Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Griffin Traded to Pistons

Monroe lol? Have you ever seen Griffin play outside of highlights? That comparison is silly.

I didn't compare the two .. But with 2 bigs your offense is going to be a lot different then it has been . Are we going to run a point foward offense through Blake or continue to run the offense a lot through Drummond ?
It is a valid question because when we had 2 bigs it was a totally different offense being run then it is now and yes I know Blake is a lot better player then Monroe. This is why it feels like a bad trade and svg is reaching .. He is completely going to have to change his offense.

Last edited:
I didn't compare the two .. But with 2 bigs your offense is going to be a lot different then it has been . Are we going to run a point foward offense through Blake or continue to run the offense a lot through Drummond ?
It is a valid question because when we had 2 bigs it was a totally different offense being run then it is now and yes I know Blake is a lot better player then Monroe. This is why it feels like a bad trade and svg is reaching .. He is completely going to have to change his offense.

Aside from the fact that Monroe and Griffin are 'bigs' they are nothing alike. That's why you can't compare the situations. Drummond and Monroe worked poorly, this is known. But Monroe can't create shots for himself, or others, like Griffin can. Griffin's health is the ONLY thing that makes this trade shaky. When it comes to individual talent, I'd say Griffin is the best player the Pistons have had since Grant Hill.

FWIW, on a few NBA forums I frequent Clippers fan are on suicide watch right now. Most of them hate this trade.

FWIW, on a few NBA forums I frequent Clippers fan are on suicide watch right now. Most of them hate this trade.

Well I'm not going to blow my brains out over the deal I just think we gave up to much in the deal. But only time will tell Maybe it will work out for Detroit .

The Pistons had to do something.. Staying status quo was doomed for failure. Now that Grant Hill made an appearance .. I was super bummed about that trade but it turned this franchise around.

Well I'm not going to blow my brains out over the deal I just think we gave up to much in the deal. But only time will tell Maybe it will work out for Detroit .

We gave up a guy who was gone after this year anyway in Bradley, a back up center that didn't play much and got a different younger higher upside back up in Reed, I don't like moving Harris but I feel he was to inconsistent and I would have NEVER gave him a max contract that he would command after next season. The pick is hard to swallow but we keep whiffing on our picks as noted before anyways and like others have said you can consider Johnson the draft pick and more so because he actually has some NBA experience now, always liked him at NC. We control one of the better players for 3 years after this and I like the potential there with him and Drummond now if he can stay healthy they should be great together.

Hope it works out. Least we have a star now if he can stay healthy .

Well it appears we won't have to wait long to see how this looks . He's suppose to be playing tonight against Cleveland

I'm OK with the trade. SVG can't draft anyway so the picks are useless. The league is built on stars. I do worry about his health and don't like his contract given his age.

Not sure how excited Griffin is going to be. A few months after he signs his extension he gets moved from LA to Detroit.

From the ESPN article

"A free agent in the 2017 offseason, Griffin met with Ballmer, coach Doc Rivers, West and several players at Staples Center in a celebration of his career. At the end of the two-hour fete, Griffin rose and spoke, telling teammates, his coach and the owner, "I want my legacy to be a Clipper."

Last edited:
Are the picks protected ? How do we get to keep the picks ?Maybe the key is Johnson in this deal . He averaged 18.2 and 10 at North Carolina I think. He was 204 lbs in college and is now 230 with little playing time . Maybe a SVG found something?

Last edited:
Johnson. Does he get any PT in Detroit ? I'm getting on board with the deal of one of the scrubs can turn into something and Blake can stay healthy. Big if on Griffins health . Maybe we can get Johnson back in the deal lol..
Remember Amir ?

https://youtu.be/cWLgOZaAWXg

Last edited:
Are the picks protected ? How do we get to keep the picks ?Maybe the key is Johnson in this deal . He averaged 18.2 and 10 at North Carolina I think. He was 204 lbs in college and is now 230 with little playing time . Maybe a SVG found something?

Protections on Detroit's 2018 first-round pick include 1-4 in 2018, 2019 and 2020, and unprotected in 2021, sources said.

I don't see much playing time for Reed or Johnson playing behind Drummond and Griffin. I wonder what the starting rotation is going to look like

C Drummond
PF Griffin
PG Smith or Galloway (Jackson when healthy)
SF Johnson or Bullock
SG Kennard

The protections seem reasonable. With Griffin on board, we should be a playoff or very late lottery team. Losing that pick still hurts, but we are generally talking about losing a depth player, not a star (or even starter). We are protected against the worst case, where we miss the playoffs and win the lottery.

The protections seem reasonable. With Griffin on board, we should be a playoff or very late lottery team. Losing that pick still hurts, but we are generally talking about losing a depth player, not a star (or even starter). We are protected against the worst case, where we miss the playoffs and win the lottery.

So if it's top 4 we get to keep the pick ? Yikes.. that's not happening unless we get lucky

Last edited:
So if it's top 8 we get to keep the pick ?

The lottery is currently only for the top three picks, with an expansion to top 4 next year. "Winning" the lottery simply means jumping into one of those picks. We are protected against winning the lottery because we keep the pick if it lands in the top 4.

I'm not sure where top 8 came from. The Pistons are currently sitting at 13th from last, and automatically jump to 15 (minimum) if they make the playoffs.

I think a lot will depend on how these other two guys pan out. I've never been a Griffin fan, as I think he got way overhyped by his dunk contest and SC highlights. He's not a superstar, he's just a star. Nowhere near the same realm as a Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Curry etc. Griffin's numbers are also declining and he ain't getting any younger. His game is predicated on his athleticism, and how many good years does he have left as a peak athlete? Injury concerns everyone knows about.

I think the odds are stacked against the Pistons for this trade to work out for the best. I really do think SVG just wanted to generate some buzz and shake things up, because we are still nowhere near a championship level team as currently constructed. We may even look back on this as a disaster if we're stuck with this huge contract for the next 4-5 years.

Pistons best move honestly would have been to tank the rest of this season. It sucks, but that's how the NBA works. I think this trade might have sealed our fate in mediocrity for the next several seasons.

Last edited:
Back