Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 105 Tigers vs. yankees August 1, 2017

I almost expected a 2-run single there..

Last edited:
John Hicks hit a three-run home run in his first game back since being recalled from the minor leagues, spoiling CC Sabathia's 500th career start and leading the Detroit Tigers to a 4-3 win over the New York Yankees Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium.

Sabathia, starting for the 40th time against the Tigers, surrendered the home run to Hicks in the second inning on a 3-2 count after a 10-pitch at-bat.

In the third, Justin Upton hit a solo shot to pad the Tigers' lead.

Anibal Sanchez pitched 6 2/3 strong innings, giving up only a two-run home run by Didi Gregorius that landed just inside the foul pole in right.

Shane Greene entered in eighth inning for a five-out save attempt in his first chance since being named Tigers' closer on Monday. He got Matt Holliday to ground into a double play to end the eighth.

Tigers catcher James McCann singled in the fourth inning to extend his hitting streak to a career-long 11 games.
He was called out on a strikes in the sixth inning on a pitch that appeared well outside. McCann had a long conversation at the plate with home plate umpire Mike Estabrook and continued the argument in the next half-inning while he was catching.

Bruce Rondon reached 100 mph when he was called on to finish the seventh inning. He retired the lone batter he faced, Clint Frazier, on a ground-out.

Sanchez who was making his 253rd career start, threw 6 2/3 solid innings, allowing two runs on six hits. He struck out three and walked one.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...684#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491684
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/mlb-central-mahtook-and-greene/c-1675808683?tid=8877502
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win over the yankees.

ROARS:
John Hicks, of course. I mean, come on.

HISSES:
Not many to be had here, offense and defense were both doing their jobs. Pitching was on point. Tigers are looking good still in spite of the missing pieces.

STREAKS & INFO:
Not related to current players, but while we were all watching this game, former Tiger Austin Jackson completed the catch Torii Hunter tried to make on David Ortiz?s grand slam in the 2013 ALCS in Boston. Just... behold:

In actual Tigers news, Justin Upton?s home run is his 18th of the season, so he?s certainly on pace to clear 30 this year.

Apparently, at the ripe old age of 30, Alex Wilson is now the oldest player in the Tigers bullpen.

Yeah but '68 should get you one by it's self. Now I'm thinking of it Willie wasn't in the Hall though his number was retired so maybe that's the criteria.

For '68 then you have to do the same for players in the other World Series Championships, '35, '45, and '84.

Willie grew up and lived in Detroit. A baseball legend at Northwestern High School, and was hitting homeruns in Tiger Stadium as a high schooler in some tourney iirc.

The link you posted said CC had 2800 before tonights game, and Mickey had 2832..

For '68 then you have to do the same for players in the other World Series Championships, '35, '45, and '84.

Willie grew up and lived in Detroit. A baseball legend at Northwestern High School, and was hitting homeruns in Tiger Stadium as a high schooler in some tourney iirc.

Willie was great just pointing out he wasn't in the hall. Willie was my Kaline to you..

Unrelated, but Max hit his first homer tonight and then left the game after 1 inning with a neck spasm.

So the chances of making the postseason after tonight's third win in four games is up to one in 25, and the chances of winning the division are back up to one in 100.

Shane Green has the best stuff on the entire pitching staff. If he could just get better control he could be a beast.

Really? He is probably the best relief pitcher that is left on the Tigers roster and he is entering his first year of arb. My guess is he will be here for a while.

I'm hoping for a breakout season from him next year so we can move him for more prospects at he deadline like we did with Wilson. That'll help the rebuild with more guys like that stepping up.

Really? He is probably the best relief pitcher that is left on the Tigers roster and he is entering his first year of arb. My guess is he will be here for a while.

This

I'm hoping for a breakout season from him next year so we can move him for more prospects at he deadline like we did with Wilson. That'll help the rebuild with more guys like that stepping up.

And/or this. I had such high hopes for him when we got him as a starter. His first 3 or so games were lights out and then the wheels fell off and rolled a few miles away. lol

Last edited:
I think it's an aberration. I know what Green did his first two season's here.. He's almost 29 and I might be wrong but I don't expect him to continue.. Trade him in the off season while his value is high.

I think it's an aberration. I know what Green did his first two season's here.. He's almost 29 and I might be wrong but I don't expect him to continue.. Trade him in the off season while his value is high.

he has the arm. Watch his pitches. He has a 97-98 mph fast ball that moves at least 8" and has other plus pitches. He just walks too many people. I have a hard time just trading away that kind of arm when they have nothing to replace it with....especially when it is a cheap arm.

Back