Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Roger Ailes

Jeb might have accomplished the same end by going back in time and killing his own great-grandfather.

Could be.

Who knows how much better or how much worse The world would be if Jeb Bush were only able to travel through time?

You do not have the capacity to possibly know what the overall impact that any individual person has or does not have on the world. That you think you do is hubris concentrated in a one-ounce bottle. That goes for Hitler as much as it does for Ailes or the most benign, non-descript person who ever lived.

yeah, I'm really going out on a limb here by saying Roger Ailes was a bad guy. I can only imagine how much worse the world would be if it wasn't for him getting Richard Nixon elected president and running Fox News from 1995 to 2017.

But ... let's say you can, I mean, you have the crystal ball: Why then, wait for them to die? If the world would be better off without people like these, let's just kill 'em all now. Make the world a better place, I say, one objectionable person at a time.

I think this is a bit of a stretch. being happy someone is dead =/= wanting to kill them. And also entirely inconsistent with my opposition to the death penalty.

they should all be in jail though.

yeah, I'm really going out on a limb here by saying Roger Ailes was a bad guy. I can only imagine how much worse the world would be if it wasn't for him getting Richard Nixon elected president and running Fox News from 1995 to 2017.

This is correct. But the succession of the time continuum cannot only hold Ailes responsible for Nixon in 1968. Joe Kennedy and the Mafia have a hand in that. So does Eisenhower, who never wanted to be president. And "bad guys" have souls just like you and I. That's why we are commanded to "love our enemies."

I think this is a bit of a stretch. being happy someone is dead =/= wanting to kill them. And also entirely inconsistent with my opposition to the death penalty.

they should all be in jail though.

We should all be in jail.

I'm not really sure how much impact Ailes really had in getting Nixon elected nor whether Fox News has ever really been much more than a bogeyman for the left.

I don't know that Ailes did anything to get Nixon the Republican nomination in 1968 - Reagan, Rockefeller and one other name candidate went into the convention with delegates also, but Nixon was certainly the most "establishment" Republican in the nomination process that year; having been a Senator and then Vice President for eight years and narrowly losing to Kennedy as the candidate in 1960.

In the general election, Vice President Humphrey, not possessing a particularly charismatic nor visionary personality, ran representing an administration that had become very unpopular - so unpopular that LBJ withdrew from the nominating process after an unimpressive showing in the New Hampshire primary.

Probably George Wallace, who siphoned off a lot the still Democratic Dixiecrat vote and won some electoral votes that likely would have gone to Humphrey, and Sirhan Sirhan were more influential in Nixon's election that Roger Ailes was.

Republicans won three presidential elections in a row - '80, '84 and '88 - before there was Fox News, and gained a majority in Congress in '94 for the first time in generations two years before Fox News was launched.

I never saw Fox News as much more than an echo chamber for people who were gonna be conservatives anyway, and also an Infomercial for "American Idol" and other Fox Broadcast network properties.

Ailes made himself and some other people a lot of money, but his influence on the political landscape is I would say vastly over rated by many people.

Good read: Roger Ailes Was One of the Worst Americans Ever
Ailes was the Christopher Columbus of hate. When the former daytime TV executive and political strategist looked across the American continent, he saw money laying around in giant piles. He knew all that was needed to pick it up was a) the total abandonment of any sense of decency or civic duty in the news business, and b) the factory-like production of news stories that spoke to Americans' worst fantasies about each other.

Like many con artists, he reflexively targeted the elderly ? "I created a TV network for people from 55 to dead," he told Joan Walsh ? where he saw billions could be made mining terrifying storylines about the collapse of the simpler America such viewers remembered, correctly or (more often) incorrectly, from their childhoods​

I'm glad he's dead. Fuck him!

Last edited by a moderator:
my list is pretty damn long.

I had a stepdad during the years from 4th-11th grade, who died a couple years ago.

I didn't feel sad at all and was actually sort of glad to hear it. He was a fucking abusive asshole ...especially towards his son. And he was a priest.

I wonder if he's in Hell...?

Last edited:
I hope Ailes gets reincarnated as a woman in Saudi Arabia

Back