Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

5 games out on 7-19 , can we win it ??

I'm actually curious about what free agents we go after.. Trying to save money can they get those middling (somewhat cheap) that can actually play. Or are we sticking with what we have..

If the Tigers' brass does not even dig into the FA SP/RP bargain-bin during the offseason, then the '18 Tigers will be a lock for losing 100+ games next season.

Updated race to the #1 pick in the '18 draft:

Team------Record----GA----GR----STRK----L10

sux............63-92......2.5.....7........W1.......5-5

Tigers........62-94.......1.......6........L7........2-8

fillys..........62-94.......1.......6........W1.......5-5

gnats.........61-95.......--......6.........L1.......4-6

Tigers now tied for 2nd worst record in MLB with fillys.

Funny how this thread began with Tigers' chances of winning the ALCD title, then waay down to getting the #1 MLB draft pick in just 2 months.

Last edited:
If the Tigers' brass does not even dig into the FA SP/RP bargain-bin during the offseason, then the '18 Tigers will be a lock for losing 100+ games next season.

It would make no sense in spending on FA SP/RP after the fire sell they had this season. Like it or not, we are stuck. Aside from Fulmer, I do not see any real bright spots for pitching in 2018. Shane Greene? How do we know 2017 wasn't a fluke? There is nothing in his peripherals suggesting any kind of improvement. In fact, he had/has a career high in walk rate. Neither Boyd nor Norris took a step forward, both took a step back.

Additionally, we will have one tremendously awful defensive outfield, which isn't going to help any pitcher, current or FA.

1. Fulmer (24)
2. Boyd (26)
3. Norris (24)
4. Zimmermann (31)
5. Farmer (26) or Lewicki (25)

Now that Ausmus in gone, and presumably Rich Dubee, we might see improvement. Having a better manager and a pitching coach who knows how to handle young players is key. Going back to internal candidates (McClendon, Lamont) would kill their development. Putting fast/good lateral movement Outfielders out there would help as well, but that isn't going to happen unless they kind trade Castellanos and/or Stewart for some more outfield depth.

It would make no sense in spending on FA SP/RP after the fire sell they had this season. Like it or not, we are stuck. Aside from Fulmer, I do not see any real bright spots for pitching in 2018. Shane Greene? How do we know 2017 wasn't a fluke? There is nothing in his peripherals suggesting any kind of improvement. In fact, he had/has a career high in walk rate. Neither Boyd nor Norris took a step forward, both took a step back.

Additionally, we will have one tremendously awful defensive outfield, which isn't going to help any pitcher, current or FA.

1. Fulmer (24)
2. Boyd (26)
3. Norris (24)
4. Zimmermann (31)
5. Farmer (26) or Lewicki (25)

Now that Ausmus in gone, and presumably Rich Dubee, we might see improvement. Having a better manager and a pitching coach who knows how to handle young players is key. Going back to internal candidates (McClendon, Lamont) would kill their development. Putting fast/good lateral movement Outfielders out there would help as well, but that isn't going to happen unless they kind trade Castellanos and/or Stewart for some more outfield depth.

I think you can still get guys. No one expensive but 3-4m. We can't go into next season with this BP.

I

Now that we know what Miggy's MRI results are, he will need to become the Tigers DH, sooner rather than later. But Martinez will be back, barring his heeding any doctors' orders/warnings about his heart condition, and retiring.

Tigers will try to trade Kinsler, but @ his age and declining skills likely won't fetch much, if anything. Same with any other Tigers player returning any player of value, except maybe Fulmer.

So if the Tigers ownership/brass really does not care about how bad the '18 Tigers team will be after the horrific debacle of this month, then what they do or don't do during this coming offseason will obviously give the fans a very good idea of just how bad that they plan on allowing next season to become.

Now that we know what Miggy's MRI results are, he will need to become the Tigers DH, sooner rather than later. But Martinez will be back, barring his heeding any doctors' orders/warnings about his heart condition, and retiring.

Tigers will try to trade Kinsler, but @ his age and declining skills likely won't fetch much, if anything. Same with any other Tigers player returning any player of value, except maybe Fulmer.

So if the Tigers ownership/brass really does not care about how bad the '18 Tigers team will be after the horrific debacle of this month, then what they do or don't do during this coming offseason will obviously give the fans a very good idea of just how bad that they plan on allowing next season to become.

You know why people don't go to games or watch on television? It's not the 70-92 seasons, it's the 60-102 seasons or worse. No one wants to see a laughing stock out there.. Saving money is great, rebuild fine - but if the pitching staff today is next year I think it does more harm in the long run. They save 28m from JV x 2, a Ton from JUP, get rid of Sanchez for cheap and didn't have to resign JD. I think they can afford to add some payroll.. They need some guys in the BP.

