Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 107 Tigers vs. orioles August 3, 2017

I just hate this bullpen.. amazing with all this money we have spent over the last 10+ years we just cannot build a good pen.

Punch this guy out.

Thank you for swinging at that ball!!!

Need a run or two guys!!!

Last edited:
I just don't understand why Victor can't adjust and hit it the other way just choked up a little bit makes no sense to hit into the shift dang it.

wow , ok then ....pry the first 1,2,3 ninth i can remember in a whle ...goodnight '

Small sample size but Greene looks good as the closer. Throws strikes, challenges hitters, and can bring some gas. Who knows.....

After seven rain-filled hours on Wednesday in New York, the last thing the Detroit Tigers wanted was another long, soggy evening.

But Mother Nature worked to their advantage Thursday night in Baltimore, as the Tigers beat the Orioles 7-5 at Camden Yards.

The Tigers homered twice in the brief, nine-minute window of play before a second deluge of rain.

When play resumed an hour later, the Tigers made swift work of struggling Orioles starter Chris Tillman, who was showered with boos when he left in the third inning.
He faced five batters in the third and they all scored ? a single, two walks, a two-run fielding error by shortstop Tim Beckham and a two-run double to Miguel Cabrera.

Tillman suffered his first loss in 10 career starts against the Tigers, is now 1-7 with an 8.10 ERA in 15 starts in 2017.

After scoring five times in the third inning, the Tigers did not score again, or even threaten, as righty Miguel Castro held them to one hit over five innings.

NOTABLE
The Tigers were poised to knock Tillman out of the game in the second inning after putting the first two runners on base. Tillman went fell behind James McCann 3-0 before working the count to 3-2.
On the next pitch, he was out of the inning.
McCann slapped a sharp grounder to third base. Manny Machado picked the ball cleanly, stepped on third and threw to second baseman Jonathan Schoop, who fired to first to complete the 5-4-3 triple play.

Of Ian Kinsler's 10 home runs the season, five have led off the game, including his shot to left-center on Thursday.
Kinsler now has 45 career lead-off home runs, surpassing former Orioles star Brady Anderson (44) to move into sole possession of sixth place all time.

The first pitch thrown by Tigers long reliever Warwick Saupold was his most important of the night.
Inheriting two runners from starter Matthew Boyd when he entered in the fifth, Saupold got a grounder up the middle that Ian Kinsler and Jose Iglesias turned into a 4-6-3, inning-ending double play.

Right-handed reliever Edward Mujica made his Tigers debut in the seventh inning, retiring all three batters. He allowed a solo home run to Tim Beckham in the eighth, but worked out a jam to deliver a lead to Shane Greene in the ninth.

McCann extended his career-best hitting streak to 13 games with a single in the ninth.

Upton?s home run was a 452-foot shot into the batter?s eye in center field.

?We swung the bats well early and then just kind of hung on,? said manager Brad Ausmus, who earned his 300th managerial win.

?They?re not going away,? manager Brad Ausmus said. ?That was kind of in my gut. I said, ?This game?s not over.??

Boyd, after striking out four batters in the first two innings, came out in the third without the same command or crispness on his pitches.
He walked four, including left-handed hitting Chris Davis twice, gave back two runs in the third and another in the fourth. He was pulled in the fifth after Jones doubled and Schoop walked.
They scored three runs off Boyd, who allowed five hits and four walks in just 4 1/3 innings.

?Command wasn?t great,? Ausmus said. ?Especially when you take the lead, you can?t be walking guys. Early on, I thought he was going to be fine but he seemed to lose command of the ball.?

Perhaps the biggest play of the game came immediately after Boyd was relieved with two men on and one out, when righty Warwick Saupold entered and induced an inning-ending double play against designated hitter Trey Mancini.

But when Shane Greene entered the game, it was over. Greene saved his third game in as many days and the Tigers bent but did not break in a 7-5 win over the Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards.
Strange night. But when it ended, after Greene set down the top of the Orioles order ? Adam Jones, Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop in seven pitches ? the Tigers had their third straight win and fifth in their last six.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...714#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491714
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/statcast-uptons-452-ft-homer/c-1684766183
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win over the orioles.

MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
Warwick to the rescue: After Boyd wobbled and put runners on first and second with one out in the fifth, Tigers manager Brad Ausmus called on his bullpen, inserting Warwick Saupold to face Trey Mancini with Detroit up 7-3. Saupold needed just one pitch to get out of the jam, getting a double-play ball to end the inning.
"I don't want to let any runners score," Saupold said. "And I made a pitch and got out of the inning. I was hoping to go longer, but that wasn't the case. But everything is feeling good right now and I feel like I'm back to my old self."

Three's a crowd: With the O's trailing, 2-0, after a pair of rain delays, Machado started the club's second triple play of the year. Machado fielded James McCann's grounder, touched the third-base bag and threw to second baseman Jonathan Schoop. Schoop pivoted and tossed to first baseman Chris Davis just in front of a hustling McCann.

"I don't know [how many triple plays I've witnessed]," Ausmus said. "I think the last one I saw was Ian Kinsler hit into a triple play a few years ago. It happens, it's part of the game. You know, Machado really is the key to that because he tags the base on the run and makes the perfect kind of three-quarters throw to second base."

ROARS:
Ian Kinsler & Justin Upton: Everyone loves dingers, and they hit two big ones to start the game.

A five run third inning: It came courtesy of a costly error, but it was nice to see the Tigers take advantage of a team?s mistake and go for the kill.

Greene?s elbow ligament: Because no ligament should have to deal with what it?s been through, but it?s handling it like a champ.

HISSES:
Hitting into a triple play.

Matt Boyd: Staked to a big early lead, he was unable to work quickly and efficiently and was eventually lifted in the fifth inning after giving up a double and a walk. He lasted just 4 1⁄3 innings and allowed three earned runs, walked four, and struck out six.

STREAKS AND INFO:
The triple play turned by the Orioles in the second inning was their second triple play of the year. They turned one earlier on May 2nd against the Red Sox.

The last time the Tigers had hit into a triple play was May 23rd 2015 against the Houston Astros.

A single in the ninth innings extended McCann?s hihtting streak to 13 games.

Back