Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spotlight (2015)

I'm not wrong, St. Augustine is. And he's not.

It was that long ago?

I guess I'm aware of the "graven image" commandment from exposure to other ten commandments, like the (Jewish, I guess) 10 commandments in the Charleton Heston movie.

This is the first I've known that the Catholics have their own special edited (by Augustine, I guess) version of the 10 commandments.

I'm pretty sure the Exodus version existed before Augustine came along.

It was that long ago?

I guess I'm aware of the "graven image" commandment from exposure to other ten commandments, like the (Jewish, I guess) 10 commandments in the Charleton Heston movie.

This is the first I've known that the Catholics have their own special edited (by Augustine, I guess) version of the 10 commandments.

I'm pretty sure the Exodus version existed before Augustine came along.

When you consider Exodus as the foundation for the commandments there is some room to organize them differently. And the "graven image" clause is covered in the first commandment. "Only Him shall you serve."

When you consider Exodus as the foundation for the commandments there is some room to organize them differently. And the "graven image" clause is covered in the first commandment. "Only Him shall you serve."

In that case maybe we should organize out the adultery commandment, and expand the coveting prohibition to wife neighbors wife and neighbors servants.

Never watched it but my Mom loved it.. I think I'm afraid to. This will be a poor analogy but it's like that UM-State game this past season. If you're a UM fan, that's not a game you want to re-watch..

Sometimes being a Catholic is tough.

Last edited:
religion is a waste of time

Not really.

It can lead to some really fun discussions.

You discuss it all the time.

Right now, I'm picturing Paul Giamata as Augustine rationalizing deleting the 2nd commandment because Greeks and Romans have such a rich history of visually portraying their gods as such before this Jesus character came along with his monotheistic and the whole "thou shalt have no graven images" baggage.

If it weren't for religion we wouldn't have those cool Robert Langdon movies. I'm looking forward to the third one "Inferno".

If it weren't for religion we wouldn't have those cool Robert Langdon movies. I'm looking forward to the third one "Inferno".

I had no idea it the book was even written. Saw the ad during the Olympics and looked it up.

Back