You know why people don't go to games or watch on television? It's not the 70-92 seasons, it's the 60-102 seasons or worse. No one wants to see a laughing stock out there.. Saving money is great, rebuild fine - but if the pitching staff today is next year I think it does more harm in the long run. They save 28m from JV x 2, a Ton from JUP, get rid of Sanchez for cheap and didn't have to resign JD. I think they can afford to add some payroll.. They need some guys in the BP.

For some MLB franchises, its hard to get back the fanbase lost due to years of neglect and 100+ loss seasons. Plus the fact that they need to continually attract new fans to replace the elderly and deceased fanbases. The Tigers fielding @ least a somewhat competitive team in '18 and '19 would be prudent, but we shall soon see if they will during FA and the winter meetings <3 months from now.

They are fortunate to be in the ALCD, with 3 rivals who turn their rosters over frequently when their star players begin to get more expensive.

For some MLB franchises, its hard to get back the fanbase lost due to years of neglect and 100+ loss seasons. Plus the fact that they need to continually attract new fans to replace the elderly and deceased fanbases. The Tigers fielding @ least a somewhat competitive team in '18 and '19 would be prudent, but we shall soon see if they will during FA and the winter meetings <3 months from now.

They are fortunate to be in the ALCD, with 3 rivals who turn their rosters over frequently when their star players begin to get more expensive.

I've been saying it forever that baseball is not a young person sport .. Part of that is the way free agency works and very few stay for the duration. Can you imagine being 8 or 9 with your favorite player's poster on your wall and rooting for your team and suddenly that player is gone?

I've been saying it forever that baseball is not a young person sport .. Part of that is the way free agency works and very few stay for the duration. Can you imagine being 8 or 9 with your favorite player's poster on your wall and rooting for your team and suddenly that player is gone?

every sport is like that now

NFL might be the sport where the players stay around more often but the players are actually there shorter because the careers are short. The players in the NBA move around as much or more than baseball. I don't know about the NHL because I don't follow it.

sux............63-92......2.5.....7........W1.......5-5

Tigers........62-94.......1.......6........L7........2-8

fillys..........62-94.......1.......6........W1.......5-5

gnats.........61-95.......--......6.........L1.......4-6

Tigers now tied for 2nd worst record in MLB with fillys.

Funny how this thread began with Tigers' chances of winning the ALCD title, then waay down to getting the #1 MLB draft pick in just 2 months.

Tank , tank, tank

NFL might be the sport where the players stay around more often but the players are actually there shorter because the careers are short. The players in the NBA move around as much or more than baseball. I don't know about the NHL because I don't follow it.

I guess that's true at least as FA goes - maybe. But there is still nothing like a trade deadline like baseball.. NFL deadline is early and teams usually don't make trades mid-season - probably because they'd need to learn the playbook. Not sure if NBA players are traded much during the season.. Even so, I suspect with less players than baseball there are less moving pieces.

For example, the Tigers just since July have traded 5 players. I doubt the NBA does that.

I guess that's true at least as FA goes - maybe. But there is still nothing like a trade deadline like baseball.. NFL deadline is early and teams usually don't make trades mid-season - probably because they'd need to learn the playbook. Not sure if NBA players are traded much during the season.. Even so, I suspect with less players than baseball there are less moving pieces.

For example, the Tigers just since July have traded 5 players. I doubt the NBA does that.

yup...baseball has more in season trades than any other sport. That's because baseball has a minor league system.

sux............64-92.......3......6........W2......5-5

Tigers........62-94.......1.......6........L7.......2-8

fillys..........62-95.......0.5....5........L1.......5-5

gnats.........61-95.......--......6........L1.......4-6

sux on the verge of taking themselves out of the running for even #3 pick with another win.

Last 49 games

11-38 .224 WPCT

Quality Starts in these last 49 games

Verlander 4 (3 W)
Sanchez 3 (1 W)
Boyd 1 (1 W)
Fulmer 1
Zimmermann 1

Only 4 Quality starts for the month of Sept and Sanchez has 3 of them.

4-21 .160 WPCT for the month of September

The worst team in modern baseball was the 1916 Athletics with a .235 WPCT.

I cannot wait for 2018.

sux............64-93.......3......5........L1......5-5

fillys..........63-95........1.....4........W1......5-5

Tigers........62-95.......0.5...5........L8.......1-9

gnats.........62-96.......--......4........L1.......5-5

With a loss last night to the royals, and a fillys win over the nats, Tigers move into sole possession of the second-worst record in MLB, with a game on hand over both NL teams.

sux............65-93.......4......4.......W1......5-5

fillys..........64-95........2.....3........W2......6-4

Tigers........62-96.......0.5...4........L9.......1-9

gnats.........62-97.......--.....3........L2.......5-5

Pretty much a 2 horse race to the bottom now btw Tigers & gnats.

Back