Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jeter Jersey # Retired

tinselwolverine

I posted this on the Michigan board (I imagine everybody knows that at the time Jeter was drafted by the Yankees, he had signed a letter of intent to play baseball at Michigan), but it also certainly deserves to be noted on the MLB general board.

Great ball player that did not deserve one of his Gold Gloves.

I know, right?

Eric Aybar totally should have won in 2010.

All I'm saying is Jeter was not a good SS. His range was horrific. But defense isn't the only metric anymore.. Which consider it's a defensive award is messed up..

Defensive Rankings (600 innings minimum)

1996 = 28
1997 = 18
1998 = 13
1999 = 31
2000 = 31
2001 = 29

2002 = 14
2003 = 23
2004 = 16 GG
2005 = 28 GG
2006 = 26 GG
2007 = 29
2008 = 15
2009 = 4 GG
2010 = 22 GG
2011 = 25
2012 = 26
2013 = **injured
2014 = 28

Of the 30 SS with 6500 innings from 2002-2014, Jeter ranks 27th defensively and dead last in Range. He does, however, rank 10th in Fielding %.

Advance metrics do not make Jeter into a good defensively SS. In fact, he is one of the worst.

Last edited:
I was at the game at Comerica when they commemorated him on the field with his previous coaches and family. DD game him seat #2 from Tigers Stadium. Price pitched that day and gave up something like 8 runs on 10 hits, didn't get out of the 2nd inning. Valet parking at the hotel brought my wife's Jeep back smashed up on the front end. Pretty bad weekend overall.

So now the lowest # a NYY player can wear is 11.

There was actually an article that zero is still available. Both Cashman and Gerardi said they would be fine with it if someone wanted that number.

There was actually an article that zero is still available. Both Cashman and Gerardi said they would be fine with it if someone wanted that number.

I guess that applies to 00 as well. A fair amount of MLB players have worn both 0 and 00.

Was this the story TinselWolverine?
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/230082430/yankees-retiring-numbers
IF THE YANKS RETIRED EVERY NUMBER ...
SportsOnEarth

Still available (never assigned): 0, 00, 75, 76, 78-84, 86, 89, 90, 92-98.

No, it was through a link from an article linked from an article about when Michigan regional Yankee scout Dick Grose first signed Jeter to the Yankees and the famous line, reassuring the Yankee front office, who had concerns that Jeter might choose playing college ball at Michigan before going to the pros, and might pass on being drafted at that time - "the only place that kid is going straight to Cooperstown..."

But a search engine search for Yankees and 0 or 00 brings up a bunch of articles written about it - technically, 0 is the only single digit number still available to the Yankees; pretty much every baseball fan, love, hate or indifferent to the Yankees (not that many of those) knows this.

Last edited:
No, it was through a link from an article linked from an article about when Michigan regional Yankee scout Dick Grose first signed Jeter to the Yankees and the famous line, reassuring the Yankee front office, who had concerns that Jeter might choose playing college ball at Michigan before going to the pros, and might pass on being drafted at that time - "the only place that kid is going straight to Cooperstown..."

But a search engine search for Yankees and 0 or 00 brings up a bunch of articles written about it - technically, 0 is the only single digit number still available to the Yankees; pretty much every baseball fan, love, hate or indifferent to the Yankees (not that many of those) knows this.

That line is in this link.
http://newsok.com/article/5430417
Meet Dick Groch, the scout who signed Derek Jeter.

Back