Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford's next!!!

Tonyballs2

Carr just cashed out....

Come on down, Matt Stafford!!! Cha-ching $$$$$$:rush:

Last edited:
The money is getting crazy. To think Stafford will easily make over 250 million by the time he is 35. Good time to be a NFL QB or an Agent.

The money is getting crazy. To think Stafford will easily make over 250 million by the time he is 35. Good time to be a NFL QB or an Agent.

He'll be the highest paid qb in history....and we consistently get top 20 production. Have to pay him though...

What's scary is someone like Winston, Mariota, or Prescot could top 30 million when their contract is up.

Last edited:
In yards maybe. Just not in anything that matters.

And you're gonna have to deal with it another 5 years, lol. I don't think I'd stick around here talking football if my football team stuck with a qb I hated for 14+ years. I'd just go away eventually

The kid has put this team on his back. One yr he's had a defense. He's a gamer and our QB for the next 6 yrs lol. All aboard......:rush:

Last edited:

The kid has put this team on his back. One yr he's had a defense. He's a gamer and our QB for the next 6 yrs lol. All aboard......:rush:

Come on. Past 4 years the defense on average has out performed the offense.

Scoring Defense rank: 13th
Scoring Offense Rank: 18th

Yards are Stafford leading first down after first down without run game support. Lions always top 10 in 3rd down conversions too other than 2014.

2015 he was top 10 rating and TDS. 2013 6th in TDs. 2011 as well with 41 TDs and top 5 rating. 13th in 2016 QB rating despite a major injury (one quarter of the season) and would have been top 5 if not for that injury. Had a 100.7 rating before that injury. Stafford clearly a top 10 production QB the last two years.

14th in TDs in 2016, top 10 if not hurt. 7th in 2015. 14th in 2014 with no protection or run game and 6th in 2013, 19th 2012, 3rd in 2011.

Saying the words top 20 is a slap in the face.

2012/2013 had no weapon or defensive support (no turnovers forced). Still average run game YPC but low carries in 2012 and was 22nd in 2013 despite Bush/Bell doing well. Lions had a lot of fumbles in 2012/2013 that weren't on Stafford at all. Plus so many drops.

2014 no protection or run game. in a Lombardi offense. Made plays for 11 wins though.

And oh so many drops. Always near league lead in drops except 2015 (his most accurate season, surprise surprise in upper 60%)

2012-2014 mid 80s rating Stafford is long gone. 2015/2016 Stafford has been really good with Caldwell and Cooter's help

Qb rating is a team stat as far as I'm concerned. How did he throw 41 TDs in 2011. 4.3 YPC, 34 turnovers from the defense to give him short fields, protection and healthy weapons with Calvin in his prime (other than Best)

Stafford is clearly a top 10 QB and can be a top 5 QB with the proper support

Last edited:

Defense kept the scoring down and there is potential there. But the way a defense helps a QB is to get off the field quickly (Lions more bend but don't break last two years) and force turnovers for short fields (they don't force many turnovers). Stafford does not get the turnovers for short fields compared to most top 10 QBs and that is how you rack up the easier TDs.

Stafford is the reason the offense is good. Run game most years, protection last 3 years, longer fields needed to score almost every year (2011/2014 turnovers were decent and guess what they won double digit games both years), drops are the reasons the offense doesn't produce. Stafford is never the reason the offense doesn't produce

Last edited:
The last two years
Rodgers has 49 drives start in opponents territory last 2 seasons
Brady 45 drives
Stafford only drives

Difference of 29 and 25 drives

I wonder why Rodgers has 15 more TDs than Stafford and Brady has more 8 TDs than Stafford. Is it because they are better. No. It's because their defense forces turnovers at the right time

Stafford started playing at a much higher level finally. Lets not pretend like he was always at this level. Last year was similar to prior years in terms of team around him. He performed much better than he ever had.

If you think Stafford was as good in 2016 as he was in 2014/2015, well I don't know how you can defend that. I'm not sure how anyone can watch Staff in 2016 then go and watch him in 2014 and be like, yeah, that's about the same quality of play from the QB.

Now we just have to hope that the second half was because of mostly injury to the hand and not the typical good half the year Stafford trend. At least his better is getting better and his worse is getting better.

Stafford started playing at a much higher level finally. Lets not pretend like he was always at this level. Last year was similar to prior years in terms of team around him. He performed much better than he ever had.

If you think Stafford was as good in 2016 as he was in 2014/2015, well I don't know how you can defend that. I'm not sure how anyone can watch Staff in 2016 then go and watch him in 2014 and be like, yeah, that's about the same quality of play from the QB.

Now we just have to hope that the second half was because of mostly injury to the hand and not the typical good half the year Stafford trend. At least his better is getting better and his worse is getting better.

