Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lover, Hater or Agnostic?

jwlcosu

When it comes to The Beatles.

I've always been agnostic, meaning I could take them or leave them. Not long ago, however, I attended a Scott Freiman lecture at the Cleveland Museum of Art and it completely transformed my take on The Fab Four.

http://www.beatleslectures.com/thetrailer

If you ever have an opportunity, catch Scott Freiman in person.

In the meantime, I'm now a Lover. How about you?

Cleveland Museum of Art, by the way, is world class. Shocking but true.

Why would you need to hear someone else's opinion of them to change your own?

Simply listening to them and determining if you like the sound of their music or not should be all you need to make up your mind.

Why would you need to hear someone else's opinion of them to change your own?

Simply listening to them and determining if you like the sound of their music or not should be all you need to make up your mind.

That's what I had done, of course, but the Freiman lecture made me realize there was a lot more going on than the simple sound.

I'm a Beatles fan.

they were pretty great.

kudos to you jwlcosu, for putting down the remote, shutting off Fox News, and going outside to experience a little culture. Maybe there is hope for you yet.

I am not surprised Cleveland has a good art museum. It was an industrial powerhouse for a long time, and there was a lot of wealth accumulated there. Rockefeller was a Clevelander for a long stretch early in his career. The one silver lining of massive wealth inequality (though not always) is that local wealth translates into better libraries museums & the money to purchase more art and exhibitions. at least it did.

you don't typically see the latest batch of robber barons putting money into that sort of thing as much.

Toledo also has a very good art museum. My parents took me there to see an exhition there. that was 20 years ago. i checked their website and it looks like they still host an impressive collection (for a city that size) and traveling exhibits.

Beatles fan here. Started off as pretty much a cover band to the band that everybody copied.

I know people for whom it's one or the other.

I can see that; people in Ohio are some real weirdos.

No one else is like that anywhere else across the universe; One could not find anyone else like that outside of the state of Ohio, no matter how long and winding road traversed.

I would never have thought you can't be fans of both. If it happens it's purely incidental.

I would never have thought you can't be fans of both. If it happens it's purely incidental.

Beatles and Stones fans tend to be fans of that era. Their fans of both generally along with Eric Clapton and David Bowie and the likes of them.

I can see that; people in Ohio are some real weirdos.

No one else is like that anywhere else across the universe; One could not find anyone else like that outside of the state of Ohio, no matter how long and winding road traversed.

Come on now. This is about the Beatles, not the Buckeyes. Don't make me go there.

Come on now. This is about the Beatles, not the Buckeyes. Don't make me go there.

I was goofing you, that sad as I said in a previous post fans tend to be fans of that era; actually it's more specifically a genre or a sub genre, the British Invasion.

Fans of any of those individuals or groups in the British invasion tend to be fans of the British invasion in its entirety.

I was in a bar here in virginia a couple weeks ago and someone asked me if I was a beatles or stones fan, "because you're either one or the other." I just stood there for a second with a confused look on my face and then walked away. So there are retards in Virginia as well as Ohio.

I was in a bar here in virginia a couple weeks ago and someone asked me if I was a beatles or stones fan, "because you're either one or the other." I just stood there for a second with a confused look on my face and then walked away. So there are retards in Virginia as well as Ohio.

Well that guy in Virginia was probably originally from Ohio.

Well I'm a huge fan of the entire British Invasion-It was the musical cultural phenomenon at the point in my life when I was becoming aware of such things-so I think about the implications of things such as the situation that you described.

Back