Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoke is interim HC at Tenn as Butch Jones fired

Michlady

That should be Hoke. Thought I had turned off autocorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea Hoke was even on staff there.

2nd job in a row where he joined a staff already on the way out, and this one was only as DLC.

I know as a team, UT was a mess this year, but at least their rushing defense was... hmm... also a mess. Really bad in fact. Team sacks... eh... avg. Tackles for loss... bad.

only 2 games left... LSU and Vandy... both at home.

I feel bad for Jones, but some of his actions were very questionable. Too concerned with being everybody's friend(covering for players, trying to be popular coach), instead of laying down the law and coaching. He has a great mind as an offensive coordinator. He shouldnt have too much trouble finding a job. Definitely would take him over Drevno. He's very Kiffen as an OC, but too much like Kiffen as a HC. I was coached by him, so my feelings on him will be a little different than others around here. But that doesnt in any way invalidate what others do feel about him. He made his own bed at UT.

I feel bad for Jones, but some of his actions were very questionable. Too concerned with being everybody's friend(covering for players, trying to be popular coach), instead of laying down the law and coaching. He has a great mind as an offensive coordinator. He shouldnt have too much trouble finding a job. Definitely would take him over Drevno. He's very Kiffen as an OC, but too much like Kiffen as a HC. I was coached by him, so my feelings on him will be a little different than others around here. But that doesnt in any way invalidate what others do feel about him. He made his own bed at UT.

I saw your first comment about feeling bad for him and thought "WTF". Then saw you have a personal relationship with him so I understand your feelings.

That said...if you want to play with the big boys you better produce. He was 14-24 in the SEC and 0-6 this year. He wasn't getting the job done. There is a big difference between CMU and the SEC.

Hope Tennessee surprises people these last two games. Just for Hoke.

We can just hope that no QB gets thrown back into a game with a concussion or some player doesn't drive a spike into the ground or something and have Hoke say something stupid about it.

We can just hope that no QB gets thrown back into a game with a concussion or some player doesn't drive a spike into the ground or something and have Hoke say something stupid about it.

The Concussion Story will never be erased from the Michigan Lore, even though Hoke's role in it was about as significant as Bob Ufer's.

Wait I'm confused. Hoke didn't have a significant role in what happened with Morris? Or am I completely mis-reading your quote?

Last edited:
Wait I'm confused. Hoke didn't have a significant role in what happened with Morris? Or am I completely mis-reading your quote?

edit: found the Bacon write up about the aftermath - it doesn't really cover the initial screw up, how the hit and wobble was missed by the medical staff, just the screw up of dealing with the press.

http://mgoblog.com/content/endzone-minnesota-aftermath

I'm tweaking the details of these bullets as I find details in old articles.

Yeah. John U. Bacon gave us as much of an explanation as we're ever going to get. The bullet points as I recall:

-The play was on an end of the field, with players in between the coaches & trainers and Morris, so visibility was bad and nobody that should have seen it, actually saw it. (Not sure what Hoke actually saw himself. The trainers said they didn't see the hit.)

-Dave Brandon had shuffled things around between who was in the press box and who was on the field. Can't recall if this included medical personnel, but Michigan was one of the few teams in the nation to have a neurologist there, and the neurologist wasn't in position to see what happened.

-Morris came off the field yelling about his leg. The trainers only looked at his leg. Nobody was thinking about his head.

-By the time Gardner lost his helmet, Morris is still limping. Hoke called for a timeout because he doesn't want to send Morris in there limping, not because he's thinking about his head.

-The refs told Hoke that Gardner could not go back in after the timeout (which they later apologized for, since Hoke was right and they were wrong.)

-So Hoke has seconds left, Morris wants in, the trainers cleared him...so he lets him go. just to hand off the ball and try to keep his leg out of it. I think whoever the next QB was didn't have his helmet ready.

-The media skewers us as the game goes on.

-Our media people have all been fired and replaced with Dave Brandon picks. They don't know how to answer, so they don't.

-Dave Brandon initiates marathon meeting where he tries to bully medical experts into saying things they don't believe.

-Dave Brandon tells Hoke what to tell the media, believing he'll get the the story straight with the medical personnel.

-Medical personnel won't budge, make Hoke look like a liar.

-Press asks about Hoke statement; Dave Brandon lies and denies talking to Hoke.

This is from USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...hane-morris-brady-hoke-dave-brandon/16465901/

Michigan's medical staff did not see the hit that caused Morris' concussion, Brandon said, a helmet-to-helmet blow from a Minnesota defender suffered in the fourth quarter of a 30-17 defeat.
Medical personnel did see Morris stumble after suffering the blow, however, but believed his wobbling to be the result of an ankle injury suffered earlier in the game — an injury for which Morris received care between possessions.

Last edited:
That all sounds good, but it falls on deaf ears with me. The coach needs to have his eye on the situation at all times. He saw his players holding him up, waving them to get his ass off the field. Take a delay of game, run on the field, whatever.

That was on him, sorry.

Last edited:
That all sounds good, but it falls on deaf ears with me. The coach needs to have his eye on the situation at all times. He saw his players holding him up, waving them to get his ass off the field. Take a delay of game, run on the field, whatever.

That was on him, sorry.

You're asking for magic and assuming to know what he saw. The trainers thought it was his leg. Why do you expect Hoke to know better than them?

That was on him, sorry.

sounds like he didn't actually see it, because his view was obscured by players on the field. He could've tried yelling at them to get out of his way, but on top of the fact that it's loud and hard to hear individual voices during football games, he didn't have a very loud voice to begin with.

Trainers that, according to Bacon, thought their jobs were on the line when they refused to lie for Dave Brandon. There's no reason to believe they insist on telling the truth under pressure and then lie about the leg thing.

I felt like the scandal was more about forcing Brandon out than Hoke; Hoke's reputation was just collateral damage from that. though by that point, I think there was little chance of Hoke remaining as head coach regardless.

There was also some issue about Brandon making Morris sign a HIPPA form so he could talk to the press about it.

Back