Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Slim chance the Pistons land top pick

They've picked between 7-9 for honestly 6 straight years. They are just good enough to not have a great pick, but bad enough to miss the playoffs.

At this point, winning or losing doesn't matter, so just win.

They've picked between 7-9 for honestly 6 straight years. They are just good enough to not have a great pick, but bad enough to miss the playoffs.

At this point, winning or losing doesn't matter, so just win.

I think we will be a playoff team next year. 5-6 seed.

I agree D... It sucks being stuck with the tires spinning...

2014 - Pre-lottery: 8 Actual pick: 9
2013 - Pre-lottery: 7 Actual pick: 8
2012 - Pre-lottery: 9 Actual pick: 9
2011 - Pre-lottery: 7 Actual pick: 8
2010 - Pre-lottery: 7 Actual pick: 7

Fun fact: In the history of the NBA lottery the Pistons have never picked higher than what they were positioned pre-lottery.

I'd be shocked if the Lakers don't get the top pick..shocked.

Well Cleveland isn't in the lottery so it has to be someone else.

Not getting the top pick is less than ideal, but it's hardly a death knell. We've had 4 straight top 10 picks and drafted Monroe, Knight, Drummond, and KCP. Monroe and Drummond are easily better than their draft position, being each one of the top 3-4 players in their draft. Knight came on strong under a good coach, and now looks to have justified his draft position. KCP isn't all that special, but in such a terrible draft throughout, he's actually showing himself to be one of the better players out of that 2013 group.

This is part of my argument against a weighted lottery. Smart drafting teams don't need top picks to find good players (and Detroit was that, even if it sucked at everything else). Meanwhile, bad drafting teams screw things up even with all the top picks (Cleveland).

Fun fact: In the history of the NBA lottery the Pistons have never picked higher than what they were positioned pre-lottery.

Cause it's Rigged !!!

Unless you count the 2003 draft pick from Memphis.

Who is your top 3 if they move up?
Who is your favorite if they stay at 8?

Top 3: Towns, Mudiay, Russell. I leave out Okafor because I don't think he can fit with Andre.
8th pick: Myles Turner, mostly upside, but could be a great fit.

If you don't think Okafor can fit with Drummond, then you definitely don't want Myles Turner.

As much as I don't like Russell, you have to take him over Mudiay. Mudiay is a PG, and they don't need another PG. Russell played the 2 also.

Top 3: I'd like Winslow, Okafor, Russell (in that order)
8th pick: Probably Stanley Johnson or Hezonja.

Yeah my top two for us are Stanley Johnson or Hezonja

Johnson struggles offensively and Hezonja is a foriegner.

Biggest negatives in my eyes for each.

The best 2 players in this draft are both centers. If they somehow luck into the #1 pick they have take the best player or trade back. Someone in the top 8 will be willing to give you 2 first rounders for the #1 overall pick.

I think Okafor and Turner are pretty different kinds of players. Though of course there's no real comparison. I would never pick Turner first if Okafor was available.

Also, I disagree that Mudiay would be avoided because he is a PG. The PGs we currently have under contract next year are Jennings (who is likely to lose significant athleticism from his injury) and Dinwiddie (who cannot be trusted to start). We could easily pick Mudiay then let Jackson walk. I put him above Russell because Mudiay is the far better athlete. Athleticism isn't everything, but it's a big deal in the NBA. Russell might become a lesser James Harden, but Mudiay could become a legitimate Russell Westbrook/healthy Derrick Rose.

The lottery takes place May 19. The actual draft is June 25.

In my perfect scenario, Detroit, OKC, and Minny get the top three picks. Detroit because they are my team. OKC because screw the NBA for keeping the pointless conference distinction for playoff teams. Minny because Wiggins needs a running mate and it would screw over the big market teams (NY/LA) at the top. In fact, if two teams jump LA, they don't even keep their pick, which would be hilarious. NY is one of the worst run franchises in the league, I would hate to see them rewarded with a top pick.

Back