Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trump approval ratings

Gulo Blue

38% still approve on the job Trump is doing. It's been there, within ?2%, since June.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

So nothing Trump has done since June has swayed anybody.

Not Puerto Rico,
not the Russia collusion stories,
not the failure to make progress on the wall or the replacement of Obamacare,
not during the travel ban fiasco,
not when Congress found something they could be bipartisan about: a bill to prevent Trump from easing sanctions on Russia,
not when Putin kicked 700 US diplomats out of Russia and Trump either made a joke about it or thanked Putin - but either way, tucked his tail and didn't respond with the strength/aggression you'd think his remaining supporters would want,
not when he fail to condemn Neo Nazis marching in Virginia,
not when various business leaders backed out of his business leaders council,
not when the Boy Scouts issued an apology to their members for the contents of a Trump speech while Trump tells the media they claimed they loved it,
not when he attends a rally (and sends the VP to another one) for whoever that was that lost his election in Alabama, lost not in the general election, but in the primaries,
and not when he spends an unprecedented amount of time and taxpayer money golfing and visiting Mar a Lago.

None of that, even the stuff that shows him to be at odds with republicans, moved the needle on his approval ratings. I think maybe 38% of us just want to watch the whole thing burn to the ground.

We Murkins pretty much knew what Oedipussy Wrecks was gonna be like beforehand, unlike his predecessor, since he was a reality teevee star and also was a boisterous silver-spoonbred aristocrat who often grabbed the entertainment and business media spotlight with Ivana.

But he is exactly what Grover Norquist stated that the RW needed in a POTUS, someone who would rubber-stamp Congressional legislation which he would never read, or have even the slightest inkling of what it meant or its intent, created by ALEC and other K Street lobbyists, and passed by GOP majorities in Congress.

That % represents his hard-core base, who dismiss anything negative written or reported about him as being fake news.

Last edited:
I'm actually starting to come to grips with the fact that this is America now.

We value celebrity, rather than the quality of a persons character. After all, look how famous all the Kardashians/Jenners are. The leader of that group is only famous because of a leaked sex tape, and even then only because of her father and his slight connection to the O.J. Simpson case. Myley Cyrus is making Madonna look like she was a prude. And people eat this shit with a spoon! These are millions of little girls and teenagers' role models.

So I'm getting kind of numb to the fact that a large portion of the USA deosn't care what Trump is doing or not doing, they think he's the best bet because they saw him on TV when some of their other favorite celebs appeared in his mock boardroom, and therefore think they can relate to him.

So yeah, I'm coming to grips with the fact he's not going anywhere and quite a large group of people are fine with that. I also find myself making a noose from time to time...

Now he's going to "fight back" against McCain" and "it won't be pretty"?

We Murkins pretty much knew what Oedipussy Wrecks was gonna be like beforehand, unlike his predecessor, since he was a reality teevee star and also was a boisterous silver-spoonbred aristocrat who often grabbed the entertainment and business media spotlight with Ivana.

But he is exactly what Grover Norquist stated that the RW needed in a POTUS, someone who would rubber-stamp Congressional legislation which he would never read, or have even the slightest inkling of what it meant or its intent, created by ALEC and other K Street lobbyists, and passed by GOP majorities in Congress.

That % represents his hard-core base, who dismiss anything negative written or reported about him as being fake news.

What Republican majority congressional legislation has actually even come across Trump's desk for him to rubber stamp?

Trump's hard core base and the Republican base that elected the Republican congressional majority are very much not the same thing.

What Republican majority congressional legislation has actually even come across Trump's desk for him to rubber stamp?

Trump's hard core base and the Republican base that elected the Republican congressional majority are very much not the same thing.

he's been doing his damage through executive orders, party-loyal judges, and by appointing former corporate lobbyists to head the agencies they had previously been lobbying.

So....none of the 60+M who voted for Trump, also voted for Republican representatives in the HoR and Senate in prior biennial elections, and are not amongst those 38-40% of his approval ratings?

Citation required.

And regardless of what, if any legislation has or has yet to cross his desk in the Offal Orifice, he still hasn't finished a full year of his 4 year term.

he's been doing his damage through executive orders, party-loyal judges, and by appointing former corporate lobbyists to head the agencies they had previously been lobbying.

The guy is totally schizo with Congressional Republicans. One day he's throwing the Republican Congressional majority under the bus, then the next day he's out in the Rose Garden singing Kumbaya with Mitch McConnell, then the next day he's firing warning shots across the bough, as Gulo points out, at John McCain.

