, 2017
Rounds: 4-7
Start time: 12 p.m ET
Time per pick: 5 minutes for Rounds 4-6, 4 minutes for Round 7.
TV: NFL Network/ESPN

2017 Detroit Lions draft picks
Round 1, Pick 21 (21 overall)
Round 2, Pick 21 (53 overall)
Round 3, Pick 21 (85 overall)
Round 4, Pick 20 (128 overall)
Round 5, Pick 21 (165 overall)
Round 6, Pick 21 (205 overall)
Round 6, Pick 31 (215 overall) - Via Patriots from Kyle Van Noy trade
Round 7, Pick 32 (250 overall) - Via Patriots from Michael Williams trade

I just want to tay that while I understand scouts view David Njoku as the next big thing at TE, I am going to be so disappointed if he's a Lion at #21. I don't hate the guy or anything, there's just about 15-20 players I would want in the first round before him.

I just want to tay that while I understand scouts view David Njoku as the next big thing at TE, I am going to be so disappointed if he's a Lion at #21. I don't hate the guy or anything, there's just about 15-20 players I would want in the first round before him.

Agreed. It is basically the only pick (other than QB) that doesn't make the Lions better in the short term. If they aren't picking up Ebron's 5th year option, then it makes some sense long term, but still it's a lateral move at best, probably a little worse since he is a rookie TE and not as good as Ebron in year 4 and 5.

He would need to be better than Ebron by a lot to justify it. Ebron was good this year and is still improving.

No Spoilers! If Twitter gets the pick before it is announced, please do not spoil it for anyone!

Ink, edit your first post with a no spoilers notice.

This.

And I'm still confused as to why so many people want us to take a DE with our first pick? I feel like that position is fine for now. We need help in other places and no available DE will be good enough to start over what we have.

This.

And I'm still confused as to why so many people want us to take a DE with our first pick? I feel like that position is fine for now. We need help in other places and no available DE will be good enough to start over what we have.

I disagree. If the right guy is there, DE is a viable pick. Not the pick I want, but viable. I'd rather see a LB or a CB in round 1. Or a S if the right guy is there.

I disagree. If the right guy is there, DE is a viable pick. Not the pick I want, but viable. I'd rather see a LB or a CB in round 1. Or a S if the right guy is there.

ya, i dont want any DE.....i just want Barnett who i think would be an immediate upgrade. Mckinnley or Harris id be mildly dissappointed in and it would feel like a reach for a need when there are more important needs.

That said i never really liked the value of going LB early....but i think reddick could be awesome at OLB.

CB, theres so many 1st rd talents that you really need to fall in love with a certain guy and they all have their faults at 21. King, late riser mainly because Sidney Jones was hurt? Adoree Jackson is small. Tre Davious White was always supposed to be more than he is....prohjected to be a top 15 pick last year but stayed in college when he realized his stock was falling. His stock never really went back up but hes an athletic freak and tall.

ya, i dont want any DE.....i just want Barnett who i think would be an immediate upgrade. Mckinnley or Harris id be mildly dissappointed in and it would feel like a reach for a need when there are more important needs.

That said i never really liked the value of going LB early....but i think reddick could be awesome at OLB.

CB, theres so many 1st rd talents that you really need to fall in love with a certain guy and they all have their faults at 21. King, late riser mainly because Sidney Jones was hurt? Adoree Jackson is small. Tre Davious White was always supposed to be more than he is....prohjected to be a top 15 pick last year but stayed in college when he realized his stock was falling. His stock never really went back up but hes an athletic freak and tall.

I like King because he's huge for a CB, but you're right, there are so many good options, you really have to fall in love with a guy to go get him that early.

One thing is for sure, if you want to improve your defense via the draft, 2017 is the year to do it.

Anybody watching NFL network? Wow. The red carpet show is on and Kay Adams looks in-fucking-credible. She's always looked cute, but wow. She's my first round pick!

https://youtu.be/5lhQeCI2-Ps

Tuning in as soon as my wife's TV show is over. I get the TV the rest of the night, so the least I can do is miss the first few minutes of pre-draft so she can finish her episode of whatever the hell crap that is not football she watches.

I can't even begin to tell ya how excited i am , i feel almost anyone we take is gonna be an instant starter and big time help ( just please no TE !!

Last edited:
It's a draft loaded with talent. There's an upside and a downside to that.

On the upside, pretty much anyone we take makes this team better.

On the downside, pretty much anyone any other team takes makes their team that much better.

Not to be "unpatriotic"... but we have to sing the National Anthem before the damned draft now too? A few more years and I'll have to sing it before I take a deuce.

Its such a tease , they should at least do the first 2 rounds on the first day

I know. I miss the old two day system. Teams with multiple picks in the first round will be happy, but personally, I find rounds 2-5 to be much more entertaining.

Back