Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Now we just need...

After this weekend anything could happen. I didn't think PSU would lose to Sparty or OSU would lose to Iowa. Both happened! I wouldn't have thought MD would lose to Rutgers. They did. One game at a time.

You must not have even clicked on my link

divisional record is the #2 tiebreaker in a multiteam tie

overall record is the #7 tiebreaker

Michigan lost both of their big ten games to big ten east opponents

MSU and OSU did not

I did click the link. here is what I read:
(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other.

2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared within their division.

3. ...

So MSU, OSU, UM are tied at 6-2.

Divisional record is #2 tiebreaker. But no need to go to that, since Overall Record is #1.

with no non-conference losses, we'd have the best record at 9-2. MSU and OSU would both be 8-3.

no need to go past step 1.

B1KpF6rCMAAR2lA.jpg

This is all fucking stupid. If true that an in-divisional tiebreaker would be a step in the process makes no fucking sense. So the Big10 will handicap their chances for a playoff team by doing that stupid fucking bullshit? So let's say UM wins out, they would be the highest ranked team in the conference with possibly 4 teams tied and wouldn't go to the playoff with best overall record. Genius, I say.

You must not have even clicked on my link

divisional record is the #2 tiebreaker in a multiteam tie

overall record is the #7 tiebreaker

Michigan lost both of their big ten games to big ten east opponents

MSU and OSU did not

overall record is not the #7 tiebreaker:

7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative​

overall winning percentage is not the same thing.

my take would be that if you are all the way down to #7, it's because you have teams that played different numbers of games. So if UM played one more non-conference game, and lost it, it provides a tie-breaker between two teams that are 8-3 overall (0.727) and one that is 9-3 (0.750). The 9-3 team would go.

or #1 should read:

"The head-to-head records of the three tied teams will be compared against each other."

In your scenario, head to head isn't even considered.

Well this is a gigantic long shot for UM to make the B1G championship game. If UM wins out and doesn't get to play for the championship, we will all look back and wonder what might have been if Peters was playing against MSU and not O'Corn.

Probably wouldn't have mattered against PSU, but I believe UM would have beat MSU with peters and his non-5 turnovers. Maybe not, but Ill never be convinced otherwise. That loss is on Harbaugh.

Sorry O'Corn only accounted for 3 turnovers the other 2 were fumbles. Sure seems like he was responsible for more than 3.

Last edited:
Well this is a gigantic long shot for UM to make the B1G championship game. If UM wins out and doesn't get to play for the championship, we will all look back and wonder what might have been if Peters was playing against MSU and not O'Corn.

Probably wouldn't have mattered against PSU, but I believe UM would have beat MSU with peters and his non-5 turnovers. Maybe not, but Ill never be convinced otherwise. That loss is on Harbaugh.

Sorry O'Corn only accounted for 3 turnovers the other 2 were fumbles. Sure seems like he was responsible for more than 3.

The loss was on Harbaugh for not running the ball more like they are doing now...

After this weekend anything could happen. I didn't think PSU would lose to Sparty or OSU would lose to Iowa. Both happened! I wouldn't have thought MD would lose to Rutgers. They did. One game at a time.

Yep. That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take it one game at a time. I'm going to focus my attention on the Maryland game this week and not worry about anything else. that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take it one game at a time. I'm going to focus my attention on the Maryland game this week and not worry about anything else.

EDIT: I don't know my post got duplicated.

Last edited:
Yep. That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take it one game at a time. I'm going to focus my attention on the Maryland game this week and not worry about anything else. that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take it one game at a time. I'm going to focus my attention on the Maryland game this week and not worry about anything else.

EDIT: I don't know my post got duplicated.

It makes smart to focus on Maryland, but don't lose sight of Wisconsin either.

I'd say keep 90% of your focus on Maryland, remaining 10% on Wisconsin.

This is all fucking stupid. If true that an in-divisional tiebreaker would be a step in the process makes no fucking sense. So the Big10 will handicap their chances for a playoff team by doing that stupid fucking bullshit? So let's say UM wins out, they would be the highest ranked team in the conference with possibly 4 teams tied and wouldn't go to the playoff with best overall record. Genius, I say.

So you're saying teams should schedule 3 games against Directional U as to help ensure their entry into the B1G Championship game?

I'm not saying Michigan did that, but why penalize OSU for scheduling Oklahoma? Florida sounded like a tough opponent, but look at them now.

It makes smart to focus on Maryland, but don't lose sight of Wisconsin either.

I'd say keep 90% of your focus on Maryland, remaining 10% on Wisconsin.

If I was going to take 10% of my focus away from the Maryland game, why would I put the whole 10% on Wisconsin?

Why wouldn't I put 7% on Wisconsin and then 3% on the Buckeyes?

Well, according to some fans, the OSU game is all that matter, so maybe we should devote a little more to that game right now!

Last edited:
Well, according to some fans, the OSU game is all that matter, so maybe we should devote a little more to that game right now!

So...are you thinking about 90% to Maryland, 3% to Wisconsin and 7% to OSU?

No, 110% to OSU!!

I mean, who cares about Maryland and Wisconsin?!?!

So you're saying teams should schedule 3 games against Directional U as to help ensure their entry into the B1G Championship game?

I'm not saying Michigan did that, but why penalize OSU for scheduling Oklahoma? Florida sounded like a tough opponent, but look at them now.

No, I'm saying it's dipshit-ish to have a rule that says my 2 losses to East Division opponents is worse than losing to 1 East opponent and 1 West opponent. That is a dumb fucking tie breaker. Everyone has(in our scenario) 2 losses in the conference plain and simple. Next tie breaker should be overall record after head to head.

No, I'm saying it's dipshit-ish to have a rule that says my 2 losses to East Division opponents is worse than losing to 1 East opponent and 1 West opponent. That is a dumb fucking tie breaker. Everyone has(in our scenario) 2 losses in the conference plain and simple. Next tie breaker should be overall record after head to head.

So, then, we go to post #5 from this thread:

So, then we go to the tie breakers.

Now, what two things does almost everyone agree on about tie breakers?

1) No matter what, the formulas are always stupid.

2) They almost never get right.

Last edited:

OK, now I see where you're coming from and I agree.

Back