So....none of the 60+M who voted for Trump, also voted for Republican representatives in the HoR and Senate in prior biennial elections, and are not amongst those 38-40% of his approval ratings?

Citation required.

And regardless of what, if any legislation has or has yet to cross his desk in the Offal Orifice, he still hasn't finished a full year of his 4 year term.

I said they were very much not the same thing, I didn't say they were entirely different (this is supposed to be a little bit ironically amusing).

Trump brought a lot of new voters into the Republican party who registered and voted Republican specifically to vote for Trump, who hadn't previously been Republicans.

Did a lot of voters vote for both Trump and the nominated Republican or Republicans for Congress? Sure, a lot did, but you didn't see the normal party unity that you see in other elections.

The new Senator from Nebraska, I forget his name, didn't vote for Trump, and Governor Kasich neither endorsed nor voted for Trump - these are just a couple of examples off the top of my head.

The previous nominee, Mitt Romney, specifically tried to derail Trump on the way to the nomination - I've never seen like that happen.

Anecdotally, I know long time Republicans who voted for their Republican Congressional nominees but abstained from voting for any presidential candidate, and I know Trump supporters who became Republican to vote for Trump and weren't concerned who was elected to Congress in their districts or states.

The rift between the Republican majority in Congress and the Republican President is prima facie evidence that Trump supporters and long time Republicans are not exactly the same set.

The previous nominee, Mitt Romney, specifically tried to derail Trump on the way to the nomination - I've never seen like that happen.

Romney is still going after Trump

https://www.facebook.com/mittromney/posts/10154652303536121

"Whether he intended to or not, what he communicated caused racists to rejoice, minorities to weep, and the vast heart of America to mourn. His apologists strain to explain that he didn't mean what we heard. But what we heard is now the reality, and unless it is addressed by the president as such, with unprecedented candor and strength, there may commence an unraveling of our national fabric."

I said they were very much not the same thing, I didn't say they were entirely different (this is supposed to be a little bit ironically amusing).

Trump brought a lot of new voters into the Republican party who registered and voted Republican specifically to vote for Trump, who hadn't previously been Republicans.

Did a lot of voters vote for both Trump and the nominated Republican or Republicans for Congress? Sure, a lot did, but you didn't see the normal party unity that you see in other elections.

The new Senator from Nebraska, I forget his name, didn't vote for Trump, and Governor Kasich neither endorsed nor voted for Trump - these are just a couple of examples off the top of my head.

Anecdotally, I know long time Republicans who voted for their Republican Congressional nominees but abstained from voting for any presidential candidate, and I know Trump supporters who became Republican to vote for Trump and weren't concerned who was elected to Congress in their districts or states.

The rift between the Republican majority in Congress and the Republican President is prima facie evidence that Trump supporters and long time Republicans are not exactly the same set.

Not significant, just like those disgruntled Sanders voters, who instead 1) didn't vote 2) voted Stein 3) voted Trump or 4) voted Johnson.

And so-called "new" voters likely comprised <5% of the total vote from '12 to '16.

Not significant, just like those disgruntled Sanders voters, who instead 1) didn't vote 2) voted Stein 3) voted Trump or 4) voted Johnson.

And so-called "new" voters likely comprised <5% of the total vote from '12 to '16.

I have no idea the point you're trying to make here.

What is not significant with regard to what?

Trump's MO is to be in the media's spotlight (or crosshairs) each and every day, and Twitter is his primary means of accomplishing it. Secondary being his press secretaries, and lastly, his succubus spokesgobblins who are featured on CNN, NBC, and Faux Ruse.

Kellyanne Conway, Katrina (bullets) Pierson, Scottie Nell Hughes, Omarosa Mangault, and one other, whose name I can't fucking recall, (edit:Kayleigh McEnany) are not unlike Charles Manson's former bevy of bimbo devotees who trumpette his praises, and helped to keep him front and center, ever since he won the RNC nomination.

Last edited:
I have no idea the point you're trying to make here.

What is not significant with regard to what?

You pointed out a handful of Republicans who are at odds with Trump..one (Romney) who no longer holds office. That is not a significant amount. I posted that a rift also occurred within the Democratic party, which involved the DNC's support of HRC over Sanders, the latter who switched parties to run for POTUS as a Democrat.

