Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Griffin Traded to Pistons

Griffin is a good player. We got a couple high upside throw ins. We lose a defensive stopper who made our team defense worse according to metrics, and a good but not great forward. The downsides are 1) Griffin's health history, age with relation to his athletic game, and contract, and 2) the 1st round pick if we lose it in this year's draft (which is deep), and 3) wing depth for the near future. We could hate this deal if Blake goes downhill, neither of the throw-ins pan out, and we lose the first round pick this year. On the other hand, Blake is the best player in the deal, and we have yet to see what kind of team we can be with him. This could be a catalyst to this team's transformation.

I'm unwilling to cheer or deride this trade until we see how things pan out.

Griffin is a good player. We got a couple high upside throw ins. We lose a defensive stopper who made our team defense worse according to metrics, and a good but not great forward. The downsides are 1) Griffin's health history, age with relation to his athletic game, and contract, and 2) the 1st round pick if we lose it in this year's draft (which is deep), and 3) wing depth for the near future. We could hate this deal if Blake goes downhill, neither of the throw-ins pan out, and we lose the first round pick this year. On the other hand, Blake is the best player in the deal, and we have yet to see what kind of team we can be with him. This could be a catalyst to this team's transformation.

I'm unwilling to cheer or deride this trade until we see how things pan out.

I'll cheer for it because before the trade we sucked. Weather this works out or not at worse we'll still suck. At best, maybe we can become good.

Know what would awesome , if we didnt make the playoffs and somehow won the lottery and got top 3 pick lol .

I'm on board. Hopefully they get better and make the playoffs!!!!!!

But a LT deal maybe they get better in coming years. Not making this trade we were doomed for failure.

Why we were doomed for failure without this deal? We wouldn't be saddled with an enormous contract for a player that's really overrated and about to enter the downside of his career (if he hasn't already). Tobias Harris was a nice complementary player that could be a good piece on a contender down the road. I get that Bradley could very well have walked, so no biggie there I suppose. But we traded away a lot of future assets for nothing more than a chance at being a 5th seed and a first round exit. That is why I'm only holding out hope these other two players we got turn into something decent.

Pistons were already doing a good job of losing a lot of games lately. I know people like to mock our drafting, but that is the only way to get a good young superstar in Detroit is through the draft. I would have been perfectly happy with tanking the rest of this year and taking our chances at landing someone we could actually build around for the next 5-10 years.

This feels similar to when the Tigers got Prince Fielder. Yeah he's a big name and MLB fans know him from his highlight reel home runs. I don't have to tell you how poorly that worked out for the Tigers. I am really afraid of experiencing the same thing here.

Why we were doomed for failure without this deal? We wouldn't be saddled with an enormous contract for a player that's really overrated and about to enter the downside of his career (if he hasn't already). Tobias Harris was a nice complementary player that could be a good piece on a contender down the road. I get that Bradley could very well have walked, so no biggie there I suppose. But we traded away a lot of future assets for nothing more than a chance at being a 5th seed and a first round exit. That is why I'm only holding out hope these other two players we got turn into something decent.

Pistons were already doing a good job of losing a lot of games lately. I know people like to mock our drafting, but that is the only way to get a good young superstar in Detroit is through the draft. I would have been perfectly happy with tanking the rest of this year and taking our chances at landing someone we could actually build around for the next 5-10 years.

This feels similar to when the Tigers got Prince Fielder. Yeah he's a big name and MLB fans know him from his highlight reel home runs. I don't have to tell you how poorly that worked out for the Tigers. I am really afraid of experiencing the same thing here.

Maybe you forgot the last few years and the constant drafting at 7-9 etc. We stink. We needed something.

Because for as bad as they were playing, they'd still end up picking outside the top 10. After the top 10 in this draft, the talent falls substantially. People mock our drafting for good reason, that's a big problem.

I don't quite get the Fielder comparison. Blake's contract is huge, but Fielder's was much worse. And Griffin does basically everything well, defend, rebound, pass, etc... Fielder did about one thing well.

Last edited:
Maybe you forgot the last few years and the constant drafting at 7-9 etc. We stink. We needed something.

Yeah we needed a top 3 pick lol. I don't see this fixing much. Will just give us false hope and more mediocrity regardless is what I fear. I could very well be wrong, and hope I am.

Last edited:
Because for as bad as they were playing, they'd still end up picking outside the top 10. After the top 10 in this draft, the talent falls substantially. People mock our drafting for good reason, that's a big problem.

I don't quite get the Fielder comparison. Blake's contract is huge, but Fielder's was much worse. And Griffin does basically everything well, defend, rebound, pass, etc... Fielder did about one thing well.

I wasn't comparing skillsets. I'm comparing the fact that it was a big name that fans got excited about at first, until they realized it wasn't worth it and that it was mostly fools gold. Also at the time of the signing Fielder's contract was the 5th richest in the MLB on a per year basis (behind ARod, Pujols, Cliff Lee, and Ryan Howard) . Griffin also is the 5th most expensive in the NBA this season currently behind only Curry, Lebron, Millsap, and Gordon Hayward. Not the same length of contract though so Fielder was a bit worse for sure.

Oh and Griffin's never won jack shit just like Fielder too I suppose. All while being part of some pretty stacked teams.

Last edited:
Yeah we needed a top 3 pick lol. I don't see this fixing much. Will just give us false hope and more mediocrity regardless is what I fear. I could very well be wrong, and hope I am.

Imo, this improves the team.

Back