Stafford has improved in 2015 and 2016 under Cooter. His 44 TDs and 14 ints with Cooter show that in 25 games. (28 TD and 9 int average)

But when he struggled in the mid 80s ratings (2012, second half 2013, 2014 and first half 2015) it usually a lot of other things on the team causing that. QB rating is very much a team thing. He has always been a good QB. He's never a been mediocre QB. He may have had mediocre production but that is because of the team (or injuries) dragging him down.

It's all about plethora of weapons, short fields, weapons and RBs avoiding fumbles/running bad routes for ints, drops, protection, run game support (more yards does help QBs as they have to do less on drives but still get scoring chances). The elite QBs get a lot of help, a lot of short fields and have most things around them go right (not everything). Stafford doesn't need everything but needs most things.

Short fields (25+), 1700 yards rushing at least, high 20% protection instead of mid 30% pressure allowed, plethora of weapons that either protect the football or don't have high drops. Give the guy something. We have that potential on the roster and then they get hurt. Sometimes we didn't have that potential (weapons 2012/2013 were bad), Oline 2014/2015 was average at best

The 2017 squad should be able to give him most of those things. Run game healthy with improved Oline, improved protection even with Decker injury (but as you can see this is the start of something going awry for his support), 25+ short fields (this is huge, it makes Stafford's life so much easier)

Lions had 35 yards per drive on offense. Packers had 36. Why did Rodgers have 16 more TDs (40 to 24). Could it have been the 17 more short fields, the few drop % (28 drops for Stafford, 13 only for Rodgers) and the 300 more rushing yards, the 10% better protection. You bet it was.

Last edited:

Outperformed?? Give me a break lol. This defense has been a fkn joke under Srafford minus like ONE year...

i would say hes more efficient....not necessarily better. When your dink and dunk pass game leads to so many 3 n outs its puts the defense in a bad spot. Weve had zero deep threat passing game the last 3-4 seasons. So we have a qb with a HUGE arm that throws the ball like 5 yards all game lol. You should be more efficient when your taking less risk. You also score less, and have horrible field position most of the game.....which is LKPs point. So while i agree with you LKP....he has had those things to deal with....i believe its a product of the offense he runs. Not the defenses fault.

i would say hes more efficient....not necessarily better. When your dink and dunk pass game leads to so many 3 n outs its puts the defense in a bad spot. Weve had zero deep threat passing game the last 3-4 seasons. So we have a qb with a HUGE arm that throws the ball like 5 yards all game lol. You should be more efficient when your taking less risk. You also score less, and have horrible field position most of the game.....which is LKPs point. So while i agree with you LKP....he has had those things to deal with....i believe its a product of the offense he runs. Not the defenses fault.

It is not a product of the offense. Lions have a good offense with a good QB. Green Bay had 36 yards per drive. Detroit had 35. Green Bay had 17 shorter fields, 300 more rushing yards, 7-8% more protection for Rodgers and 15 less drops. That is the difference between 40 TDs for Rodgers and only 24 for Stafford.

Also Detroit had 20 less offensive drives than Green Bay because Detroit couldn't get off the field on defense due to 3 of 4 best defensive players hurt a lot last year. Rodgers literally had 20 more chances to score last year.

Both GB and Detroit had 33 3 and outs in 2016 (this is tied for 6th least in the league)

Lions defensive injuries and running back injuries and Stafford's injury screwed them last year. And they still made the playoffs due to Stafford, the weapons, Prater and the coaching keeping it to the 13th PPG allowed on defense. And this is despite the refs causing 4 questionable losses in 4 close games as well. Lions 8-5 in close games. GB had a better winning percentage in close games.

Last edited:
Stafford started playing at a much higher level finally. .

He has? Other QB's have too.. Which is why he was 13th in passing rating this pass season.. 90+ rating is not top of the top anymore.. 17 QB finished above 90, with 5 above 100. Matt is a fine QB, meaning I wouldn't toss him away.. But that's it.

He's a safe passer, short and sweet. It works for him, and the Detroit Lions. He's going to get paid that's the way of the NFL but I'm not looking forward to him get getting paid as top dog.

He has? Other QB's have too.. Which is why he was 13th in passing rating this pass season.. 90+ rating is not top of the top anymore.. 17 QB finished above 90, with 5 above 100. Matt is a fine QB, meaning I wouldn't toss him away.. But that's it.

He's a safe passer, short and sweet. It works for him, and the Detroit Lions. He's going to get paid that's the way of the NFL but I'm not looking forward to him get getting paid as top dog.

Nobody cares about the other QBs. Stafford has finally shut the critics up. Well, the smart ones anyways...

Yeah Stafford ended up at low 90s. But he was 100.4 before the injury. This is despite less support than most QBs receive. No run game, no short fields, no protection and lots of drops.

291/433 3,224 yards 21 TDs and 5 ints in 12 games. It was a 28 TD and 6.666 (round to 7) int pace

Half of his 10 ints were in the four injured games

He's a top 5 QB.

And the Cowboys had 1,100 yards more rushing than Detroit. Detroit had 1,300 total. they almost doubled us. Dak is just lucky

Last edited:
Back