It isn't that unusual for some party reps to be at odds publicly with a POTUS of their own party, since recently there were some who vehemently opposed Obama's fast-tracking of the TPP.

Last edited:
You pointed out a handful of Republicans who are at odds with Trump..one (Romney) who no longer holds office. That is not a significant amount. I posted that a rift also occurred within the Democratic party, which involved the DNC's support of HRC over Sanders, the latter who switched parties to run for POTUS as a Democrat.

It isn't that unusual for some party reps to be at odds publicly with a POTUS of their own party, since recently there were some who vehemently opposed Obama's fast-tracking of the TPP.

OK.

In post two, you referenced Grover Nordquist, who has actually never held office, referring to a hypothetical Republican POTUS fast tracking every hypothetical majority congressional GOP piece of legislation that has come across his desk.

So fast forward to now and reality.

We have a republican president and a republican majority in Congress.

The Republican Congress has not delivered a single piece of legislation to the president's desk-correct me if I am wrong.

I utterly and absolutely have no idea what point you're trying to make at all.

Have no idea, or refuse to?

I tend to think the latter.

I have already posted that Trump is still in his first year of office, more than 75% as yet to go.

But w/e have yourself a good evening.

Have no idea, or refuse to?

I tend to think the latter.

I have already posted that Trump is still in his first year of office, more than 75% as yet to go.

But w/e have yourself a good evening.

You too. Wake me up the first time Trump "rubber stamps" the first piece of legislation the Republican Congressional majority puts on his desk.

Also it isn't an absolute that this (almost) has been the first of four years with a Trump presidency and a Republican Congressional majority.

Who knows which party will hold the Congress in just a little over a year?

And wheels on the bus go round and round ,round and round .. I thought about posting a youtube clip but it was pretty bad. Almost 1 year done and three to go sadly for this GOP shit show.

Last edited:
38% still approve on the job Trump is doing. It's been there, within ?2%, since June.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

So nothing Trump has done since June has swayed anybody.

Not Puerto Rico it's not clear that this has been mucked up. several reports indicate that corruption/ineptitude at the local level has been the real issue
not the Russia collusion stories, no proof whatsoever he colluded with Russia - it's been and is still being investigated but it seems the focus is more on finding a link to trump that so far hasn't materialized than on what crime was committed and what actual harm was done.
not the failure to make progress on the wall or the replacement of Obamacare, don't care about the former but hasn't money been spent on prototypes or something like that which people may interpret as effort? The latter has been a disappointment, but more a failing of spineless Republicans in congress than Trump
not during the travel ban fiasco, the "fiasco" was largely made up nonsense by the media calling it a muslim ban, but it was recently upheld by the supreme court. That's an apparent victory and it's what the people who elected him wanted so why would that cause his numbers to go down?
not when Congress found something they could be bipartisan about: a bill to prevent Trump from easing sanctions on Russia,
not when Putin kicked 700 US diplomats out of Russia and Trump either made a joke about it or thanked Putin - but either way, tucked his tail and didn't respond with the strength/aggression you'd think his remaining supporters would want,
not when he fail to condemn Neo Nazis marching in Virginia, this never happened, the media just didn't like that he also condemned the radical leftists like antifa
not when various business leaders backed out of his business leaders council,
not when the Boy Scouts issued an apology to their members for the contents of a Trump speech while Trump tells the media they claimed they loved it, watch the video, the crowd cheered pretty vigorously throughout the speech - doesn't seem like an unfair assessment by the Trump people
not when he attends a rally (and sends the VP to another one) for whoever that was that lost his election in Alabama, lost not in the general election, but in the primaries,
and not when he spends an unprecedented amount of time and taxpayer money golfing and visiting Mar a Lago. never affected Obama's ratings, why is it a surprise that it's not hurting Trump?

None of that, even the stuff that shows him to be at odds with republicans, moved the needle on his approval ratings. I think maybe 38% of us just want to watch the whole thing burn to the ground.

I'm not a fan of Trump, but most of this stuff is made up nonsense by an extremely partisan media that reports literally everything he does as if it's the worst thing a President has ever done and LGBTQ, black and brown people are going to die because Trump got out of bed whatever day it is. The boy has cried wolf too many times. I'm not that surprised by the numbers - I'm actually more surprised that people haven't responded the opposite way based on the absurd media coverage. I shouldn't be surprised at all I guess because I don't dislike him any more or less, I'm just bored with the mass hysteria over over every tweet or soundbite.

Last edited:
Back