Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Deep Ball

LKP

Matthew Stafford has got the deep ball humming. He's become far more conservative under Jim Bob Cooter, but they've opened up the passing game the last few weeks to enormous success. Against Chicago, Stafford connected on three of his five passes that traveled at least 20 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. That includes throwing Marvin Jones open for a gorgeous 28-yard score, then finding Eric Ebron for a big 26-yarder that set up Matt Prater's game-winning field goal. And suddenly, Stafford has become the league's highest-rated deep passer according to ProFootballFocus (128.6). Of course, it helps to have the big rookie back too. Stafford has found Kenny Golladay for 40-yard chunk plays in both of his games back from injury.

I was told he couldn't throw the deep ball well.

Eat your crow

The Lions just needed a healthy Oline for protection

Can we just put this whole debate to rest already. Stafford is a very, very good quarterback. Bordering on great.

He isn't Brady or Rodgers...... but I think I would take him over just about everybody else.

If anyone disagrees that's fine. I realize my opinion is my own. Think about it this way…Is there any team in the NFL, even New England, that would be in worse shape overall if they lost their quarterback? I honestly don't think there is.

Think about it this way?Is there any team in the NFL, even New England, that would be in worse shape overall if they lost their quarterback? I honestly don't think there is.

I agree with this...I think the Lions MIGHT have 1 or 2 wins right now if the starter was Dan O or Ruddock.

I'm the buzz kill on this. He's a good QB. I can agree with that. But not very very good, borderline great. Is he doing better the past few weeks, sure. But so many QB are having good success just like him.

I'm the buzz kill on this. He's a good QB. I can agree with that. But not very very good, borderline great. Is he doing better the past few weeks, sure. But so many QB are having good success just like him.

I think all fanbases are like this. Not sure its worth arguing about. I'm glad they paid Stafford again, and that we're set at qb. Gotta capitalize on him being here one of these years though. Every year, there is a glaring weakness on this team, and it plays into our demise, whether its injury related or the talent just isn't there.

I think all fanbases are like this. Not sure its worth arguing about. I'm glad they paid Stafford again, and that we're set at qb. Gotta capitalize on him being here one of these years though. Every year, there is a glaring weakness on this team, and it plays into our demise, whether its injury related or the talent just isn't there.

I don't want to argue about it either. He just needs some consistency. He needs a big game vs a good D on Thursday and the Lions as a whole need this win, badly.

Last edited:
I don't want to argue about it either. He just needs some consistency. He needs a big game vs a good D on Thursday and the Lions as a whole need this win, badly.

Agree, lose this one its over. I don't like our chances right now, that team is rolling.

Of the qb's with similar success.....how many of them have the combination of worst running game in the league and one of the worst rated Olines in the league?

Saw a stat on Philly last night in which 4 of their 5 linemen were rated in the top 4 in the entire NFL at their positions. Dominant running game. That's not taking anything from Wentz.....but holy shit wouldn't that be nice to have.

Kills me to say it, but I think we need a big week out of Eric Ebron this week. If he can provide a spark I think our offense can rough up the Vikings d. Need a defining moment from Ebron.

Of the qb's with similar success.....how many of them have the combination of worst running game in the league and one of the worst rated Olines in the league?

Saw a stat on Philly last night in which 4 of their 5 linemen were rated in the top 4 in the entire NFL at their positions. Dominant running game. That's not taking anything from Wentz.....but holy shit wouldn't that be nice to have.

It's hard to compare because as you said all teams have different makeups. Was David Carr really that bad or was he just stuck on a bad team? But I try to look at things like the dinking and dunking he's done for the better half of the past years..

Hopefully that's behind him.

Kills me to say it, but I think we need a big week out of Eric Ebron this week. If he can provide a spark I think our offense can rough up the Vikings d. Need a defining moment from Ebron.

Would be helpful. Spread him out wide more often and see if we can get him singled on a S again. Harrison Smith is a great S.....but he shouldn't be able to stay with Ebron on the outside.

Where did you see the oline ratings?

Can we just put this whole debate to rest already. Stafford is a very, very good quarterback. Bordering on great.

He isn't Brady or Rodgers...... but I think I would take him over just about everybody else.

If anyone disagrees that's fine. I realize my opinion is my own. Think about it this way?Is there any team in the NFL, even New England, that would be in worse shape overall if they lost their quarterback? I honestly don't think there is.

That's really just saying the roster is garbage... not that Stafford is better than other qbs. Which is unfair to compare to teams that have good rosters (ne for example is still probably a +.500 team without Brady most years) . Alot of other qbs do the same. Brees for instance is carrying an average roster this year imo.

As far as who id want more? Wentz is just as good, cheaper and younger. Not a ton on the list... but he's an easy choice. And i said the same thing last year prior to his breakout season.

That's really just saying the roster is garbage... not that Stafford is better than other qbs. Which is unfair to compare to teams that have good rosters (ne for example is still probably a +.500 team without Brady most years) . Alot of other qbs do the same. Brees for instance is carrying an average roster this year imo.

that's exactly what I mean, though. Maybe I should say it this way? If given a 52 man roster for the 2018 season.....and the only piece I needed to add was a starting QB.....and I had everyone to choose from (not factoring age or contract).....I'd go.....

Brady
Rodgers
Stafford
Brees
Wentz
Ryan

Just my opinion.

I've never seen a list with Matt ahead of Brees. Underrated imo, the Seattle QB. They have a bad OLINE every year.

Back