Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Coach D is quietly putting together another nice class. Chase Kline, high 3 low 4 star 6-4, 225 lb MLB committed today. Character has been a key this class with many of the recruits having Military Academy and/or Ivy league offers. Typical class, a hand full of 4 stars and a bunch of high 3 stars, with a couple under the radar guys mixed in. Considering the off season, this class is really good so far.

3 recruits really are severely underrated to me. Our top recruit Trenton Gillison, 4 star TE from OH. He's the top TE we've brought in since Sims, and he's one of the top few TEs in the country this year, he's 6-5, 225 and runs in the 4.5 range, has huge and sure hands. He's outperformed every tight end he's camped with this summer including some top 50 guys. Theo Day is the same, he's been the best passer at camp after camp and has one of the strongest arms in the country. At 6-5, 225lbs with an NFL arm and being a 4.0 student who is a + athlete, Day is the best player in the state and if he had not committed early his ranking would probably be pushing for a 5th star. WR/QB Javez Alexander is going to have his ranking blow up this Fall, he's a 2 star recruit right now, but is an elite athlete who has some serious wheels. Some MSU writers think he will push for 4 stars this Fall.

I see us going back to our proven formula in this class, and that's recruiting hard workers with character who love football. The 2015 class was a strange one, it was a top 20 class, but ended up having several poor character kids. You never know, but I think Coach D is not taking anymore chances.

2019 4 star OT, Spencer Brown from Walled Lake, MI commits. 6-6, 295 lbs and has been all green for a while now.

We really sit pretty well with some of the best 2019 in state guys. I think we land 4 star RB Jaren Mangham and 4 star S Lance Dixon. And we have a shot at 4 star DB Julian Barnett and 5 star OT Devontae Dobbs as both are from Bellville and have visited MSU 10+ times. 4 star DT Mazi Smith is between us and ND.

Last edited:
Big recruiting weekend vs ND this weekend.

High 4 star RB Harold Joiner will be on an official.
4 star Cinci DT de-commit Malik Vann will be up.

Really, about 25 of our top targets for the next 2 classes.

Joiner says we lead, but he's a long shot and will end up in the SEC or at Clemson. Vann is one of my favorite players in the bunch, he's an absolute monster, just is 3 inches too short or he'd be a 5 star.

2019 instate 4 star QB, Dwan Mathis commits. Love this kid, 6-5, 200 lbs and is a fantastic athlete. Might not play QB in college, could play WR.

Hmm. 2019 5 star OT Devontae Dobbs is trending to MSU. Could be an early commit soon. He and Matthis are friends, but I think he's been high on us for a while. Between us and Ohio State IMO.

Probably the top O Line recruit to come out of the state in more than a decade.

Last edited:
The 2018 Class should grow this weekend.

4 star OT from GA, Jame Ohonba, 6-5, 345 lbs may commit to us today. Offers from Clemson, Bama, Auburn, Goergia, LSU, Ohio State, ND, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Michigan, USC etc.
3 star RB, Elijah Collins is committing today and it's between WI and us.
3 star OG from NV, Jacob Isaia is visiting this weekend and his grandpa is an honorary captain for the Iowa game, probably not this weekend, but he should join the class, dad played at UCLA though and he likes them too.

Last edited:
3 star center 6-3, 280lb Jacob Isaia commits. Grandson of Spartan great Bob Apisa.

Kid has 20+ offers. Was named top O lineman at some camps this summer. Also, good to get a kid from NV powerhouse high school Bishop Gorman.

Last edited:
4 star Texas WR visited this weekend. He was a Baylor lean, but now it's wide open and we got an official. Sure probably didn't hurt that we have a 6-4 WR who went off against Penn State. Bush is a stud, he's 6-5, 195 lbs and runs a 4.41 forty.

La’Darius Jefferson from here in Muskegon just decommitted from UCF. Picked up an MSU offer late last week. I’m betting he commits soon. Plays QB for the Big Reds, but offered as an athlete.

La?Darius Jefferson from here in Muskegon just decommitted from UCF. Picked up an MSU offer late last week. I?m betting he commits soon. Plays QB for the Big Reds, but offered as an athlete.

Yeah, he's all Green. Talked about crying when he got his MSU offer. Has good size at 6-2, 220 lbs. I could see him as a LB or safety. Maybe even RB.

He's the best player on the best team in the state.

4 star CB, Kalon Gervin announcing at 6. May have leaked that he's picking MSU. Very nice recruit. Fabtastic DB class over all.

Edit. He picked MSU, #2 player in the state of Michigan. 4.4 speed and great quickness. Pure corner back.

Last edited:
Texas WR, Tommie Bush trending to MSU, 5 crystal balls in a row including from some of the national guys and the Texas 247 guy. He's a top 200 recruit, but I think he's insanely underrated. 6-5, 195 lbs and has run a laser timed 4.46 forty. Excellent leaper with fantastic body control. His profile screams 5 star, not sure how any WR in the country can be ranked higher than a Texas kid playing at the highest level of high school football in the country with that size and speed.

It's between Texas and MSU for Bush. He visited for the PSU game where 6-4 Felton Davis III went off for 12 catches and almost 200 yards.

Last edited:
Drama free signing day, all 20 commits have their letters in as of 10:25 am.

Really like the early signing period and I think it is great for drama free coaches like Dantonio.

Really good class. I think the secondary recruiting is outstanding right now. Kalin Gervin had over 40 offers and runs a 4.41 forty laser timed. Really gifted corner. He was committed to ND for a while, but changed his mind. We beat UM, Bama, USC, Penn State, Oklahoma, and whole bunch of other schools for Gervin.

Xavier Henderson is probably the star of the class, Ohio State made a significant effort to flip him in recent weeks and he held strong. Michigan, Bama, USC, and Florida State were all aiming to flip Henderson too, his senior film was impressive. Henderson will enroll early and will play next Fall, probably as Khari Willis's backup.

Davion Williams is the sleeper, he made 4 star on a couple sites, but is still very underrated. His coach, Jermain Crowell, called Williams the most freakish athlete he's ever had(Crowell has coached Joirdan Lewis, Damon webb, and Delano Hill), he was a 4 star B Ball recruit, has a 39" vertical and has run a 4.48 forty at 6-2, 185 lbs. Williams could see some time on offense or special teams too.

GA CB/S Christian Jackson is another big bodied cover corner at 6-1, 185 lbs, really good get out of GA.

S, Michael Dowell (6-0, 196)is the best athlete of the family and will join his brothers on campus.

Just a fantastic DB class to join an already loaded and young group of defensive backs at MSU.

Last edited:
A Coach says we will be signing 3-4 more players in February. I'd imagine DE, DT, and WR. Still have some plan A guys we are in on.

102-60 win tonight. Team is coming along and improving. Mainly because Bridges is getting back to 100%. A couple insane dunks by him tonight.

2019 High 3, low 4 star Athlete, Jordan Huff from Georgia commits. 247's 337th ranked player. Big time get. Think we like him as a safety, but he could see the field on offense too.

Last edited:
Back